Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

From far away, it doesn't really look that bad since it's all pretty much the same shade of dirt. However, seeing pictures of the skyline just after FCP and TD Centre were built, it looks pretty sophisticated when it's a clean white.

Couldn't they bleach then stain-proof it somehow?

I don't know if they could stain proof it, but they could presumably coat it with something that would make the dirt wash right off, like the stuff they put on to make graffiti easy to clean. Scotch Guard for buildings!

Coating would be a great idea. It would also make it glimmer which would look really good.

I am surprised the marble haven't *really* started to warp and buckle like Aon Centre in Chicago.

Either way, I suppose they'll have to replace it with white granite, like the forementioned, in awhile. At a cost of $300M US for the latter, I might add. See O&Y being THAT generous?

GB

They will have to be, or risk losing their cachet. Can you see tenants willing to pay premium rents for a building finished in pre-cast? I'm sure that O&Y, whatever their faults, aren't going to destroy their largest and most identifiable symbol in Canada's finacial capital.

Who'd have thought, thirty years ago, when the Reichmanns pointed to a sample book and said "We'll take the white Carrera marble please, Edward", that there would be such long term consequences to their pretentious and impractical tastes? Who knew?

Well, other than the interior looking like a disco. I'm convinced that there is a light-up disco floor under that ugly carpet in the lobby.

Well, other than the interior looking like a disco. I'm convinced that there is a light-up disco floor under that ugly carpet in the lobby.

How does a white marble interior look like a disco?

Don't forget that Chicago's AON(?) Tower, formerly Standard Oil tower, had a more serious problem with the same Italian Carerra marble cladding (similar design to FCP) and they recently reclad the whole tower (not sure what material they used, maybe granite). So, it is definitely possible with enough cash.

The White marble interior plus the round stainless sconces plus the crystal chandeliers looks exactly like the sort of disco Halston might have designed for say, Marakkesh or Gstaad circa 1979. All it needs is a few spinning coloured lights and a disco ball hanging from the ceiling.

Have anyone noticed how the roof of the overhang at FCP has peeling paint?

So much for a class-A office...

GB

The Chicago building (formerly Standard Oil) was completely reclad some years ago now. When I was there last summer- the guide on our tour said it cost 80 million US to replace the marble with granite. The problem there was more serious however, it wasn't just aesthetics- the marble was actually coming off.

I really like FCP- its my second favorite skyscraper in TO after TDC.

My understanding is that the marble veneer on the Standard Oil Building was cut too thin to withstand the stresses of the Chicago climate - it started to crack and deteriorate fairly rapidly after installation. This problem was apparent before FCP was built, and the stone was cut thicker for Toronto.

"The problem there was more serious however, it wasn't just aesthetics- the marble was actually coming off."

Last year, there were times when several marble tiles were missing from FCP... I thought they had fallen off at the time. Maybe they were just taken off and not replaced for a while.

andreapalladio

"The other night I walked down Sheppard towards First Canadian Place and on the north side of the tower it looks like they've replaced more than a few of the marble panels with grey-painted metal."

I'm wondering if it's what I saw - there are two floors of cladding like that, about a third of the way up the tower. If it's the same thing, that 'band' goes around the whole tower and it looks like they are air vents.

Looks almost like a smaller version of the horizontal bands of metal that wrap around the TD Tower (a third of the way up, then about two thirds of the way, and then around the top of the TD Tower).

Back