News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 537     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Construction on the surface begins December 2017. Construction on the surface concludes November 2019. Revenue service begins September 2021

Delivery of light rail vehicles to start 2022? :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How dare you say that? BBD doesn't deserve that.

You're being far too optimistic--2025 might be more reasonable.
;)

No, no, no. Vehicle delivery will surely commence during November 2022. But the vehicles will be delivered on average once every four months, with assurances from Bombardier that they can still somehow make a 2019 deadline for delivery of all the vehicles.

No, no, no. Vehicle delivery will surely commence during November 2022. But the vehicles will be delivered on average once every four months, with assurances from Bombardier that they can still somehow make a 2019 deadline for delivery of all the vehicles.

My apologies! This sounds much more realistic. :)

Construction on the surface begins December 2017. Construction on the surface concludes November 2019. Revenue service begins September 2021

Does anyone know how long it takes to commission something this size? I know you don't just plug it in and flip the switch. In essence, through the next four years, the tunnels and presumably the track in them are (mostly) complete. When exactly does the first LRT vehicle nose out of Mount Dennis and run down the tunnel to the first crossover?

What makes me ask is that from Tiger's post, the surface construction is supposed to be complete 22 months prior to revenue service. The station construction Gantt charts show that even Cedarvale and Eglinton are finished more-or-less at the conclusion of 2020. Does a train roll down the line even a second before that?

Does anyone know how long it takes to commission something this size? I know you don't just plug it in and flip the switch. In essence, through the next four years, the tunnels and presumably the track in them are (mostly) complete. When exactly does the first LRT vehicle nose out of Mount Dennis and run down the tunnel to the first crossover?

What makes me ask is that from Tiger's post, the surface construction is supposed to be complete 22 months prior to revenue service. The station construction Gantt charts show that even Cedarvale and Eglinton are finished more-or-less at the conclusion of 2020. Does a train roll down the line even a second before that?

I might be wrong about this, but I recall that the western stations are scheduled to be completed before the eastern, precisely to allow testing of the LRVs on the western section, while the eastern section is still under construction. This is because the LRVs are all required to put on certain milage before they can enter revenue service. So, for example, we'll probably see trains running empty between Mt Dennis and Keele or Eglinton West about 16 months before the line opens, and while the eastern underground portion is still being completed.

I might be wrong about this, but I recall that the western stations are scheduled to be completed before the eastern, precisely to allow testing of the LRVs on the western section, while the eastern section is still under construction. This is because the LRVs are all required to put on certain milage before they can enter revenue service. So, for example, we'll probably see trains running empty between Mt Dennis and Keele or Eglinton West about 16 months before the line opens, and while the eastern underground portion is still being completed.

Is there any feasibility that they may still change their minds and split the opening dates so that the Western portion can open first? It seems like a wasted opportunity if they just endlessly test to the point where it becomes almost
irrelevant if that portion of the line is mechanically able to function already. They shouldve done what Viva is doing (relatively speaking) and phasing their openings as soon as the sections are completed. Real world testing is always better than running empty trains and making calculated estimates. Not to mention they can start recuperating their spent dollars earlier.

Is there any feasibility that they may still change their minds and split the opening dates so that the Western portion can open first? It seems like a wasted opportunity if they just endlessly test to the point where it becomes almost
irrelevant if that portion of the line is mechanically able to function already. They shouldve done what Viva is doing (relatively speaking) and phasing their openings as soon as the sections are completed. Real world testing is always better than running empty trains and making calculated estimates. Not to mention they can start recuperating their spent dollars earlier.

The original plan with the Crosstown was to have it opening in phases starting this year, but then the province pushed out the funding to have it all open at once at the end.

The original plan with the Crosstown was to have it opening in phases starting this year, but then the province pushed out the funding to have it all open at once at the end.

Thats a shame....I think it wouldve generated more revenue and also be a platform for lessons learned

Are you talking about the original plan from 2007? I wasn't following transit back then, so that's news to me

Those plans were from a bit later than that, the best report I could find is here.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ember_16_2009/Reports/Transit_City_Update.pdf

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT will open in sections that can be operated as LRT as follows: • the westerly section from Eglinton West Station on the University Subway to Commerce Drive in 2016; • the easterly section from Eglinton West Station to Kennedy Station in 2018; and • Commerce Road to Pearson Airport in 2020.

Back