Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

I think with SF its just more focused in the Tenderloin really. As I said, it may just be more visible in Toronto as there are no truly bad areas in the city where the poor tend to congregate. When I visited last March I came into the city by Ferry and the first thing I noticed when I got off the ferry was that there were no homeless hanging around the ferry terminal. (which is much, much busier than Toronto's ferry terminal, its more of a mini Union)

You're observing the city with tourist-tinted glasses. Similar to some people analyzing Chicago by what they see in the Loop but neglecting the overall big picture. I haven't personally been to San Fran, but a quick Google search results in already many articles depicting the struggles of poverty in that city.

Last summer I lived in Seattle and although I fell in love with the city, I couldn't help but notice the persistent homeless issues present there. A day trip over to Vancouver also revealed many of the problems there as well.

You're observing the city with tourist-tinted glasses. Similar to some people analyzing Chicago by what they see in the Loop but neglecting the overall big picture. I haven't personally been to San Fran, but a quick Google search results in already many articles depicting the struggles of poverty in that city.

Unlike other Americans cities, in San Francisco, poverty is pushing poor people out of the city to the outskirts, much like in Paris. San Francisco and Manhattan have successful becoming places where only the rich and upper middle class can afford to live (besides students).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/bay-area-poverty_n_1855189.html

Personally I think it is better than all the urban poor living in the city core and everyone else escape to the wealthier suburbs.

Unlike other Americans cities, in San Francisco, poverty is pushing poor people out of the city to the outskirts, much like in Paris. San Francisco and Manhattan have successful becoming places where only the rich and upper middle class can afford to live (besides students).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/bay-area-poverty_n_1855189.html

Personally I think it is better than all the urban poor living in the city core and everyone else escape to the wealthier suburbs.

It's no better, just different. In either case there is a strong divide, there is a 'here' and there is a 'there'.

I was in Chicago last year, and a bunch of cops were questioning a bunch of black kids on the Mile, and one literally yelled, "what the hell do you think you're doing in the city?".

So weird.

Errrr...you guys are really going to hate me for saying this, but are they sure about building in that area? Building such a sizeable condo in the middle of crack alley? One block away lies Dundas and Sherbourne, one of the most dangerous areas of the city, why would anyone capable of buying a condo want to invest in that area? I know it sounds terrible to say, but, when I'm working (still on sick leave) I drive past that intersection every day, and over the past 10+ years, I've seen it all.

20 years ago I wouldn't get caught walking on Sherbourne north of King at night. All the problems you refer to. Yet today the stretch between Queen and King has changed tremendously due to the new and now not so new condos. The same will happen here with this one, Pace and any others being planned.

20 years ago I wouldn't get caught walking on Sherbourne north of King at night. All the problems you refer to. Yet today the stretch between Queen and King has changed tremendously due to the new and now not so new condos. The same will happen here with this one, Pace and any others being planned.

Except to go to Montreal Bistro... I miss that jazz club.

plus the facts that:

* CN tower is south west of the building, not behind it NE as depicted;
* Dundas Square is also several blocks west, not in Regent Park as depicted in the render;
* Pace condos is missing directly SW;
* proposed development plans for the 'forest' in the NW corner

2014_01_31_02_56_50_dundas_square_gardens_hero_night.jpg

This is the biggest rendering fail, it's very deceiving and so is the name as it is 6 streets away from Dundas Square.
Looks like Dundas Square is sitting up on a hill just a block away.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
plus the facts that:

* CN tower is south west of the building, not behind it NE as depicted;
* Dundas Square is also several blocks west, not in Regent Park as depicted in the render;
* Pace condos is missing directly SW;
* proposed development plans for the 'forest' in the NW corner

This is the biggest rendering fail, it's very deceiving and so is the name as it is 6 streets away from Dundas Square.
Looks like Dundas Square is sitting up on a hill just a block away.
[/QUOTE]
Basically, this rendering depicts almost everything in the city in a geographic location diametrically opposite from where it actually exists. Amazing!

At least they got Tim Horton's in the right place.

Last edited:

Last summer I lived in Seattle and although I fell in love with the city, I couldn't help but notice the persistent homeless issues present there. A day trip over to Vancouver also revealed many of the problems there as well.

I wouldn't judge a city on its visible homeless population. For starters, most west coast cities have a very large visible homeless population, since there's some magnetic draw of the west coast to people who have nothing to root them down in life. I know it sounds unscientific and superstitious, but I don't have another explanation for it; homeless people migrate to the Pacific coast, and can be found in larger numbers in cities big and small, rich or poor, progressive or conservative than equivalently sized cities east of the Rocky Mountains. Weather only has something to do with it, especially in the US, where, weatherwise, it's probably more comfortable to live in Miami than Seattle.

The other thing I would say is that in cities like Toronto, people who are 'visibly' homeless (panhandlers, hobos, etc.) are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of people who probably qualify as "homeless". There are people who are couch surfing, women who are in abusive relationships because they lack the financial means to move out to a place of their own, people who have the means to live in a home part of the year, but not at all times, etc., etc. I'm not an expert on this, but I do know that you can't just judge the scope of a homeless problem by how many people "appear" to be homeless on the street.

This is the most mendacious rendering I've ever seen. It’s laughably absurd. The C.N. Tower, as represented, would need to be located in the Don Valley.

Is this legal? It seems a wildly flagrant case of false advertising. Most renderings embellish the area a bit, but this invents a whole new city.

I think you guys are being overly harsh on this.
If you take a photo from east of the building on Dundas, the view could be somewhat similar to what it is shown, with Cn tower on the south west and Dundas Square in the west, with the bush like thing across the street - although the buildings should be on the SW corner instead of NW

http://goo.gl/maps/mkcRs

Honestly, some suites in this condo may be a view similar to the rendering (without the building itself in the view of course).

I am pretty glad this sector has some development - when will something happen on the west side of Jarvis? Can the land behind that Timmies or Pi-Tom's be developed as well? I have high hope for Jarvis in the future between Queen and Carlton.

I think you guys are being overly harsh on this.
If you take a photo from east of the building on Dundas, the view could be somewhat similar to what it is shown, with Cn tower on the south west and Dundas Square in the west, with the bush like thing across the street - although the buildings should be on the SW corner instead of NW

http://goo.gl/maps/mkcRs

Honestly, some suites in this condo may be a view similar to the rendering (without the building itself in the view of course).

HS_Oprah_12.gif

This is blatant misrepresentation. There's no getting around it.

Back