Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

The marble cladding is looking quite filthy these days

5532647217_be56677d29_b.jpg

Arguing over the internet about nuances of colour is a total crapshoot. Unless you're all running the same monitors on similar machines, have them calibrated identically, and are looking at them from the same angle. This is why there's an entire industry devoted to colour matching and standardization.

I you didn't even mention how the pictures were taken and the amount of light available on that particular day. The "colour" of the cladding will always change, such is the nature of glass. The best thing to do is judge in person. But really, is it that big of a deal? We can all agree it looks amazing compared to the weathered marble.

The "colour" of the cladding will always change, such is the nature of glass.
I have yet to see any photo of the cladding, or see it in any visit, where it did not have a bluish cast. The colour is more pronounced at some times than at others, but it is always bluish, and not a pure white.

And yes, it absolutely looks better than the current state of the marble.

Color aside... is it me or have they not moved for awhile?

It feels like they've been at about the same level for a while, does anyone know if there's a problem?

Color aside... is it me or have they not moved for awhile?

It feels like they've been at about the same level for a while, does anyone know if there's a problem?

They're moving along just fine. The west half of scaffolding was moved down on Sunday or Monday, once the east side comes down (probably this weekend or early next week) two more levels will have been completed so they're on schedule of one floor every two weeks.

Quote: bleeepbluuup...

Arguing over the internet about nuances of colour is a total crapshoot. Unless you're all running the same monitors on similar machines, have them calibrated identically, and are looking at them from the same angle. This is why there's an entire industry devoted to colour matching and standardization.

Yes and no...

While all our monitors are unique and calibrated differently, each forumer can do a simple comparison of another object in any particular photograph that is completely white and gauge FCP's whiteness in comparison. A great example of this is the above photograph that Caltrane took down Bay Street. The picture shows FCP at the top and a TTC bus at the bottom. The top of the bus is clearly white in that photo and lighting, while the FCP is distinctly green.

Last edited:
They're moving along just fine. The west half of scaffolding was moved down on Sunday or Monday, once the east side comes down (probably this weekend or early next week) two more levels will have been completed so they're on schedule of one floor every two weeks.

The info centre in the main lobby is still reading 59th floor. I'll watch for the change....

There is absolutely no green tint to the glass, period.

Has anyone actually seen the cladding panel up close in the lobby of FCP? There is absolutely no perceptible tint of green or any other colour. It is perfectly white.

I assume what anyone is seeing (or imagining) is just the reflection of the sky against the glass or something along those lines.

Regardless of how the panels look close up indoors, the actual effect of the cladding when installed on the building outside is bluish-green.

Back