Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

That was for a small project. Are you sure they won't put a proper crane on top to do this? And cladding gets put up on projects all the time during the winter. No reason that wouldn't be the case here.

I was playing around with my Sketchup FCP model... just thinking about how the tower would look like if encased in different textures of glass (extending beyond the current roofline, with the mass of antennae on the roof replaced by one large antenna)

fcp1.jpg

Typical glass facade

fcp2.jpg

This facade is modified from the OCAD facade

fcp3.jpg

A multi-coloured facade

fcp4.jpg

A grate-like facade

Feel free to play around with FCP...

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7b1737466c422c8290f61381f93e19a8&prevstart=0

That was for a small project. Are you sure they won't put a proper crane on top to do this? And cladding gets put up on projects all the time during the winter. No reason that wouldn't be the case here.

Ed...........I'm not sure of anything ;) I only wish they'd lose the cheap ass tv antennas on the top for something a little classier like CIBC. And replace the tinted glass with something clear or reflective. Wyliepoon, some cool concepts though the last one would be the cities largest Pigeon stoop.

This is great news. Something that would allow the building's skin to age with dignity, not disfigure and fall apart in front of millions of upward looking eyes. Almost anything would be better than it is now, a reinvention of it's skin or a replacement of similar design but of a material which will stand a better test of time. And no glass, we've got plenty of that flying up everywhere.

From wiki- it took 2 years to do the aon Center.

When completed, it was the world's tallest marble-clad building, being sheathed entirely with 43,000 slabs of Italian Carrara marble. This quickly proved to be an unsuitable cladding for the harsh Chicago winters. In 1974, just a year after completion, one of the marble slabs detached from the façade and penetrated the roof of the nearby Prudential Center Annex. To alleviate the problem, stainless steel straps were added to hold the marble in place.[2] Later, from 1990 to 1992, the entire building was refaced with Mount Airy white granite at an estimated cost of over $80 million.[1][3] (Amoco was reticent to divulge the actual amount, but it was well over half the original price of the building, without adjustment for inflation.) The discarded marble was crushed and used as landscaping decoration at Amoco's refinery in Whiting, Indiana.[1]

adma will be here any minute to give you all heck for the recladding fantasies.

Good to hear...Granite is a far superior material to marble.

I find it looks a lot better too, a case in point is Scotia Plaza, which still looks shiny and new. White granite should look nice.

Funny how nobody's yet mentioned what's by far the most truly pertinent white-granite reference point: *2* FCP...

Anything that keeps FCP white is good, so white granite = good.

Do you think they'll crush the marble? Will it end up at the Leslie Street Spit? It has to be valuable.

Vaughan is still growing rapidly...there must be McMansions up there willing and able to use all sorts of cheap but classy marble.

That's an insane amount of marble. Could provide countertops for new condos for years to come!

Yeh i wouldn't be too keen on altering the appearance of the building that much. Like Aon, I think the white works well. It would be be cool if they used a polished granite, it might make the building glisten more.

Yeh i wouldn't be too keen on altering the appearance of the building that much. Like Aon, I think the white works well. It would be be cool if they used a polished granite, it might make the building glisten more.

I hope they do. It could look just like marble.

The people who want the cladding changed to glass or some stupid shit are the same people who wanted to "update" city hall in the '80s. Hands off!

If it's granite, it won't. The particular marble that was originally specified for FCP and AON by the architect (the same one for both buildings) was about the worst possible cladding material, guaranteed to rapidly stain and lose strength (on a timescale of years). The granite that replaced the marble on AON still looks fine after several decades, and has suffered no weathering problems that I know of.

Bill

Try 15 years. It was resurfaced between 1990 and 1992.

Back