Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

What's spawning all this fear anyway?
We haven't really seen anything showing they're having any problems with funding.

The building is still under construction last time I walked by - slow as hell like usual - but there's been very little progress in any building over the last week due to the temperature :(

What's spawning all this fear anyway?
We haven't really seen anything showing they're having any problems with funding.

There were some articles posted within this thread a while back stating that they are still short of their fundraising goal by some tens of millions.

It's definitely getting built, but the quality of materials used will go a long way to determining the overall quality of the design.

I got a call from TIFF awhile back for a survey on the festival and what I thought of the Bell Lightbox. I told them that while the building is cool, I don't actually care whether the festival has a physical HQ or a museum or whatever. For me the film festival is about movies, not a building.

Of course I don't have a few million kicking around either, so I don't know how much my opinion is worth.

of course this building needs an hq. it's for tiff. having a new, modern, centralized hq qill benefit the organization immensely, consequently improving the festival itself and therefore helping the city in general. aside from practical reasons, it looks impressive and gives the festival group a greater sense of authority, legitimation and pride.

the museum, studios, and teaching centres are a terrific idea. it will only bring more cultural institutions for citizens and tourists to enjoy. this part of the development will solidify toronto as a film giant. more importantly it will show toronto is not only a great place to watch brilliant movies, but also to MAKE brilliant movies.

18 January 2009 photo update

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

Whats up with this one,seems like it is moving really slow.
I am going to place this one in the category to still be a stump since it has advanced passed the category to be capped.

Last edited:
The podium of this building is extremely complex. Plus it's winter. Watch for things to really pick up I'd say come April.

The podium of this building is extremely complex. Plus it's winter. Watch for things to really pick up I'd say come April.

Actually i am pretty positive about the Bell Lightbox being a big part of Toronto,add the Ritz,Four Seasons and Trump and we may be just becoming that world class city that everyone hopes one day we will be.

toronto is a world class city, but there are varying degrees and distinctions within that category. i don't think we have to argue about that. a few towers, beautiful as they may be, do not determine the worth of a city.

toronto is a world class city, but there are varying degrees and distinctions within that category. i don't think we have to argue about that. a few towers, beautiful as they may be, do not determine the worth of a city.

I don't think he meant it that way.
The towers he mentions are 5 star hotels (which we have none of right now), and a building for showcasing a huge film festival. These buildings will definitely help with being "world class".

I dont understand this about categories, either your a player or not there is no in between,
Three new 5 star hotels and a new cultural institution structured around five state-of-the-art cinemas doesnt determine the worth of a city?

Toronto is not yet a world-class city unless you mistakinly think that by just having many cultures here constitutes us as one.

look i think toronto is a world class city for several reasons and NOT for the simple fact that we are multicultural. but i don't wanna get into that argument cause we'll be here for hours typing furiously.

that aside, do you even live in toronto? whenever you post you always seem to make assumptions about the city that are untrue while also being unfamiliar with architectural styles, where buildings are being built and the names of certain structures.

and yes, all of the structures you mentioned are welcome additions but how does there creation instantly determine whether toronto is world class? there isn't some quantified checklist or numerical equation that determines world class. admittedly, the standards are highly subjective and intangible. anyway, the aggressive attitude.

Last edited:
but i don't wanna get into that argument cause we'll be here for hours typing furiously.

that aside, do you even live in toronto? whenever you post you always seem to make assumptions about the city that are untrue while also being unfamiliar with architectural styles, where buildings are being built and the names of certain structures.
anyway, the aggressive attitude.

Well you seem to be getting frustrated and making false acquisitions of me.I dont usually waste my time getting in to some useless discussion with a narrow minded individual that posts in capital letters I LOVE THE WAY WE ARE ANYWAY!
And yes away from the last two years working in Europe,i live and was born and raised in Toronto,so if you do not like my posts you can kiss my ass.

To all:

If you guys are compelled to act like juveniles, please do so elsewhere - or we will help you do so. You will not be warned again.

AoD

Back