Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

After a quick Google search and scanning a few paragraphs (which admittedly I suppose I should have done first) yes you are correct in that the 'colour temperature' of light does vary by that amount in a day. However, the scale which it is based upon is for a theoretical ideal and does not reflect temperature change in reality when light impinges on a surface. I was reacting to what seemed like you implying there was an actual temperature change that large, which would render the earth a smoldering rock. (To help illustrate why I was 'arrogant and ignorant' in my refusal, the melting temperature of all compositions of glass will be <2000 degrees Celsius, meaning even with an initial temperature of 0 degrees Kelvin you'd still be about 5200 degrees above that with the highest point of your range).

You're correct as I wasn't aware of such a scale but it would have been the same to say that the colour of light changes throughout the day instead of bring up 'colour temperature', a measurement which doesn't explain much to anyone who doesn't know that's just one way of describing colour.

Thanks for the explanation Traynor. Glad that's done with.

Xraycrystal.... Just admit you didn't know what you were talking about. You were a bit headstrong and aggressive with your comments. Of course he didn't mean that the surface of the glass was heating up by 7500 Kelvin. And besides, colour temp. is a pretty commonly described quality of light.

Next time remember that Google is just a click away.

Xraycrystal.... Just admit you didn't know what you were talking about. You were a bit headstrong and aggressive with your comments. Of course he didn't mean that the surface of the glass was heating up by 7500 Kelvin. And besides, colour temp. is a pretty commonly described quality of light.

Next time remember that Google is just a click away.

You mean except for the parts where I twice mentioned I wasn't previously aware of the scale and acknowledged he was correct?
What did he mean to imply then by bringing it up? How did it add to the conversation that simply stating natural light changes colour throughout the day, rather than "it varries by 7500 degrees Kelvin" wouldn't do?
And by far the most common way of characterizing light (besides the obvious method of just stating the name of the colour) is by its frequency in nm along the electromagnetic spectrum.

Can we now get back to talking about shiny buildings?

And by far the most common way of characterizing light (besides the obvious method of just stating the name of the colour) is by its frequency in nm along the electromagnetic spectrum.

Still backpeddling? The most common way to characterise light is to use the term colour temperature in Kelvin. White light doesn't have a single frequency, by the way. Oh, and it's measured in Hz...wavelength is measured in meters....you're pretty confused.

Last edited:
Anyone who works in the lighting trade - commercial, industrial, film/tv, etc, is familiar with the industry-standard usage of degrees Kelvin to characterize wavelength quality (colour) of light; Xray, you sound like an overly-opinionated, under-educated high school kid. This site seems to be about opinions over fact much of the time. UT is a great forum but I wish that people would think a little longer before posting opinions when they have absolutely no education or knowledge in the area of specialization that they post their 'two cents' in.

Anyone who works in the lighting trade - commercial, industrial, film/tv, etc, is familiar with the industry-standard usage of degrees Kelvin to characterize wavelength quality (colour) of light; Xray, you sound like an overly-opinionated, under-educated high school kid. This site seems to be about opinions over fact much of the time. UT is a great forum but I wish that people would think a little longer before posting opinions when they have absolutely no education or knowledge in the area of specialization that they post their 'two cents' in.

Also, anyone who's ever adjusted their monitor settings should know about colour temperature.

Anyway, in a few years FCP will be covered in dirt and that ought to mitigate the minty-ness. Maybe they were thinking ahead. :)

Holy sh*t... Seriously, what is it you all would like me to say?

Yes, I miss-spoke, I meant to say wavelength in nm, not frequency.
In academia at least (outside of certain realms of physics perhaps), the electromagnetic spectrum is much more common. Sorry, I wasn't aware everyone here was in the lighting and photography industry.

Also just manually calibrated the colour of my laptop monitor and nowhere did I see mention of colour temperature. How it would be relevant if I did though, I'm not sure?

Maybe once the "New to UT" is no longer under my name, that is if I find it worth my time in the future to constantly defend myself against personal attacks (e.g. "arrogant and ignorant", "headstrong and aggressive", "overly-opinionated, under-educated high school kid", "absolutely no education or knowledge in the area of specialization") on here, it wouldn't seem as if I've become the target of an open season.
But alas I've learned my lesson, there is no room for debate with those all-mighty few. This is a place strictly for those of the construction, architectural (and apparently lighting?) profession, so I will sit down and shut up.

FYI.....the counter in the kiosk about the FCP project in the lobby has moved down a floor, to 58.

Feb. 23rd:

Another two floors completed as of today. That's just a little under two weeks per floor, pretty impressive given the weather in the past month.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Today the platforms on the east side were lowered completing another two levels since Feb. 23rd.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Holy sh*t... Seriously, what is it you all would like me to say?

Yes, I miss-spoke, I meant to say wavelength in nm, not frequency.
In academia at least (outside of certain realms of physics perhaps), the electromagnetic spectrum is much more common. Sorry, I wasn't aware everyone here was in the lighting and photography industry.

Also just manually calibrated the colour of my laptop monitor and nowhere did I see mention of colour temperature. How it would be relevant if I did though, I'm not sure?

Maybe once the "New to UT" is no longer under my name, that is if I find it worth my time in the future to constantly defend myself against personal attacks (e.g. "arrogant and ignorant", "headstrong and aggressive", "overly-opinionated, under-educated high school kid", "absolutely no education or knowledge in the area of specialization") on here, it wouldn't seem as if I've become the target of an open season.
But alas I've learned my lesson, there is no room for debate with those all-mighty few. This is a place strictly for those of the construction, architectural (and apparently lighting?) profession, so I will sit down and shut up.

Don't worry bout the jerks....some people feel the need to pile on here....I dont get?... it they smell blood and all have to add their two cents.

by me

sany1006z.jpg

Back