News   Jul 15, 2024
 761     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Here's a nice simple example from SF. It uses mostly streets but occasionally prominent landmarks like UCSF. Very easy to navigate with these stop names.
MuniMetro770x.jpg

Here's a nice simple example from SF. It uses mostly streets but occasionally prominent landmarks like UCSF. Very easy to navigate with these stop names.
MuniMetro770x.jpg

makes sense when a landmark really defines an area like a Rogers Centre or Science Centre, etc. Naming Dufferin Station Fairbank doesn't do anything to describe the area better because Fairbank isn't commong knowledge whereas Rogers Centre and the Science Centre are.

Member motion coming to city council on Thursday
Feasibility of Integrating Alternative Energy Components in the Back-up Power Facility at Mount Dennis Station on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT Line

Summary

Crosslinx Transit Solutions has been awarded the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the Eglinton Crosstown LRT. As part of the design, Crosslinx Transit Solutions proposes to construct a back-up power facility at the western terminus of the transit line, near the proposed Mount Dennis station and the former Kodak Lands site. The back-up facility would have the capacity to power the entire 19 km length of the transit line in the event of an interruption at the main power source. City staff from Environment and Energy have signaled an interest in consulting with Metrolinx, Crosslinx Transit Solutions and Toronto Hydro to determine whether it would be feasible to integrate alternative energy sources and solutions that could potentially offset the back-up power facility's carbon footprint.

If I may, what's wrong with naming the stations with name duplication like this?

Trethewey.png Fairbank.png Forest Hill.png Sunnybrook.png Leaside.png Wilket Creek.png Eglinton Square.png

Original name with the cross street as a subheading. This would seem to resolve a lot of issues. Is Metrolinx or the TTC paying attention?

Attachments

• Trethewey.png
    Trethewey.png
    924.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Fairbank.png
    Fairbank.png
    526.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Forest Hill.png
    Forest Hill.png
    385.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Sunnybrook.png
    Sunnybrook.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Leaside.png
    Leaside.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Wilket Creek.png
    Wilket Creek.png
    907.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Eglinton Square.png
    Eglinton Square.png
    566.1 KB · Views: 251
If I may, what's wrong with naming the stations with name duplication like this?

Original name with the cross street as a subheading. This would seem to resolve a lot of issues. Is Metrolinx or the TTC paying attention?

The subheadings are of little use because they are not shown on the subway map or heard on the stop announcements. Aside from the platform signage, it's still gonna be just "Forest Hill" or "Leaside", with no mention of the cross streets.

Real estate agents must be pretty ecstatic that Forest Hill has expanded to Bathurst & Eglinton.

Historically that is correct though. The original village core was on Spadina but the boundaries of the village included the lands on three of the four quadrants of Bathurst and Eglinton. Both entrance buildings at Bathusrt are technically within the boundaries of the former Village of Forest Hill. Chaplin Station could also have been called Forest Hill since it is within the old village boundaries too. In fact, the fire hall which will become one of the entrances was the original Forest Hill fire and police station.

The Keele station on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT Line has had a couple of names presented that I don't fancy. Silverthorne is now Keelesdale

I'm guessing Tretheway is being reserved for use on the Jane LRT line. Guess there will be a "Denison" station (Tretheway gets renamed Denison west of Jane Street) somewhere under Metrolinx's influence.

"Trethewey" is unique sounding too. What are the brain-trust at Metrolinx/TTC thinking overlooking an obvious name choice for a more tacky sounding "Keelesdale". The intersection is Trethewey and Eglinton after all. It'd be good too to have a subway station start with the letter T.

I think Metrolinx should put up a poll on their Crosstown website and have the public help narrow down station names. What connection is Sunnybrook to Leslie St more so than to Bayview, for example? I think the public is smarter than this. Just think after decades of the misnamed "Downsview" we're finally seeing a renamed "Sheppard West" station as it should have been named in the first place.

Just call it Trethewey. Naming it after the street the line intersects makes so much more sense than any other option.
Or calling it Keele as thats the names south of Eglinton and Keele north makes that turn (and for some reason that small section is called Gore or something like which makes no sense) and then intersects Trethewey as it curves again. The name Tretheway should end at the point Keele hits it. Trethewey conjures up murder, drugs, etc. When you hear Trethewey in the news its never good

"Trethewey" is unique sounding too. What are the brain-trust at Metrolinx/TTC thinking overlooking an obvious name choice for a more tacky sounding "Keelesdale". The intersection is Trethewey and Eglinton after all. It'd be good too to have a subway station start with the letter T.

I think Metrolinx should put up a poll on their Crosstown website and have the public help narrow down station names. What connection is Sunnybrook to Leslie St more so than to Bayview, for example? I think the public is smarter than this. Just think after decades of the misnamed "Downsview" we're finally seeing a renamed "Sheppard West" station as it should have been named in the first place.

I think "Leaside" for the station at Bayview was alright seeing as the commercial core of Leaside is just south of there, and "Laird" is a unique name. The station at Leslie should be called "Sunnybrook Park".

Back