Toronto Downsview Park, The Luxury Townhome Collection | ?m | 4s | Stafford | Turner Fleischer

Regulatory overkill is driving Canada’s biggest homebuilder south
Mattamy moves more business stateside as regulatory excess sends land prices — and frustration — skyrocketing in Ontario

DEVELOPMENT DELAYS

The time it takes to get through the development process is also becoming untenable, he said, citing the company’s Downsview Park project north of the city. In the past, the city would require maybe two detailed plans for development that would include engineering designs for things like sewers and gas lines, he said.
For Downsview, that extended to about 40, said Gilgan. “They seem to consider it a good week if they can say ‘No’ 100 times. That’s not the reason we’re going to the U.S. but it does give you continual insight into how things can be.”
More......http://business.financialpost.com/r...l-is-driving-biggest-canada-homebuilder-south

Mattamy moving to the US

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's how this area looks from the air. Lots of homes have been built, with piles more to come. Any TTC up here yet?

DSC07141.jpg
DSC07142.jpg
DSC07143.jpg
DSC07140.jpg

DSC07136.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07136.jpg
    DSC07136.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSC07140.jpg
    DSC07140.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,177
  • DSC07141.jpg
    DSC07141.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • DSC07142.jpg
    DSC07142.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • DSC07143.jpg
    DSC07143.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 1,156
The closest TTC stops are on Keele at Tilbury or at Witburn/Downsview Park Blvd, but the best stop to get to the subway quickly is the stop at Wilson at Dubray Avenue, 10-15 minutes by foot depending on where you are in this complex. It really could use a direct access across the railway tracks to Murray Road, which could cut down on some walking times to local amenities and improve foot/bike access to Downsview Park itself from the east.

Has anyone heard anything about a new release of towns coming up at this or the City Towns collection by Stafford?

That's a downside of wood construction with townhouses. If one person's home catches fire, several others can get destroyed at once. Frankly, if I had a choice, I'd go with concrete frame construction.

That's a downside of wood construction with townhouses. If one person's home catches fire, several others can get destroyed at once. Frankly, if I had a choice, I'd go with concrete frame construction.
This is mostly during construction before proper fire safety systems are in place. Sprinklers and other systems mitigate a lot of issues with wood construction once buildings are completed.

Construction insurance is insanely high compared to occupant insurance for a reason. Damages during construction are far, far more likely.

This is mostly during construction before proper fire safety systems are in place. Sprinklers and other systems mitigate a lot of issues with wood construction once buildings are completed.

Construction insurance is insanely high compared to occupant insurance for a reason. Damages during construction are far, far more likely.

True, but it would be nice to know that the frame of my home can’t burn because it’s concrete. I’m sure insurance companies would appreciate that too.

Wood is also vulnerable to termites, which are common in some parts of the city. While it does get treated to be termite resistant nowadays, that treatment fades with time. If wood gets damp from a leaking pipe and/or sprinkler system going off, it may eventually attract termites.

True, but it would be nice to know that the frame of my home can’t burn because it’s concrete. I’m sure insurance companies would appreciate that too.

Wood is also vulnerable to termites, which are common in some parts of the city. While it does get treated to be termite resistant nowadays, that treatment fades with time. If wood gets damp from a leaking pipe and/or sprinkler system going off, it may eventually attract termites.

But concrete costs money and and time and well....money > safety. I do respect the builders that use concrete construction though.

Back