Toronto Festival Tower and tiff Bell Lightbox | 156.96m | 42s | Daniels | KPMB

taken today: (not much change)

IMG_8651.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

I am amazed at just how slow this thing is progressing. I don't think I've ever seen a building rise so slowly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they start digging this one long before RC? And look at the difference between them now.

This one will have a huge impact on the area, am so looking forward to it rising.

It's amazing just how slow this thing is moving along. I believe they started digging long before RBC just down the street. Now RBC is soaring up in the sky and this thing has barely hit ground-level at some points.

^RBC started digging around Sept/Oct '06, this started April '07, and is a bigger site and deeper hole. I think it has moved at a decent pace.

I am amazed at just how slow this thing is progressing. I don't think I've ever seen a building rise so slowly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they start digging this one long before RC? And look at the difference between them now.

I hear an echo. Also, Union (Telus) Tower was slow until just recently.

Hm.... it does appear this project is coming up quite slowly ... although I must say it will be a good addition to King St once completed

My question is ... I have heard that Daniel's does not build the best product (in terms of quality), is that true? what's the implication on this project?

I don't think it's progressing slowly at all. Look back several pages to where they were excavating and then building the parking levels. Construction progress was more rapid than most projects in recent memory!

The podium level is complex and is understandably taking a longer time to build. Most projects appear to slow down once they reach the podium level. See RBC, Ritz, Telus/Union, and any other tower built with a podium. This comes up in every thread and I wonder how long it'll take for people to catch on that podium = illusion of construction slowdown.

Podiums are slow. See also: Telus, Murano, London, the Ritz, MLS.

However, if you're concerned about the speed of construction, I'm sure they'd be welcoming if you showed up on-site with a hard hat and a lunchbox. Crowdsourcing is all the rage these days...

With the price gouging TIFF has just released for this fall's festival - especially in regards to tickets for shows at the Elgin - construction of the podium should pick up speed shortly.

My question is ... I have heard that Daniel's does not build the best product (in terms of quality), is that true?

I'm familiar with a couple of projects... I'd rank them as the norm (average).
I haven't seen any of their upper scale projects, so I don't know beyond that.

My question is ... I have heard that Daniel's does not build the best product (in terms of quality), is that true? what's the implication on this project?

Apparently they build the second best quality. Check out Mike in TO's post regarding JD Power's developer rankings for last year here in the Market Wharf thread.

The implication apparently is that we'll get a building nearly as good as a Tridel one.

Back