News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 891     0 

Toronto East Bayfront: Aitken Place Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I hate to say this, but I think the street makes the area in front of the buildings feel more like a living part of the city. It makes the area look more open and inviting, rather than just an isolated walkway marooned between large buildings and the lake. Also, it provided a justification for setting the private development further from the lake. One day, it can be pedestrianized and incorporated into the public space. But it's unlikely to ever be built over in our lifetimes if it's public property.

I hate to say this, but I think the street makes the area in front of the buildings feel more like a living part of the city. It makes the area look more open and inviting, rather than just an isolated walkway marooned between large buildings and the lake. Also, it provided a justification for setting the private development further from the lake. One day, it can be pedestrianized and incorporated into the public space. But it's unlikely to ever be built over in our lifetimes if it's public property.

But an "isolated walkway" wasn't the alternative; the alternative was an inviting and beautifully landscaped public space; a gateway from the south-facing retail to the water's edge.

Instead, we have this piece of crap: it's a wide right-of-way with no traffic calming, so will be packed with parked and idling cars and overrun by careless drivers speeding between two public spaces and past the space where kids will be spilling out of a daycare.

There should absolutely never have been a street in the plans here both because there's no good reason for there to be, and because the opportunity cost is significant.

But an "isolated walkway" wasn't the alternative; the alternative was an inviting and beautifully landscaped public space; a gateway from the south-facing retail to the water's edge.

Instead, we have this piece of crap: it's a wide right-of-way with no traffic calming, so will be packed with parked and idling cars and overrun by careless drivers speeding between two public spaces and past the space where kids will be spilling out of a daycare.

There should absolutely never have been a street in the plans here both because there's no good reason for there to be, and because the opportunity cost is significant.

Take a deep breath.

I agree.
It feels nicely worked into the scheme of the area.

I'm also not quite as cynical as ADRM with regard to what to expect from it. There are several other little roads along the waterfront very similar to it, with no such issues.

Just because someone posts something that you disagree with or reacts to a post that might be thought of as an over-reaction does not make them a troll. They MAY be wrong but we all are, sometimes.
'ADRM' made an effort to explain a very valid opinion, and 'holographic plastic' tried to make them out as hysterical or over emotional. 'ADRM' was clearly trolling through provoking for their own amusement and you're normalizing this type of behaviour.

'ADRM' made an effort to explain a very valid opinion, and 'holographic plastic' tried to make them out as hysterical or over emotional. 'ADRM' was clearly trolling through provoking for their own amusement and you're normalizing this type of behaviour.

I’m not trolling just because you disagree with me. Some people on this website have an irrational hatred of roads and cars. Sorry to break it to those who feel that way, but there’s nowhere near enough public transit in this area to justify not having roads.

I’m not trolling just because you disagree with me. Some people on this website have an irrational hatred of roads and cars. Sorry to break it to those who feel that way, but there’s nowhere near enough public transit in this area to justify not having roads.
Take a deep breath.

That's a blatantly oversimplified response to a what's being talked about here. We're not talking about roads, we're talking about a particular road. If you're not going to address that, you will be considered to be trolling.

Aitken Place Park Opening Celebration Cancelled
Please be advised that the Opening Celebration for Aitken Place Park scheduled for tomorrow (Tuesday, October 22nd) at 3 p.m. has been CANCELLED due to the forecasted rain. Please stay tuned for an update, we hope to reschedule soon. In the meantime, the park is open for you to enjoy.

Back