News   Apr 24, 2024
 383     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 425     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 773     1 

Toronto East Bayfront: Aitken Place Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Park seems largely cordoned off...presumably almost completed. No workers visible within the park, only the perimeter.

aitken1-jpg.207466

That's messy with the two paver types meeting. Hope something is done about that.

I think the pavers are the same but some have been in place for 2+ years and have weathered while others are new. I do not think it will be long before they meld together.
Thanks. I sort of suspected that but the colour difference looked a little too drastic for that to be true to my eye. I would be happy to be wrong.

Thanks. I sort of suspected that but the colour difference looked a little too drastic for that to be true to my eye. I would be happy to be wrong.
The older (southern) pavers were covered in sand (I assume for protection) so are probably quite damp too. I hope I am right too but the new park is looking very good so let's celebrate that!

This is like the College Park of the waterfront. Pretty underwhelming when compared to the rest of the public realm in this area.

This is like the College Park of the waterfront. Pretty underwhelming when compared to the rest of the public realm in this area.
Why do you say that? It looks like a pretty decent small park for use by local residents to me. Of course, it's for everyone but it is not the wide public promenade along the water or the sand of Sugar Beach. It's a LOCAL park.

Wish all parks were more like Berczy ... with their own flavor of course, but that type of mature and well thought out design.
That said, I'll reserve final judgement until I see this in person.

Meh, the VE is evident. A big step down from Sugar Beach level of quality.

AoD
We usually agree on 'stuff' so I am surprised at your comments. Of course, Sugar Beach is exceptional but this is really pretty good. It will never receive the number of visitors seen at Sugar Beach so it probably does not need quite as much 'strength' but I think it looks pretty good and appropriate for the anticipated use. Why are you so negative about it?

We usually agree on 'stuff' so I am surprised at your comments. Of course, Sugar Beach is exceptional but this is really pretty good. It will never receive the number of visitors seen at Sugar Beach so it probably does not need quite as much 'strength' but I think it looks pretty good and appropriate for the anticipated use. Why are you so negative about it?

Easy - it is a far cry compared to the materiality of the original proposal - and if one wanted cast-in-place concrete en masse in a park, just visit a regular city project. The saving grace of WT is exceptional public realm (because lord knows its influence on actual built projects is rather mixed) - if it start slipping in that, it is reason to be concerned. @Tuscani01 had it exactly right:

Pretty accurate read to me.

AoD

Last edited:
Why do you say that? It looks like a pretty decent small park for use by local residents to me. Of course, it's for everyone but it is not the wide public promenade along the water or the sand of Sugar Beach. It's a LOCAL park.

I say that simply because there is really nothing to it. Even local parks deserve more than some grass and concrete. The materials here contrast significantly with the rest of the public realm in the area. Sticks out like a sore thumb. Beyond the playground, this offers nothing to local residents. It's some grass and concrete. Sherbourne Common next door is also a "local park", and offers much more than this space. I can see this space becoming the next June Callwood Park - empty and underutilized, especially since the alternative spaces in the area offer a much more pleasant experience.

The nicest parts of this park are hidden behind the hill, instead of taking advantage of the location near the water.

Back