Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

With the new entrance taking up the corner, where are the religion pushers, the break dancers, the drummers and spiderman gonna go this summer?

I heard someone preaching at Church and Maitland last weekend, so maybe the bright lights are finally getting to them.

I really wanted to see some muscle bear chase him away though, sadly he left before that could happen.

25424204802_13a44ccae1_k.jpg

25175219209_015c32ed9e_k.jpg

I know it's not exactly Place de la Concorde or something but Nordstrom's does little to contribute to Dundas Square. It's classic 'mall' thinking.

I know it's not exactly Place de la Concorde or something but Nordstrom's does little to contribute to Dundas Square. It's classic 'mall' thinking.
If there are going to be (useable) doors on Yonge, then it'll be a big improvement. With multiple restaurants expected at Nordstrom, I'm hoping that one of them is at street level. Joey's and its "indoor patio" when the windows are opened in the warmer months, has done wonders of that section of Dundas.

This video includes time-lapse photography of H & M. Did you guys know it was Toronto's Birthday on Sunday? It should be a bigger deal than it is.

This massive edifice on Yonge has always been regrettable--but this reno does soften it a fair bit.

Every large city has an inward looking mall. We just have to deal with it.
The change is quite an improvement to say the least. While I don't agree Place de la Concorde is such an interesting public space either, we should stop blaming Eaton Centre for what is not good enough for Dundas Square. The square itself is poorly designed, cheaply executed, and is about 25% of the size it should be to provide a sufficient urban ambience and vibrancy to its people. Toronto always thinks too small and Dundas Square epitomizes that mindset. Dundas Square often appears busy and stuff because people don't really have a better public square to go, not because the square itself is such a success. Even cities with 300,000 people in France and Spain have larger and better public squares than Dundas Square.

Eaton centre is just a mall, and people do need a mall, even downtown especially during the four months winter. I wish there were a large grocery store within the Eaton Centre so that every grocery shopping trip stop sbeing an uncomfortable experience.

Last edited:
Toronto always thinks too small and Dundas Square epitomizes that mindset.

Toronto thinks big (Jen Keesmat and Andy Byford are great exemplars). It's always council that seems to vote small. A small few of them have too much sway, and the needs of a large city and large population centres often get outweighed by the perceived slight (or cost) to the single-family-housing suburbs.

Though we'd lose a few good councillors, a general nuke-and-pave is well due; or at the very least a proper and fair ward redistribution sans gerrymandering.

(Yeah, there's the Ward Boundary Review due in a few months, but how many councillors do you think will approve it?)

Last edited:
The square itself is poorly designed, cheaply executed, and is about 25% of the size it should be to provide a sufficient urban ambience and vibrancy to its people. Toronto always thinks too small and Dundas Square epitomizes that mindset.

I don't disagree Ksun. Toronto does a terrible job with its outdoor spaces. It is extremely frustrating.

Back