Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

There is a definite green tint under certain lighting conditions, probably due to the glass material itself (most glass has a slight green tint unless it's specifically removed). I personally am fine with it, it's not the original pure white, but neither are the current weathered, dirty marble panels, and I rather like the faint mint green colouring.

Yes i would call it faint mint green or mint cream which is a bit lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is definitely a slight touch of mint green colour in the glass spandrels, eyes don't lie.

There is absolutely no green tint to the glass, period.

Has anyone actually seen the cladding panel up close in the lobby of FCP? There is absolutely no perceptible tint of green or any other colour. It is perfectly white.

I assume what anyone is seeing (or imagining) is just the reflection of the sky against the glass or something along those lines.

There is a big difference between seeing one panel up close in different lighting conditions than seeing a mass of the panels in outdoor lighting. The sky is definitely not green, so if the panel is "perfectly white" as you say it is, than it would reflect the exact colour of light hitting it.

Its kind of like the difference between seeing a two inch paint swatch and then seeing an entire wall painted in that colour. The difference is surprising.

There is a big difference between seeing one panel up close in different lighting conditions than seeing a mass of the panels in outdoor lighting. The sky is definitely not green, so if the panel is "perfectly white" as you say it is, than it would reflect the exact colour of light hitting it.

Its kind of like the difference between seeing a two inch paint swatch and then seeing an entire wall painted in that colour. The difference is surprising.

not necessary because white does reflect around 90% light.

More proof the FCP is green...

Compare FCP to Rogers Centre (Skydome) or even to the inflatable tennis court domes out on Polson Pier. Those are white... FCP, not so much. ;)

attachment.php

(Courtesy reaperexpress over at the Trump thread found here: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?475-Trump-Tower-Toronto-(Talon-60ish-Zeidler)/page387 )

In that case 250 Yonge and 1 Dundas West are green also since they appear the same colour as FCP. Comparing the colour of FCP to the 'Dome or the inflatable tennis domes is not the fairest comparision since the "white" is the whole surface area of the domes. The surface area on FCP is almost half windows, thereby causing some of the window colour to bleed into the white. It's also not the greatest image quality (no offence reaperexpress, the picture is great and appreciated a lot!)

Regardless of how the panels look close up indoors, the actual effect of the cladding when installed on the building outside is bluish-green.

Yes and if we shined a giant red spotlight at it it would look red. Which is irrelevant to my point - the glass itself is white. JUST white.

Yes and if we shined a giant red spotlight at it it would look red. Which is irrelevant to my point - the glass itself is white. JUST white.
Right, but that in itself is irrelevant to the actual issue, which is that this "white" cladding looks minty bluish-green in practice. I think the question is whether this result is intentional, or instead an inadvertent result of looking at the cladding as you have, isolated and indoors, rather than in its actual application outside. If a true white were the desired result, then some other solution should have been used.

(I will also note that even the relatively dirty marble has panels that look like a more true white than the glass, so it is perfectly possible to produce a true white architectural cladding, regardless of sky reflection or other environmental effects.)

doug, in place the building cladding looks minty green -- regardless of the actual colour of the panels in indoor settings, I don't think you can deny that installed on the building they have a greenish-blue cast. I also don't think you can deny that there are materials and treatments that would not produce the same effect. That's my only point.

I also don't think you can deny that there are materials and treatments that would not produce the same effect. That's my only point.

You don't seem to understand that the colour depends on the colour of the light reflecting off of the building. there is no magic material that will change it's light absorption properties depending on the hue of the light bouncing off of it.

Back