News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Toronto Eaton Centre

I guess there's potential to have a large patio there (even though I don't think there's currently a restaurant here). Wasn't a huge fan, but the TEC location was certainly busy on weekends at least.

There is a lot of foot traffic in the mornings down Bay Street. They might do quite well in what is presumably much cheaper space.

Not really. Depends what you mean "the same", I suppose. But the old Eaton's store looked much different than the current incarnation of the Sears store. In terms of size, the current Sears at 4 storeys is arguably closer in scope (but not look) to the new Nordstrom at 3 storeys than to the old 10-storey Eaton's store (9 storeys before it went bankrupt). I loved Eaton's back in the day and I am quite happy to see Sears go because it will be nice to have an actual department store back in the space.

Nordstrom is less of a true department store than Sears. Nordstrom just has clothes, shoes, jewellery and cosmetics.
No furniture (apparently some stores may have some), hardware, sporting goods, electronics, bedding, linens, china or housewares.

Last edited:
I think we're all aware that Nordstrom doesn't sell sporting goods, etc. As far as I am concerned, something doesn't become a department store only because one can buy hardware there. I am just happy that the space will be put to better use, and the decade of walking through a dump with crappy displays of polyester bed-sets-in-a-bag will be done. I have nothing against value retailers (I love Simons and many others), but Sears couldn't even seem to get that right.

“Now that that’s public, we can really go after some of those key retailers we’ve been thinking about these last few months,” Mr. Sullivan [Caddilac Fairview CEO] said in an interview this week. His vision is to make the Eaton Centre “the place to go for luxury shopping.”

Saks and the city: Luxury retail shifts south

I think we're all aware that Nordstrom doesn't sell sporting goods, etc. As far as I am concerned, something doesn't become a department store only because one can buy hardware there.

No, it's considered a department store because it has multiple departments! That's the very definition of a department store. Departments such as clothing, shoes, small and large appliances, furniture, jewellery, sporting goods, toys, and yes... even hardware!

I for one never buy anything besides fashion items from a department store. The only other things I go into a department store for while shopping is stuff like bedding and stemware. The selection of hardware and electronics always seems more limited at a department store, and it always seems more expensive. So I think it's great that Nordstrom doesn't waste space for stuff that people are better off buying at Home Depot and Future Shop. It's still a department store since it has large departments for fashion items like men's and women's clothes, shoes, watches and fragrances.

Last edited:
No, it's considered a department store because it has multiple departments! That's the very definition of a department store. Departments such as clothing, shoes, small and large appliances, furniture, jewellery, sporting goods, toys, and yes... even hardware!
Definitions can change over time.
I for one would not go to a department store to buy sporting goods in the same place I can buy my bedding. I want specialized people who can answer questions with knowledge of the product.

de·part·ment store
noun
noun: department store; plural noun: department stores
a large store stocking many varieties of goods in different departments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_store

A department store is a retail establishment with a building open to the public which offers a wide range of consumer goods such as clothing, housewares, furniture and appliances. It typically offers a choice of multiple merchandise lines, at variable price points, in different product categories (known as "departments" hence the name). Department stores usually sell products including clothing, furniture, home appliances, toys, cosmetics, gardening, toiletries, sporting goods, do it yourself, paint and hardware and additionally select other lines of products such as food, books, jewelry, electronics, stationery, photographic equipment and baby and pet needs. Certain department stores are further classified as discount stores. Big-box stores and hypermarkets have become a modern equivalent to historical department stores. Department stores have a supermarket-type central customer checkout area near the front of the store, or alternatively, sales counters within each department. Department stores are usually part of a retail chain of many stores situated around a country or several countries. Some may be independent retailers, existing entirely independent or as licensed dealers.

Aveda and the Starbucks location on the lower level (near the fountain) are both closed for renovations. Both are slated for re-opening sometime in March.

The old Costa Blanca space is closed yet again, after having a Haight and Ashbury pop-up shop occupy it during the holiday.

The Telephone Booth has closed and Soft Moc next door appears to be renovating and expanding into that space. I always wondered who would be shopping at Telephone Booth, what with the glut of cell phone shops all in that same section of the mall. (Wireless Wave, Fido, Telus, Rogers, The Source, Batteries & Gadgets etc.)

Any chance this will go in the lobby area at Yonge/Dundas?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M5B 2L7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 131070 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Mar 20, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less Interior Alterations

Description: Construct interior alterations for TIM HORTON'S (take out only)

250 Yonge Street is the office building south of the old Eaton's store. The Tim Hortons counter is already there, and this sounds like they are renovating it. Perhaps I've misunderstood your question.

Back