Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Who wrote the rule that an original design intent could not be revisited in time? Buildings can evolve and change just as houses or people do...I do not think there is necessarily any merit in simply re cladding in a similar material, ie granite or some other marble.

I think what you're missing is the respect people have for Edward Durell Stone and his unique approach to the International Style of using stone. It's an interesting feature of our architectural history that the tallest skyscraper received lavish marble which remained relevant with the likes of Scotia Plaza which many appreciate.

I think what you're missing is the respect people have for Edward Durell Stone and his unique approach to the International Style of using stone. It's an interesting feature of our architectural history that the tallest skyscraper received lavish marble which remained relevant with the likes of Scotia Plaza which many appreciate.

Trouble there is, Ed Stone's use of marble earned more snide derision than respect back in the day--not as something "unique", but as something pretentious and cheesy. (And in a way, that kind of judgment spilled over into the Scotia Plaza-era addiction to red granite--though red granite doesn't carry the "pretentious" associations of Carrara marble, so it's a little more off the hook.)

Trouble there is, Ed Stone's use of marble earned more snide derision than respect back in the day--not as something "unique", but as something pretentious and cheesy. (And in a way, that kind of judgment spilled over into the Scotia Plaza-era addiction to red granite--though red granite doesn't carry the "pretentious" associations of Carrara marble, so it's a little more off the hook.)

Unless I'm mistaken, Scotia Plaza granite is located on the lower floors only and transitions to vitrious enamel at a point somewhere up the tower where the naked eye cannot perceive the change (cheapening) of materials from street level. If true, this would add to your ascertian SP cladding is a little more "off the hook" when compared to pretentious FCP cladding.

I am not an architectural historian, nor do I believe that architectural historians have the final say, but we can acknowledge FCP's place in the continuum of modernist Toronto structures, marble cladding included. Nothing will change these facts. That said, there is also NOTHING wrong with a contemporary makeover.....history is history, and this is a new chapter that does not in any way mess with the design intent that was relevant to 1975. I am thrilled that someone had the guts to re-think the skin of this building, given the limitations and FAILURE of the original skin.

I am not an architectural historian, nor do I believe that architectural historians have the final say, but we can acknowledge FCP's place in the continuum of modernist Toronto structures, marble cladding included. Nothing will change these facts.

Well, it matters...not so much as in taking past judgment as dogma, but in clarifying rather than sugarcoating (marblecoating?) the context....

Unless I'm mistaken, Scotia Plaza granite is located on the lower floors only and transitions to vitrious enamel at a point somewhere up the tower where the naked eye cannot perceive the change (cheapening) of materials from street level. If true, this would add to your ascertian SP cladding is a little more "off the hook" when compared to pretentious FCP cladding.

Herr Baron
You are mistaken.Every piece of cladding up to the top is genuine Granite except off course the glass.
As i can recall the granite was from Brazil, send to Italy for cutting and polishing ,and then returned to Canada to be installed.

first67.png

The working platforms are going to be installed soon, they hoist company has men on site now

there's a strip of tiles missing near the top of the tower, looks like it covers about 10 floors. Sort of an odd way to remove them, and I didn't see any workers up there.

there's a strip of tiles missing near the top of the tower, looks like it covers about 10 floors. Sort of an odd way to remove them, and I didn't see any workers up there.

I assume you're talking about the north side. Alternating tiles have been removed horizontally next to the BMO logo.

There's a large mobile crane about 25 stories high lifting a ton of materials from vehicles on Adelaide onto the podium of FCP and the Exchange Tower right now. I'm in the tower watching it. It's pretty distracting.

Back