News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The distance from Martin Grove to Renforth is quite far. Without a 32 bus supplementing the LRT, it would be impossible for seniors to get to a stop.

I wonder if they can operate the LRT with stop requests for these low demand stations. It doesn't make sense for the current Crosstown but Crosstown West can certainly make use of stop requests. The stops don't have to be full fledged. This just need a concrete platform and and regular bus shelter.

Is the West Mall bus not on Rangoon. There is an East Mall bus too. These would surely still be retained.

We don't need 32 buses, just these two ;)

You mean I'll have to walk over to Royal York with my 9' sugar maple to board?

Hey, don't get that thing tangled in the catenary.

I'm hearing that Plant World may be slated for redevelopment. Even more reason to keep an eye on stop spacing. This line needs to be fast, and not an all-stops local route.

- Paul

People lamenting about Crosstown East stops probably are not realizing how huge Scarborough is.

Many of those stops that seem nonsensical to people, are actually of equivalent stop-space distance to the tunnel section of the line. Removing them would lead to huge stop-distances between stops, larger than Bloor-Danforth. Removing them won't allow for that much more rapid travelling, and personally, I would like to avoid having to run buses alongside an in-median LRT.

Here is the map from the SM-LRT EA:

Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png

Attachments

• Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 463
People lamenting about Crosstown East stops probably are not realizing how huge Scarborough is.

Many of those stops that seem nonsensical to people, are actually of equivalent stop-space distance to the tunnel section of the line. Removing them would lead to huge stop-distances between stops, larger than Bloor-Danforth. Removing them won't allow for that much more rapid travelling, and personally, I would like to avoid having to run buses alongside an in-median LRT.

Here is the map from the SM-LRT

The nonsensical stops are obvious. Falmouth, Mason, Eglinton/Kingston, Guildwood Pkwy, Lawrence and West Hill could go as they nearby to other stops.

The alignment around UTSC is all wrong, IMO. It should directly serve the main campus from south of Ellesmere, then follow Military Trail back to rejoin Morningside. And the terminus should be the Malvern Town Ctr shopping mall as that's the heart of the community, not Sheppard.

I thought the stop spacing was pretty tight at first, but its actually comparable to the downtown section of the Yonge line. Plus Scarborough isn't nearly as dense, so its probably fine. A few of them are pretty close to each other, but its not as crazy as I thought.

That said I feel like going from one end of the line to the other is gonna be a giant pain in the butt because of all those stops.

I thought the stop spacing was pretty tight at first, but its actually comparable to the downtown section of the Yonge line. Plus Scarborough isn't nearly as dense, so its probably fine. A few of them are pretty close to each other, but its not as crazy as I thought.

That said I feel like going from one end of the line to the other is gonna be a giant pain in the butt because of all those stops.
The subway portion of this LRT is more spaced apart than the BD line. Most stops are like 1km apart instead of 700-800m on the BD line.

The thing is, the Crosstown is for mostly local commutes. Very very few people would be going the whole length of the line, unless their destination is Pearson Airport. In which case, they can factor the long trip into their travel plans.

Considering average speed of 25km/h for surface portion, and 34km/h for tunneled portion...

End to end should be:

Crosstown West - 8.6km (to Renforth) / 25km/h = 20:38 min
Crosstown Tunnel - 11.5km / 34km/h = 20:17 min
Crosstown Surface - 7.3km / 25km/h = 17:31 min
Crosstown East - 15.1km / 25km/h = 36:14 min
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eglinton Crosstown (Renforth to UTSC) = 94:40 min (1 hour 34 minutes)

This again, should demonstrate just how large Scarborough is. Crosstown East is a long extension.

Back