Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

20190618-085248.jpg

I had no idea that big ole blank wall was being replaced by glass! A welcome change.

The transformation of Eaton Centre’s Yonge St facade has been evolving over decades from having its back turned on to Yonge initially to gradually opening up in the 2000’s and finally achieving that goal now. It’s no longer a blank wall, sucking the life off Yonge. Some work still left to be done on the southern half but 2 Queen W will help quite a bit in that regard.

I do wish that the Uniqlo sign would be taken down, in order to continue the rounded corner right down to the street level. It would create an interesting display space for Samsung on the ground floor, and could feature some display space for Uniqlo above.

Other than that, i'm pretty happy with how this is turning out.

The transformation of Eaton Centre’s Yonge St facade has been evolving over decades from having its back turned on to Yonge initially to gradually opening up in the 2000’s and finally achieving that goal now. It’s no longer a blank wall, sucking the life off Yonge. Some work still left to be done on the southern half but 2 Queen W will help quite a bit in that regard.

Agreed but does it have to be a jumbled up mess in the process? It looks like a patchwork of the different eras

Agreed but does it have to be a jumbled up mess in the process? It looks like a patchwork of the different eras

I think that facade diversity adds to the neighbourhood by breaking up the mall from a monolithic block to several storefronts with their own looks like on any other street.

Back