Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

So, so cynical... this is good news not a hoarding joke.

Ah well. Note to file... don't share light at the end of the tunnel type news unless you have a good pic of the light and the tunnel.

lol @ tunnel... I guess we need a design review panel for hoarding now!

Im looking forward to the announcement in January!

My best guess:

Given

1. all the new downtown core office space coming on line in the next three years;
2. FCP's indoor air quality is some of the worst in the core; and
3. all of the new buildings are LEED cert. or higher;

it would be reasonable for Brookfield to fear for FCP's vacancy rate, and I imagine serious renos will be needed to stay competitive.

lol @ tunnel... I guess we need a design review panel for hoarding now!

Im looking forward to the announcement in January!

As I recall, FCP had quite an elaborate hoarding when constructed. It was a series of blue and white modules and I vaguely recall some pointy bits, but not too pointy for the UT crowd.

how would people feel if FCP was done up with an all glass facade, replacing all the marble, kind of like the Cheung Kong Centre in Hong Kong? Blah to more glass, or holy crap yah! ;) ;) ;)

chin4862.jpeg

No way, leave it the way it is. There's more than enough room for another tower clad with lit glass.

Even replacing dirty tiles like they've been doing for years was a mistake. They should have left the dirty ones on so that it wouldn't look as noticible. Now instead of just big city grime, which actually looks cool if left alone, there are checkerboard patches of new and old dirty tiles and it looks sloppy as hell.

If anything, they should replace the marble with the same granite that was used on the Aon tower in Chicago. At least that would preserve the colour as the architect intended.

No way, leave it the way it is. There's more than enough room for another tower clad with lit glass.

Even replacing dirty tiles like they've been doing for years was a mistake. They should have left the dirty ones on so that it wouldn't look as noticible. Now instead of just big city grime, which actually looks cool if left alone, there are checkerboard patches of new and old dirty tiles and it looks sloppy as hell.

If anything, they should replace the marble with the same granite that was used on the Aon tower in Chicago. At least that would preserve the colour as the architect intended.

Maybe they should continue with the checkerboard theme with different shades of silver.

That would look the best, but didn't the AON recladding end up costing more than the original construction cost?

^well then ... add addtional leasable square footage (i.e. height) to recoup some of the costs

3D: Weren't you the one who did the little suggested rendering years ago, with blue glass replacing part of the marble?

I'd be in favour of covering it completely with glass. That marble has to go. It looked bad, viewed from TD Centre at Doors Open two years ago (and even worse in photos) but viewed from the island airport in the summer, I couldn't believe how bad it looked. It mars the entire skyline. Terrible first impression entering the city there.

Addendum: Also, glass would be relatively inexpensive and make a complete re-cladding feasible, as opposed to using marble.

how would people feel if FCP was done up with an all glass facade, replacing all the marble

yes yes. anything to improve that dreary hulking thing. you touch TD centre, i keell you. you touch fcp, i give you medal! fcp has absolutely no redeeming qualities i can think of. put rabbit ears on it. anything.
talk about your sears catalogue standard modern building....

yes yes. anything to improve that dreary hulking thing. you touch TD centre, i keell you. you touch fcp, i give you medal! fcp has absolutely no redeeming qualities i can think of. put rabbit ears on it. anything.
talk about your sears catalogue standard modern building....

Maybe you are on to something lawson, with your stern rejection of such unredeeming architecture. Why didn't I see that earlier? Tear it down and replace it with "your sears catalogue standard modern ... " Why didn't I think of that too? We sophisticates are slow on the uptake. Thanks for giving us a hand.

.​

Even replacing dirty tiles like they've been doing for years was a mistake. They should have left the dirty ones on so that it wouldn't look as noticible.

They weren't replacing the tiles because they were dirty. They were replacing them because they were in danger of falling off.

Thanks to 3D for the heads' up. More good news for the CBD (honestly, what's bad that's going on in that area? I can't think of anything.). It would truly be exciting if something substantial is announced.

Back