Toronto Esports Performance Venue and Hotel | 112.23m | 30s | OverActive | Populous

DRP isn't "the city".

AoD
No, they're not. As I stated, "from this city" as opposed to "The City" where there is bit of a difference. So I consider their opinions not that far removed, regardless of how out of touch on in touch their views are and for good or bad.

It's not enough like the X-Hotel for the DRP
LMAO, please, listen to @Northern Light and read what the DRP actually wrote before spouting this nonsense.

P.S. Just because a building looks weird and cool doesn't make it good architecture or urbanism. What do you expect the DRP to do, get all starry-eyed over this design and rubber stamp it because it looks like a weird space whale? Seems like a lot of people in this thread have convinced themselves that this "proposal" (which is, sorry to say, a pipe dream for much bigger and more important reasons than what the DRP thinks of it) is beyond critique based on some early marketing renders.

I will post a screenshot from the UT front page story on this:

1625509689062.png

Taken from:

... Meanwhile, there's been no indication yet that the proponents are anywhere close to finding the funding.
... this "proposal" (which is, sorry to say, a pipe dream for much bigger and more important reasons than what the DRP thinks of it) ...
I assume this process must eventually reach some point when they get asked to prove that they have the money to build it?

Last edited:
I assume this process must eventually reach some point when they get asked to prove that have the money to build it?
The CNE Board will need that proof, as will the banks: if the proponents don't get financing, the scheme simply won't be realized.

Last edited:
If the DRP has no authority to enforce or penalize then couldn't the developer just ignore their recommendations and build what we see in the original design?

In theory.............yes.....sorta (subject to the normal approvals process).......but not quite.............

UT ( Julian Mirabelli) did a great explainer on the DRP awhile back, I will share this excerpt:

1625523787576.png

The above is from:

Which is to say, while there is no force-of-law making DRP comments binding...........ignoring them may subject you to a more challenging and labourious process through planning and Council.

I want to make it clear that my post was not suggesting that the DRP has final say in what gets built here. There seems some confusion from regulars I was stating otherwise. To which I suspect was rather due to my poor choice of words that lead to that confusion. And I'll attempt to be more clear about this in the future. My apologies for this. /bows

“The original vision for OAM’s esports stadium at Toronto’s Exhibition Place, pictured here, was deemed too bulky and “exciting” for the site along with other concerns cited by city planners and so the esports promoter will soon be introducing a more conservative design.”

Too exciting? God forbid an entertainment complex instil excitement. That's akin to voting against a pageant contestant for being too attractive.

If the DRP has no authority to enforce or penalize then couldn't the developer just ignore their recommendations and build what we see in the original design?

I think what you should be worried about isn't that, but a proponent ignoring all that they have indicated they would execute - just look at proposal stage X vs final outcome X.

AoD

https://www.sportsnet.ca/more/artic...ainment-facility-expected-privately-financed/
“I fully expect that our venue will be privately financed through the ownership of OverActive Media and our investor groups and others that we haven’t yet attracted to the business and also cooperatively with a strategic partner that we’ve been engaged with and talking to for some time,” said Overholt.
"others that we haven't yet attracted' ? 🙄
Translation: We don't have the money to build this.

Last edited:
From the Parkdale Residents Association:

HotelX-Phase2-Concept.jpg

The venue definitely looks like an improvement - not so sure about the hotel tower.

AoD

Back