Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

Peter Kuitenbrouwer never really explains in that story just what milestone it is that Daniels are celebrating, and the term "topping off ceremony" is left hanging. There's a prodigious girder that will sit atop the Lightbox, yet the five storey Lightbox is only four storeys so far? (And only at one end.)

Meanwhile, DanInToronto's photos show that this building is starting to reveal its true heft. Yes, as others have noted, the renders have been off so far, not truly revealing the dense urban place that will exist once this project is finished. This building will be as transformative for its area as Maple Leaf Square and Telus are for theirs: this building will literally extend the core, and we'll end up seeing King and John in a completely different way.

I can't wait to see films here either.

i'd have to disagree with most of the members on the forum. i really don't think the renders were that misleading. i've seen quite a few and the images clearly show lightbox's podium rising 2-3 stories above the surrounding buildings and theaters, particularly in the 3D renderings done by Spine 3D (not sure if you guys remember, but they were posted a long time ago). even in the original renderings, the figures walking by on the sidewalk are truly tiny in comparison to lightbox.

also, excellent point made by 42. thanks to lightbox, rbc and the ritz, not to mention countless other highrises, the core is indeed expanding west.

Last edited:
To me the renderings (like usual) were misleading in terms of how close this building is to others nearby, and specifically in regard to how narrow King Street will feel, and how much this will overpower it. I agree that the animations were more realistic in that regard, as their virtual world clearly demands that.

I'm not complaining mind you. Renders tend to separate what the developers want to sell from everything around it: they are created to help you focus on the product, not reflect the surrounding urban jungle with precise detail.

I believe that most marketers see dense urban form as a drawback to sales, despite the fact that there are a number of us who take delight in the cheek-to-jowl of city life. Ultimately condo sales in the core in the last several years prove that many of us are willing to plunk down our dollars for exactly that.

You guys also have to keep in mind, that it doesn't look as sleek as the finished product (hopefully) will be. Right now you're seeing all the hoarding and falsework, and it will change once glass is covering the podium.

I'm also curious what the topping off is supposed to mean. I think it's a topping off of Lightbox.

3264297339_947099378b_b.jpg

^Yes, but this is the 'entertainment' district and presumably an enormous theatre billboard or marquis for the festival centre would go there?

Maybe in these tough times Tewder would like them to employ a Marquis over a marquee.

Or maybe it's this: if Tewder is misspelt Tudor, then Marquis is misspelt Marquee?

... well imagine my embarrassment:D ... nothing short of a Duke should be there of course!

February 15 2009 update

Southwest View - one ugly piece of concrete right now
IMG_3382.jpg

Southeast View
IMG_3381.jpg

Looks like only one or two floors to go on the podium on the east side. They fell behind on the west portion because of those huge steel beams they put in a couple of weeks ago. Tower portion should start by April, maybe sooner.

Back