News   Jul 11, 2024
 373     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 515     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 687     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Because the terminal (temporarily) would be near Progress and Sheppherd. This would alleviate all the congested travel over the 401 to Scarborough Centre - almost 4 kilometres away.

Okay. If you're talking about traffic along McCowan into STC, hardly any of that originates from Malvern. Heck, hardly any of that is 416 residents.

The traffic along Progress (the road which most Malvernites take) is bearable during rush hour).

A terminal at Progress and Sheppard does nothing at all for the crazy amount of traffic along Markham and McCowan. I will bet money on that. And it really isn't needed to relieve traffic on Progress. So I'm still confused how you think a terminal that's not close to any of the actually congested corridors will provide relief.

It would be a huge time-savings.

Huge is relative. But yes there would have been lots of time savings till STC. 8-10 mins I believe? Saving the transfer at Kennedy though actually comes close to saving half that amount. Anybody bound for downtown will now simply stay on the Crosstown rather than disembark at Kennedy. And now that the whole thing is a subway....

Overall, guess what would save more time than all this? A GO Crosstown.

Also this was only Phase 1. In Phase 2, it would then be extended to Malvern Town Centre.

I remember being in elementary school when they talked about extending the SRT to Malvern. Every Scarborough resident knows not to trust transit promises until there's trains pulling into a station.

In the 20 years that would have passed between phase 1 and phase 2, Malvern would have been blessed with messed up bus network to an improperly placed terminus.

Every Scarborough resident knows not to trust transit promises until there's trains pulling into a station.
Yes - they will likely be pissed during the 2014 election, when they would have already had the LRT, but still have no sign of a subway.

Overall, guess what would save more time than all this? A GO Crosstown.

But how much of that savings would be lost by having to wait multiple southbound subway trains?

And more importantly, how are you going to try and shoehorn all those additional people onto a crowded subway line?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

But how much of that savings would be lost by having to wait multiple southbound subway trains?

And more importantly, how are you going to try and shoehorn all those additional people onto a crowded subway line?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Those people would be getting on at Bloor anyway (via the Bloor-Danforth line). Now they are getting on at Summerhill. Hardly that much of a difference. In the long run, a DRL extending up Don Mills will be needed to provide relief to Yonge.

However, if we're going to spend billions on LRTs for the outer 416, I'm just suggesting there's a lot more bang for the buck in putting that into the GO network.

Last edited:
Those people would be getting on at Bloor anyway (via the Bloor-Danforth line). Now they are getting on at Summerhill. Hardly that much of a difference. In the long run, a DRL extending up Don Mills will be needed to provide relief to Yonge.

However, if we're going to spend billions on LRTs for the outer 416, I'm just suggesting there's a lot more bang for the buck in putting that into the GO network.

There would also be a station at Dupont most likely, so they would have access to the Spadina subway as well. Not to mention, the Crosstown would probably be one of the later lines to go in. I would imagine that the Richmond Hill line would be further up the priority list, so people could change trains at Don Mills if they wanted to go to Union.

Then electrify the richmond hill, the barrie, and the brampton line. By the way switch the richmond hill line with the cn line so there can be a easier access station at leslie and eglinton. Make all these lines 15 mins apart and add stations where ever each line connects with eglinton bloor or danforth.

This. Or connects with Sheppard.

Absolutely any electrification should include additional stations. With electrification the acceleration and decceleration of the vehicles is much faster, which allows you to place stops closer together. Infill stations could include:

(...)

Georgetown-Richmond Hill: Eglinton-Black Creek, St. Clair West, Liberty, City Place, Cherry, Milwood, Eglinton East, York Mills, Leslie-Sheppard (relocated Oriole)
Barrie: Wilson, Eglinton, Dupont, Liberty, City Place

And this.

And this.

Sometimes I wonder if a few simple maps, showing what this could look like, wouldn't wake people up to the missed opportunity here.

Sometimes I wonder if a few simple maps, showing what this could look like, wouldn't wake people up to the missed opportunity here.

Might not be a bad idea for somebody to do a brief write-up and a map and send it to Tess Kalinowski to see if The Star is willing to pitch it.

I'd pitch it to the political parties too. This one is a vote-getter, especially for the Liberals or Tories.

My pitch to Torontonians would be simple: fare integration with GO. Enough said. For example, I know tons of people who'd take the GO train from Agincourt in Scarborough, if only they didn't have to pay the TTC and GO fares.

Unfortunately, I can't photoshop or I would do up this map....

GO Crosstown with Summerhill as a hub. That would increase demand on the Yonge line to be sure. But it might actually reduce pressure on Union.

Summerhill would be a good start. We'd have to look at creating other nodes.

That said, not everybody is heading downtown. And not everybody needs to go to Union. They do so today because of the current network configuration and fare rules. How many people would get off at Bloor, Danforth, Sheppard West (in the future) or Kennedy if we had integrated fares? Or at Agincourt if the Sheppard line reached there and we had integrated fares?

Also, more frequent service with greater service availability throughout the day might actually smooth out demand.

There's a lot of things we could do to manage this demand. We shouldn't be making excuses to not even attempt these changes.

The enhanced GO network is a valid and desirable goal; I just doubt that it can be carried to the point of 5 min peak / 15 off-peak service on each line.

A substantial number of riders would get off before Union, but Union would still have to handle a huge number of tranfers in this network configuration, simply because so many lines converge there. Let's count:

YUS subway
Lakeshore
Milton - Richmond Hill
Georgetown - Stouffville
Airport
Kleinburg
Barrie

In total, that's up to 7 high-capacity lines passing through Union.

In contrast, only 3 lines would bypass Union: Bloor, Crosstown GO, and Eglinton LRT (4 if Sheppard subway is extended enough to count).

Furthermore, the frequent Crosstown GO service would be very useful for east-west trips, but it can do only so much for relieving Union. The CPR Crosstown corridor is not as wide as the Union corridor. Moreover, the Crosstown remains CPR's major freight line, unlike the Union corridor that sees little freight traffic these days. So, it might be possible to run one 5 / 15 service in the Crosstown corridor (for example, send every 2-nd Milton train and every 2-nd Airport train via Dupont, Summerhil, and Agincourt to Malvern), but no more than that.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Union redesign incoporate a lot of the needs for electrification? It was my understanding that it did.

They are adding a new concourse level, and will probably improve the connection to YUS subway I don't think they are doing anything with the stairwells.

They are adding a new concourse level, and will probably improve the connection to YUS subway I don't think they are doing anything with the stairwells.

Yes they are building significantly more stairs, 6 to 8 stairs per platform (4 teamway stairs (York West, York East, Bay West, Bay East), 2 west concourse, and 2 east concourse) and 2 elevators per platform (one per concourse).

Yes they are building significantly more stairs, 6 to 8 stairs per platform (4 teamway stairs (York West, York East, Bay West, Bay East), 2 west concourse, and 2 east concourse) and 2 elevators per platform (one per concourse).

I did not know; that certainly helps.

That should definitely help get people up to and down from the platform level much more quickly. Are they widening the platforms as well? Some of those platforms are very narrow.

Back