Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

They issued a request in February for companies to bid on restoring and installing the sign.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...e-sam-the-record-man-sign-to-public-view.html

Wished they would have installed it on the blank wall inside the N atrium of the CF Eaton Centre instead. Since they will be placing it outdoors, I hope they will build some kind of transparent sheathing around it to protect it from the elements. It's no longer just another commercial sign, but rather an artefact from Toronto's history, so it should be protected.

I can imagine there will soon be questions from inquiring young minds: "Grandpa, what are those circles supposed to be? And what is a 'record'?" Followed by amazement that people used to carry music on things that big.

I can't wait to see what happens to the curved 10 Dundas East screen which was once the most outstanding video display and is now barely noticeable in the jungle of lights and bigger displays.

It could use an upgrade. I'd like to see them add some height to it, continuing the corner curve upward with another screen or two. I never liked the Atrium signage either, especially after they added the screen that hangs over Yonge, it just looks awkward.

I think each is going to be about double the size! The bracing on the left looks to be about the size of the atrium screen now and it's only half done unless these aren't actually built all the way to the top of the tower.

Are those screens going right up to the top of the tower?

Cool if they are, but I think there are enough screens there. YD Sq. needs some animated signage.

Reaching for the sky!

IMG_20160831_022056.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160831_022056.jpg
    IMG_20160831_022056.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 1,445
Just now...
DphtuOg.jpg

These things are going to be massive.

Meanwhile, the Uniqlo wall is finished. Just missing the logos.

d0TyddE.jpg

It doesn't look bad. It just feels like a missed opportunity for a cool Uniqlo dynamic wall — maybe even something interactive.

the Yonge facing facade just to the south of this uniqlo wall (north of the nordstrom logo) is also uniqlo, you can see their signature display windows. I'm sure they will be colourful.

The drake is hosting a uniqlo pop up store I hear.

Those screens are excitingly large, and they should help distract from the CF mess below. They should make that grey curved section a display as well.

These screens to us are what that Google screen is to Times Square. Shockingly, these two combined are not even half the size of the Google screen (77ft tall x 323ft long). I'm wondering if these will be 4k like the Google one. I'm really excited to see them turned on. I'm guessing next week sometime? Not putting a curved section in the definitely a missed opportunity. I don't know how they didn't think of that. Seems ridiculous that someone thought of it and decided it wasn't a good idea. If this was all one screen this might have been even bigger than the Google screen.

Last edited:
[...] Not putting a curved section in the definitely a missed opportunity. I don't know how they didn't think of that. Seems ridiculous that someone thought of it and decided it wasn't a good idea. [...]

I'm guessing it was cheaper this way. Plus when given a choice between interesting and attention-grabbing versus dull and pedestrian, CF always always picks dull and pedestrian.

Last edited:
Whatever store is going on the corner is definitely not opening in time for the Nordstrom grand opening. Eaton Centre's new flagship tenant is opening with great media fanfare amidst hoarding and a construction mess. Good going CF.

cOSerC3.jpg

The Uniqlo store is so behind schedule, I'm 95% confident it wont be open for it's scheduled Fall opening. In fact, at the pace it's going at it wont be open before the end of this year.

I have a feeling we'll be hearing about the opening being pushed back until 2017; that's unless they get a bunch of additional workers to speed up construction.

The hoarding that is inside the mall facing the Yonge Dundas entrance is scheduled to come down at some point next week, at which point the hallway leading to Nordstrom would be visible. There will still be hoarding on both sides of the hallway that leads to Nordstrom. On one side of the hoarding will be the Uniqlo store, and the other side will be the unspecified store.

Back