Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Here are the H&M lights from about half an hour ago:

IMG_9499.jpg
IMG_9501.jpg
IMG_9507.jpg
IMG_9509.jpg
IMG_9511.jpg
IMG_9512.jpg

Note that in these last three pics, the lights have varying shades of gray in them. They don't look this way when you're there; somehow the camera is angled in such a way that there's some polarizing effect in play:
IMG_9503.jpg
IMG_9505.jpg
IMG_9516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9499.jpg
    IMG_9499.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 1,540
  • IMG_9501.jpg
    IMG_9501.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_9503.jpg
    IMG_9503.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1,433
  • IMG_9505.jpg
    IMG_9505.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,498
  • IMG_9507.jpg
    IMG_9507.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 1,453
  • IMG_9509.jpg
    IMG_9509.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 1,505
  • IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_9512.jpg
    IMG_9512.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 1,471
  • IMG_9516.jpg
    IMG_9516.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 1,422
Your shutter speed is probably faster than the refresh rate of the lights, would be my guess.

Here are the H&M lights from about half an hour ago:

View attachment 68599 View attachment 68600 View attachment 68603 View attachment 68604 View attachment 68605 View attachment 68606

Note that in these last three pics, the lights have varying shades of gray in them. They don't look this way when you're there; somehow the camera is angled in such a way that there's some polarizing effect in play:
View attachment 68601 View attachment 68602View attachment 68607

This photo makes it clear that the Eaton Centre media tower has to be revamped.

img_9511-jpg.68605

The billboards are completely outshined by just about everything on the square and the LED display has less resolution than the screens we carry in our pockets; it's terrible.

That's definitely the cheapest looking All Saints I've ever seen. I'm guessing they're just testing out the Waters before making a larger investment - though they're definitely not making a great first impression with that.

Hmm. I'd say they're looking for a larger unit before they splash out, say maybe one that's two and a half times that size near the south end of the mall on the upper level?

The Yorkdale All Saints is 6,600 square feet. This space is slightly under 2,000 square feet. The current Apple Store at the Eaton Centre is slightly under 5,000 square feet. I'd say they haven't spent more than a few cents because they're not planning on staying long in that 2,000 square foot space.

Are you buying clothing based on the stores appearance? That's just sad. You know it's the clothing your buying not the store right

Maybe you could be a little less sanctimonious and snarky, and refrain from being unnecessarily insulting to other commentators. People like to shop in a nice environment. There is nothing "sad" about that. And this is a forum focused on architecture and design, so it's perfectly understandable for participants to be discussing the store interiors.

None of the comments above suggest anyone here is buying clothing solely, or even mainly, on the basis of a store's appearance. It's unclear why you jumped to such a conclusion.

You also appear to have missed the tongue-in-cheek nature of adHominem's comment.

Last edited:
I'd also point out that for people to whom fashion is important, the appearance of the store does carry over into the value of the clothing. Mark's might have nice quality clothes, but a fashion forward person wouldn't be caught dead in such a dingy store or wearing anything from there. And before anyone gets too snobby, remember that this forum is incredibly picky about things like the colour of window frames.

Here's the Vancouver location. Looks pretty much the same:

allsaints-4.jpg

While All Saints isn't really my thing (and is out of my price range), I think they inadvertently made the store look more intimidating by having it be so scaled down. The Yorkdale location looks inviting because it's so theatrically industrial looking. The Eaton Centre location has just the hint of the All Saints aesthetic, but it's too cold and stark. I have a feeling if I were to walk into it, I'd feel the sales people hovering around me, as I stole glances at the price tag.

Back