Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

These screens to us are what that Google screen is to Times Square. Shockingly, these two combined are not even half the size of the Google screen (77ft tall x 323ft long). I'm wondering if these will be 4k like the Google one. I'm really excited to see them turned on. I'm guessing next week sometime? Not putting a curved section in the definitely a missed opportunity. I don't know how they didn't think of that. Seems ridiculous that someone thought of it and decided it wasn't a good idea. If this was all one screen this might have been even bigger than the Google screen.

I agree that not installing a curved screen is a missed opportunity. I assume curved would be more costly.

The Google screen in Times Square is mind-bogglingly large, and is attached to the also mind-bogglingly big Marriott Marquis hotel. But given the sheer number of other screens and the sizes of the buildings in TS, the Google screen fits in quite well. Comparatively, these two new screens will impact YD Square disproportionately more. Perhaps they might incentivize the folks at 10 Dundas to switch some of their signs to video screens too(?) Might this be the beginning of a dominoes effect that will make YDS more lively? Time will tell.

Perhaps they might incentivize the folks at 10 Dundas to switch some of their signs to video screens too(?)

My guess is they will upgrade their screens in the next couple years. It's been a little over 2 years since the new one was put in above the atrium.

I'm gonna say that it'll be earlier than we think. 10 Dundas East has consistently been getting some deep pocketed advertisers who buy the entire front of the building. With that kind of investment in ad buys, upgrading their billboards is a sure bet.

Anything taking away from their prominence, will reduce the money they can ask advertisers, so they have to keep up with their neighbours. For most of the square's history, 10 Dundas East had the most visible advertising media. They're now pretty close to dead last with a low resolution screen that's far dimmer than any of its neighbours, and the only remaining tri-face billboard.

The only thing they have going for them is the biggest surface area but Eaton Centre's massive screens are really going to draw a lot of attention away from that and they'll have to upgrade their signage to keep up.

September 3, 2016

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 817
I feel like that might be the full height because the brackets are finally even and these screens' height are supposed to be almost exactly double their width

I recall reading in the application that there will only be two screens with portrait-oriented rectangular dimensions as opposed to landscape (where they are now). I surmise status quo is where the project Gantt chart wanted the work to reach by Labour Day weekend. At this rate, they'll be done by next Saturday(!) Pretty fast, actually.

Yes, looks final. The top bracket doesn't have a catwalk floor like all the others. Just an open ceiling. I wonder what is going above the screens then. There's still quite a bit of room left, including 3 more rows of attachment pads. Hopefully they don't leave it empty.

EDIT: Never mind. I take that back. Looks like the floor is added after another level is put in. Here it is a few days ago:

DphtuOg.jpg

Both sides did match a few times before, notably when they looked like a standard billboard size.

Eaton Centre by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Eaton Centre by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

My guess is that it'll get 2 more rows to hit 15.

Last edited:
I'm guessing it was cheaper this way. Plus when given a choice between interesting and attention-grabbing versus dull and pedestrian, CF always always picks dull and pedestrian.

CF has nothing to do with the screens. They just collect rent.

I love that I can have a conversation with people that actually care about this kind of minutia thanks to this forum. God bless UT :D

I hope you're right in that it extends all the way to the top but it seems to me that would make the height more than twice the size of the width. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am.

edit: I opened the most recent pic in Photoshop to better compare the length and width and it does look like it has a ways to go. It's really deceiving to the eye but maybe it's just because of my wide monitor. It's hard to get an exact reading in PS since space appears to take up less room the further away you are/higher up the screens go.

I love that I can have a conversation with people that actually care about this kind of minutia thanks to this forum. God bless UT :D

Haha! Then you're gonna love these details and analysis...

tec%20tower.png

According to clear channel, the previous billboards were 60ft for the taller ones and 30ft for the shorter.
The billboards stopped at pretty much where the new LED brackets are now. Given that there was spacing and framing around the old billboards, it looks like the new LED screens have reached 90ft. You were right. They're at their full height. Good eye.

Now, the question remains: what goes on top? I kind of liked the ticker. Even though the information on it was kind of useless, it was a nice visual decoration.

Last edited:
The Uniqlo store is so behind schedule, I'm 95% confident it wont be open for it's scheduled Fall opening. In fact, at the pace it's going at it wont be open before the end of this year.
How do you know this it's behind schedule?

Son of a...

My dreams have been crushed. I mean I GUESS they're big enough now.

Perhaps they'll reinstall the old ticker since there was nothing else in the application for other new installations.

edit: that Clear Channel site is very enlightening. Each of these new screens (90x45ft) are actually smaller than the Samsung one above the atrium (97x60ft). However, they will obviously seem a lot larger because they'll be closer to ground level.

Last edited:
Son of a...

My dreams have been crushed. I mean I GUESS they're big enough now.

Perhaps they'll reinstall the old ticker since there was nothing else in the application for other new installations.

edit: that Clear Channel site is very enlightening. Each of these new screens (90x45ft) are actually smaller than the Samsung one above the atrium (97x60ft). However, they will obviously seem a lot larger because they'll be closer to ground level.

"...[d]reams crushed" not, I think.

The approved June 8th application (cited and appended) is for "two illuminated LED screens", each measuring 13.72m (horizontally) x 27.43m (vertically), or 45ft x 90ft; clearly "portrait" as opposed to "landscape" (current status). 90 ft = the height of the previously two combined smaller screens (see MetroMan's post above).

I think we will get two 10-story tall e-screens.

Kotsy, keep your chin up! :)

(http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/details.do?folderRsn=3944202, cited by Waterloo_Guy on June 22, 2016)
Proposal to replace the existing media tower signage with two illuminated LED screens displaying electronic moving copy.The two proposed screens, displayed in a V-shape and directed in a northeasterly and southeasterly direction, are to measure 13.72 metres horizontally by 27.43 metres vertically. The separation between the two screens is to be 1.10 metres. Already approved by Variance - see staff report, Toronto East York Community Council, August 19, 2003, 1 Dundas St. W. **Clear Channel Video Boards**

Last edited:
CF has nothing to do with the screens. They just collect rent.

Of course they have something to do with it. If they enter into dumb contracts that allow other companies to make dumb decisions, that still lies with CF. In fact, "they just collect rent" aptly sums up the problems, and fundamental lack of ambition, associated with CF.

Back