News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 595     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I checked out your map. I am going to assume that your jane donmills DRL is LRT technology since you have diverted alot of ppl to GO. If so I AGREE with your map BIG time. I wish that was metrolinx vision.

Yes, it's LRT technology running surface on Jane, Don Mills, and the east and west sections of the Queen/Lakeshore line. It's in a tunnel from Eglinton to Eglinton via Queen. My thinking was that because most of the Union-bound and express traffic would be served by GO, that would leave the DRL to serve a more local function.

That's a very impressive map, gweed. Very thorough and very well thought out.

2 things...

1) Instead of having L3 and L4 overlap through the central portion of Queen, could one of the routes not loop south to service Lakeshore / Queen's Quay, or do you think more of it is needed through Queen?

2) I think it would make sense to extend L4 west from Long Branch into Port Credit to connect to the lower terminus of L5. Lakeshore through that stretch of Mississauga has some massive development opportunities.

That's a very impressive map, gweed. Very thorough and very well thought out.

Thanks! It's been the process of several evolving changes.

2 things...

1) Instead of having L3 and L4 overlap through the central portion of Queen, could one of the routes not loop south to service Lakeshore / Queen's Quay, or do you think more of it is needed through Queen?

I think that for the Lakeshore/Queen's Quay the Harbourfront streetcar is sufficient. My rationale with having the two routes overlap on Queen is that the central portion of Queen is going to see the highest ridership, so having the frequency roughly doubled along that stretch would be warranted. Think Green Line in Boston, where it runs in a tunnel through the downtown and then branches once it exits the areas adjacent to downtown.

PS: I applied the same concept to the Eglinton line. In the west, 1 branch goes to Pearson, the other to Mississauga. The combined frequencies along much of Eglinton would be doubled as a result. You don't need every train going to Pearson, but you need a much higher frequency than that through the central stretch. Overall I'm not a big fan of short turns, I'd rather have a line branch instead of short turn, as it reduces transfers.

2) I think it would make sense to extend L4 west from Long Branch into Port Credit to connect to the lower terminus of L5. Lakeshore through that stretch of Mississauga has some massive development opportunities.

Very good point. I was just going with what the TTC proposal was for that stretch of Lakeshore, but that certainly makes sense. One of the things I don't want though is the temptation to have the Hurontario LRT trains continue along the Lakeshore LRT. They should be separate lines.

You really should mail this one and maybe just a cleaned up version of your GO vision (with maybe the subways and LRT proposal on there only) alone to various politicians and maybe even The Star with a write-up.

I don't think there's much chance a lot of it would be built. After all, it works too well, is too simple, and not grandiose enough to allow a politician to leave a legacy, but hey, you never know, there might be somebody that cares enough about moving people and not using transit as neighbourhood stimulus.

Last edited:
You really should mail this one and maybe just a cleaned up version of your GO vision (with maybe the subways and LRT proposal on there only) alone to various politicians and maybe even The Star with a write-up.

I don't think there's much chance a lot of it would be built. After all, it works too well, is too simple, and not grandiose enough to allow a politician to leave a legacy, but hey, you never know, there might be somebody that cares enough about moving people and not using transit as neighbourhood stimulus.

It's always a tough debate deciding what you should and shouldn't show. If you're showing at-grade LRT, why not a dedicated grade-separated busway? Or even curbside BRT?

I agree that the map could be cleaned up to only show certain aspects, but the reality is when you're dealing with something as complex as a rapid transit system, leaving parts of it out show an incomplete picture. Someone may look at it and say "hey, my neighbourhood is getting nothing at all from this", when in reality there's a curbside BRT running right down their main arterial.

I could clean it up by removing the curbside BRT lines, but I think that the 407 Transitway and the Mississauga-Finch Transitway really need to be shown, because in reality they're almost as express as the E Lines are.

And yes, a bit more tidying up and a few changes and it might be able to be shared around. Right now though I don't think it's ready, there's a few areas that don't quite work for me just yet, and I haven't figured out how to solve them.

That should definitely help get people up to and down from the platform level much more quickly. Are they widening the platforms as well? Some of those platforms are very narrow.

No, they need the track capacity so GO will continue to have people wait in the concourse level and call passengers up when there is a place for them to go. Maybe at some point beyond electrification and train control enhancements they could contemplate the removal of a track to make a wider platform or digging in a new underground platform, but nothing like that is in the cards for the foreseeable future.

Hmm ... and says construction has started. Anyone driven past recently ... any signs of mobilization?

It also says this:
The 25km line will run underground from Jane/Black Creek Drive to Kennedy Station, then on a structure completely separated from traffic to the Scarborough City Centre.
I know that means separated ROW, but maybe it leaves the door open for parts to be elevated? It would make more sense west of Black Creek than Scarborough, though.

It also says this:

I know that means separated ROW, but maybe it leaves the door open for parts to be elevated? It would make more sense west of Black Creek than Scarborough, though.

It will run on the old Scarborough RT track, which is elevated.

That website looks better than the old one you could get to from the TTC Projects page, but there's virtually no new content in it. There's a page promisingly titled "History," but once there you find that the history of this line started last 31 March when Dalton and Frod made nice. The whole saga of Transit City merits no mention, let alone the fiasco in the 90s. If you're going consign 94% of the history to oblivion, fine, call the page something else, like "Blurb that we want you to read in the hope that you're too stupid to use Google to find out what really happened." Just don't call it history. That's like calling a summary of Rob Frod's last year a history of Toronto's mayoral achievements.

Last edited:
Talk about being late to the show!

What happened to this line? I though it went to the Airport!?!
About 18 months ago McGuinty broke his funding promise, and pushed the Airport bit (among other projects) to an unfunded Phase 2, that would be built sometime after 2020. This is what lead to the "Save Transit City" campaign - http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3642

About 18 months ago McGuinty broke his funding promise, and pushed the Airport bit (among other projects) to an unfunded Phase 2, that would be built sometime after 2020. This is what lead to the "Save Transit City" campaign - http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3642

This delay had me thinking the other day: what about a basic BRT road through the Richview corridor as a 'temporary' transit route to connect the Mississauga BRT to the Eglinton LRT? I'm talking just a couple layers of granular and a couple layers of asphalt, at-grade intersections, and far side bus stops. Literally as bare bones as you can get.

It wouldn't necessarily be pretty, but it would be by far the cheapest way to get a rapid transit link between the two. Phase 1 of the LRT extension could bring it to Royal York (shifting the terminus point further west), with Phase 2 going to Renforth.

This could probably be arranged to be completed at the same time as the LRT, so that it would open as one semi-continuous (with just a transfer at Jane/Black Creek) corridor.

Back