Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

fcpclad.jpg

That picture itself, details how much better this building is going to look after the re-cladding. Can't wait to see the fresh new look.

I can't imagine being 75 floors up on that platform, removing heavy pieces of marble, and then placing them on the platform with me-- knowing that I am only being held up by cables. Sliiiiightly terrifying, I'll say.

^ It's very telling about how something dramatic had to be done when the marble around the brand new BMO logos are already tarnished and dirty.

Replacing dirty tiles was a race against time that ended in a checkered pattern which is why I've always advocated for replacing them with glass. I'm glad to see it becoming reality.

any word on what they're doing with all that marble they're removing?

Ahh yes..the burgundy coloured base/cladding and then the yellow insulation. Memories of watching this multicoloured tower rise in the mid-70's. The top third was the burgundy base, middle third was yellow insulation, and the bottom third clad with marble. For those who were around back in the day, it (like the CN Tower) was a fascinating building to watch as it rose into the sky.

It was fun to watch it built - and even more fun to watch them replace the upper section of tonally mismatched marble a few months later.

The Carrara marble cladding Aalto's Finlandia Hall, which opened in 1971, weathered poorly, warped out at the edges, and was replaced ten years ago. The replacements, which were attached differently, are also warping - this time they're bulging out at the centre and turning in at the edges.

Sort of a weird question...

I have been to the top floor of FCP several times over the years and as we all know, the elevators are stacked with Even floors reached from the Lobby and Odd floors reached from the Lower Lobby. Additionally, the elevators are grouped for lower floors, mid-floors and high floors...

I haven't been in the building for years now, but if memory serves, there IS a 13th floor but there is no 71st floor. WTF? I always wanted to know why there is a 70 and a 72 in the Even elevators but there is no 71 in the Odd elevators. As far as the buttons in the elevator goes, the highest Odd floor is 69.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Nice shot!

Glad to see this happening!:)

too bad there aren't any new panels coming until next year :(

I guess we'll have to deal with an EVEN UGLIER building for the time being!... lol
:)

I'm ok with it looking like it's under construction. The status quo -- having the tallest building in Canada stained and dirty -- was completely embarrassing and unacceptable. At least now it looks like we're doing something about it.

Back