Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

I've always liked this tower, despite the grumblings from the architectural experts that it is a clumsy example of the Int'l style. For me it was our equivalent of the old Standard Oil building or perhaps even the WTC in Manhattan. As the largest tower in Commonwealth and the tallest skyscraper in the world out side of NY and Chicago at the time, it was a symbol for Toronto that we were also a dominant centre of finance and influence. I would have liked it to have been restored to its original white as built by Olympia and York. As it stands now it looks less than the solid 'ivory tower' that was intended by the Reichmann's. Yes it's cleaner looking, but the dark corners now force the white to register as a greenish paneled facing- and with this, for me anyway, the overall presence of the building has been diminished.

I've always liked this tower, despite the grumblings from the architectural experts that it is a clumsy example of the Int'l style. For me it was our equivalent of the old Standard Oil building or perhaps even the WTC in Manhattan. As the largest tower in Commonwealth and the tallest skyscraper in the world out side of NY and Chicago at the time, it was a symbol for Toronto that we were also a dominant centre of finance and influence. I would have liked it to have been restored to its original white as built by Olympia and York. As it stands now it looks less than the solid 'ivory tower' that was intended by the Reichmann's. Yes it's cleaner looking, but the dark corners now force the white to register as a greenish paneled facing- and with this, for me anyway, the overall presence of the building has been diminished.

You know, to me the greenish tone really only registers well up close. In most of the photos we've seen so far, the reclad portion is coming out as very white--much whiter than the marble it's replacing, and this is the impression I've been getting even from as close as the back side of the Canada Permanent building. I'll have to see if the green starts to register from that standpoint as they progress down the building.

And I'd agree with you more about its place in establishing Toronto's place as a financial capital had it not been preceded by the slighly less tall, but architecturally superior TD Centre. It just suffers by comparison.

I've always liked this tower, despite the grumblings from the architectural experts that it is a clumsy example of the Int'l style. For me it was our equivalent of the old Standard Oil building or perhaps even the WTC in Manhattan.

If you mean Standard/Amoco/Aon in Chicago, well, the equivalents you raise were no less subject to "grumblings from experts".

As the largest tower in Commonwealth and the tallest skyscraper in the world out side of NY and Chicago at the time, it was a symbol for Toronto that we were also a dominant centre of finance and influence.

Though a visual-symbolism problem w/FCP was that, ironically enough, it wasn't tall or dominant *enough*, i.e. situated where it is w/TD and Commerce as precedessors (and *behind* them, from a skyline POV), it was but the summit of a cluster rather than a prima donna presence. (Then again, for those who loathed the overweening Yama-Stone-ki banality of WTC and Standard, that might have been a mitigating *plus*.)

I think it looks good so far looking up from the base of I.M. Pei's Commerce Court West Tower.

5530862206_8e24a6ac1f_b.jpg

I think the green looks..........green.

I've heard of "bluing" to make whites whiter but never green.

The green just doesn't work and I cannot figure out where on earth the idea of using green could have come from.

BMO doesn't use green at all - who does?? why was it used ??

I'm sorry, maybe its just me, but I cannot see green in it at all. I remember in one picture with very specific lighting conditions and photo angle (from the cn tower i think it was?) it looked very feintly green, but other then that, nothing.

I've gotta say it looks great so far. The white looks whiter and the black contrasting the white looks incredibly sharp. The tower looks taller, sleeker and younger, I'm just so impressed with this so far :)

The only thing I hope for is if someday they add fins. I could totally see this happening if we get a tower proposal to be slightly taller then FCP and then the ego kicks in and they try to re-claim the tallest status.

I think the green looks..........green.

I've heard of "bluing" to make whites whiter but never green.

The green just doesn't work and I cannot figure out where on earth the idea of using green could have come from.

BMO doesn't use green at all - who does?? why was it used ??

The panels are made of glass, and a lot of glass has a faint green tint. That's why we see so many slightly greenish-looking buildings.

One of us is colour blind. There is a definite green undertone in every photo I've seen to date (and in person, as I see it outside my window). Yes, it's faint, but it's not snow white. OK, it's not copper, it's brass. I do very much like the delineation down the corners. Can't wait to see this thing finished. I know there's alot involved in the reclad but it just seems like it's taking forever! (bottled impatience)

Last edited:
I just stared at the last 5 pages of pics and couldn't find this supposed green in any of them. I've also seen this building up pretty close and didn't notice any green (granted I wasn't looking for it).
Can't really make that argument that it's a reflection off of nearby green towers as I don't think the cladding is low enough down the building yet for such an effect.

I can somewhat see a hint of green in the old marble, but the new cladding looks pretty damn white to me. lol

I also don't see any green in pictures or in person. I think the people seeing it are just imagining it..

In some kinds of light, there is no green tint, whereas in other kinds of light (especially overcast days), there is a very very pale green tint. And trust me, I'm not colour blind.

There is a definite green tint under certain lighting conditions, probably due to the glass material itself (most glass has a slight green tint unless it's specifically removed). I personally am fine with it, it's not the original pure white, but neither are the current weathered, dirty marble panels, and I rather like the faint mint green colouring.

There is a definite green tint under certain lighting conditions, probably due to the glass material itself (most glass has a slight green tint unless it's specifically removed). I personally am fine with it, it's not the original pure white, but neither are the current weathered, dirty marble panels, and I rather like the faint mint green colouring.

It's true, in fact there are very few lighting conditions or angles where it doesn't have a green tinge.

Back