Toronto Forma | 308m | 84s | Great Gulf | Gehry Partners

One thing's for sure, this ain't no cookie-cutter of a construction project - it'll be quite the undertaking. That being said, I'm still surprised they haven't gone into any pre-registration, sales, or marketing.
My guess is that maybe the floor layouts would have to change slightly based on what the qualified construction team says? I'm no insider but I imagine that the final design will be slightly different than what we've seen. It's not exactly honest or sound to start sales if all the floor plans aren't completely finalized. Even if 90% are probably set, there could come a change that would require some changes through the tower. For each unit sold the window of adjustment narrows.

Frank Gehry’s Sunset Strip project is approved.

Gehry state:"‘I will do my best to make you proud’". People fawned over the project, with one woman saying, "Would you say no to a Michelangelo?

Work to start soon.

I disagree, Gehry doesn't just walk away when the drawings are done. This is a work of art and he will be involved with the execution.

You were wondering why this project was not moving forward. The timing is entirely up to the developer. The fact that Gehry's firm will be involved in preparing the final plans (although I assume the local architects will be carrying the heavy load) doesn't change that. Does he have a financial stake in the project or something?

Just an interesting comment. I think these buildings will sell well, with similar sentiments as the woman above.

Okay. But it doesn't change the fact that the developer will determine when to start sales, and regardless of what a lady in LA thinks, Gehry's priority list isn't likely impacting that determination.

That's right. It shouldn't take the broker more than a few phone calls. It's only 2000 at a premium price.

I remember a year ago - pre-TIFF - This project was already very quiet but everyone thought there would at least be an information building if not a sales pavilion to take advantage of the TIFF crowds and attendees. But nothing materialized. Now, a year later, still nothing has materialized and no information of any sort. I can't help but wonder if this hasn't simply fallen well down Gehry's priority list given the large number of big projects he has underway and in planning and his not-inconsequential age. Toronto may be where he is from but LA is the city he loves. That has have an impact on his priorities.

Gehry's design is pretty much completed for this project, and Projectcore are looking for the right construction team now. Not just anyone can build this development.

Just because you haven't heard anything, doesn't mean that nothing is happening. This went in for SPA on April 1, 2016. Updated drawings are available at the below:

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3248484&isCofASearch=false

From the link.

Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at Tuesday Aug 2, 2016 4.52.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at Tuesday Aug 2, 2016 4.52.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at Tuesday Aug 2, 2016 4.52.36 PM.png
    986.8 KB · Views: 4,486
with the loss of the three-tower proposal, was it made up for by making the buildings stockier?
The western tower particularly seems a bit stocky compared with how I remember this proposal from year/s ago.

with the loss of the three-tower proposal, was it made up for by making the buildings stockier?
The western tower particularly seems a bit stocky compared with how I remember this proposal from year/s ago.

I think it partially has to do with the angle of the schematic drawing. Few will actually experience it from this angle anyway.
As for the form of the buildings, as a whole, I think they are slimmer (especially the west tower which is taller than the original 3 tower version). That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about the building forms themselves, as they are extremely abstract, even when compared to New York by Gehry / 8 Spruce Street, which seems to have a more coherent build form. These are possibly the most daring pieces of architecture of any skyscraper built or proposed in the city, or quite possibly even the continent for that matter. It takes the design language of 8 spruce up to 11, which hopefully ends up being a good thing.

Back