Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Now that more can be seen with the naked eye from around the city, I'm not sure I like the large squares. I thought it would be more seamless.

You may say that there were square there before, but they were much smaller so from a distance, they only appeared to give the building a texture. Now we have this visible pattern I'm not too sure about.

I completely agree MetroMan. What used to make the building more dynamic is now being turned into something quite flat and uninspired.

I completely agree MetroMan. What used to make the building more dynamic is now being turned into something quite flat and uninspired.

Well, that nails it folks - FCP's makeover has been definitively shot down. Why bother finishing it to see how it will look when completed? I mean, you already know it will suck after only the top floor of the building's 70+ floors have been finished. That should be enough incentive for them to stop.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a lot more exciting when you never knew if a panel would suddenly detach and dive right at you walking below. There's nothing like the possibility of sudden death to spice up a building envelope!

This dull, boring, SAFE new FCP cladding shows that Toronto has become far too danger-conscious.

Um... aren't the vertical lines just the cabling that holds up the scaffolding? And I am assuming the horizontal lines will be mostly masked by the windows, except right at the top where there are no windows.

Um... aren't the vertical lines just the cabling that holds up the scaffolding? And I am assuming the horizontal lines will be mostly masked by the windows, except right at the top where there are no windows.

What do you mean!? The scaffolding is being held up by an anti-gravity device isn't it!?
Or so they thought...

Last edited:

You may be right. From the picture below, the vertical lines are dark, consistent with cables and the horizontal lines are white, which is just the gap between tiles.

FCPIMG_4254b.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out.

What you meant to say is "what used to make the building look old and dirty"

The vertical lines are groves to guide cables for things like window washing platforms and the scaffolding.

Last edited:
I would think the texture should be more apparent when it's fully complete. The fritted glass should provide texture no?

As picard102 mentioned, the vertical lines are actually hollow aluminum tracks recessed from the surface of the cladding, in which window-washing anchors slide as they rise and fall. The cables are nestled in the tracks themselves and not visible as the stages lower. Also, there will no longer be horizontal lines except above the 72nd floor, because the new glass panels will span from floor to floor. That is: From window to window.

You may be right. From the picture below, the vertical lines are dark, consistent with cables and the horizontal lines are white, which is just the gap between tiles.
Thanks for pointing that out.

The horizontal lines only appear white in that photo because they are reflecting light at the right angle. The horizontal lines are also metal and similar in colour to the vertical tracks between the new panels.

Thanks. I was really surprised at how nice it looked today with the reflections in the photo. One thing I should mention though, about 30 minutes after taking the picture, the glass switched to a very murky green tone.

Ah, nothing like some great hyperbole to end your evening. No where did I say that the dirty, falling tiles were what made the building dynamic. And believe it or not, I'm not so mentally deficient that I think this solution is worse than dangerous marble potentially crashing to the ground. My issue is with the size and treatment of the tiles, but it's nice to know that resorting to childish behaviour is what makes Urban Toronto go 'round.

Back