News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 537     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Toronto East Bayfront: Aitken Place Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I don' understand why they don't plant a mix saplings with the larger trees. They put in big trees to get a 'head start' but it's stressful and they don't thrive without the amount of care that they clearly aren't getting. A bunch of saplings would get established more easily and quickly overtake the big ones. Look at those birches. A weedy, fast-growing tree like birch shoots up quickly if you plant as a sapling.

I too, agree of mix of sizes/ages is ideal, it reduces risk and expense.

But it also means that the 'result' is delayed.

Landscape Architects and their customers are often impatient.

Young trees are also more apt to need pruning/staking and do have one more issue........they are vulnerable to being shaded out by their larger cousins.

But, on balance, a range of ages, and a range of species types are both moves that help mitigate risk over time.

@Northern Light
Post 153 above

It’s looking a lot better.
7733FF0E-2ADD-48ED-98A4-2008B5C94C1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Ha! They read my posts...........LOL (probably not, but if not, someone noticed the same problem)

They installed a fence to discourage people going up/down the hill in that corner.

There's also fresh soil/mulch, non-compacted.............good........

Trees are definitely looking healthier...........

Good start..........now hopefully the irrigation works..........and they took the damned burlap off the root balls.........

I will have to investigate soon...........

Ha! They read my posts...........LOL (probably not, but if not, someone noticed the same problem)

They installed a fence to discourage people going up/down the hill in that corner.

There's also fresh soil/mulch, non-compacted.............good........

Trees are definitely looking healthier...........

Good start..........now hopefully the irrigation works..........and they took the damned burlap off the root balls.........

I will have to investigate soon...........
And as demonstrated by the respective pic...dogs are prevented from going too far up the soiled bankment to do their business.

Definitely weather like today is when this park really works well. If it's like this tomorrow, we'll probably be down there for sure.

Definitely weather like today is when this park really works well. If it's like this tomorrow, we'll probably be down there for sure.
Enjoy! And that was sort of the reason for my post. Today was indeed perfect conditions for that park and it was empty. Any feelings here why that might be?

We go to that playground semi-regularly, and there is rarely more than 1-2 other kids there. I just think that not many families with kids live in those buildings close by (we live at King, so it's a bit of a hike for us), and with no transit in the area, you are not going to get many visitors. And the visitors who do come to the area go to Sugar Beach.

Once all the buildings are finished and the streetcar is running by, it will probably be much fuller.

We go to that playground semi-regularly, and there is rarely more than 1-2 other kids there. I just think that not many families with kids live in those buildings close by (we live at King, so it's a bit of a hike for us), and with no transit in the area, you are not going to get many visitors. And the visitors who do come to the area go to Sugar Beach.

Once all the buildings are finished and the streetcar is running by, it will probably be much fuller.
I lived in one of the buildings and I look down on this park, there are actually quite a few kids in the area (in my building in particular) and using the park. This will def get much busier a few months when the daycare also opens right off the park.

Back