News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 663     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

What will the signage for the Crosstown be like?

Will it be "LRT"?
Or the name of the station?
I can barely make out the Line colour, "yellow" for Line 1 and "purple" for Line 4.

I think they should have the Line number(s) in the white section (IE
line_one.png
line_four.png
) and the station name(s) in the black section.

Since the SRT will likely be still in existence when the Crosstown opens, the line number could end as a "5". Followed by "6" for Finch West LRT. Maybe "3" will eventually be given to the DRL.

You wouldn't even have to make the distinction between LRT and subway on wayfinding signs if only the eastern section of the line was going to as grade-separated as the West End presumably will be. It would effectively be like a subway the whole length.

What will the signage for the Crosstown be like?

Will it be "LRT"?
TTC2_final.jpg

Or the name of the station?
subwaysign.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

I can barely make out the Line colour, "yellow" for Line 1 and "purple" for Line 4.

I think they should have the Line number(s) in the white section (IE
line_one.png
line_four.png
) and the station name(s) in the black section.

Since the SRT will likely be still in existence when the Crosstown opens, the line number could end as a "5". Followed by "6" for Finch West LRT. Maybe "3" will eventually be given to the DRL.
I hope it looks like this (from TTC):
A25-1_20160608_170631.jpg

Let's also hope wayfinding on the Crosstown will be consistent with the TTC's new standards.

Unfortunately they haven't even nailed down their new 'standards' yet. As far as I'm aware no surface signage was redone for the St George/Bloor pilot. There are still 3-4 different totem designs out there with wildly different information.

Unfortunately they haven't even nailed down their new 'standards' yet. As far as I'm aware no surface signage was redone for the St George/Bloor pilot. There are still 3-4 different totem designs out there with wildly different information.

I think the one that rolled out with all the new buss routes and 514 is what they are going with and will probably start making it's way out across the system soon. One thing I do hope they change is the ones in the subway that say the direction of the line and the next stop rather than the terminus,knowing the next stop isn't as helpful as knowing where it ends.

The former Second Cup at the northwest corner of Mt. Pleasant and Eglinton is currently surrounded by a scaffold with trash chutes installed in the upper windows. Looks like the gutting has begun.

It looks like some kind of drilling apparatus is being set up on the northwest side of Eglinton Station.

Cranes are being set up at Avenue Station. There's a lot of activity at that station right now.

The buildings at the site of Oakwood Station have been demolished.

Utility work continues at Bathurst Station. Bathurst Station is the furthest along on Line 5

No recent activity at Chaplin Station.

I'm curious - what metric are you using to measure completion?

The Crosstown web site - whose information is as of the end of last year - shows a spend of 17% at that point, and construction less than 20% along on the AFP portion.

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/progress/funding

- Paul

I was just looking at start date to finish date. Started construction in 2012, ending in 2021. We're somewhere around 40% to 45% the way complete.

I suppose you could also look at % completion by amount of money spent to date, or man hours worked, but I think the date is the most relevant metric to people outside the industry.

As a rough guide, yeah, time from launch to completion is a good rough measure, at least where things got out of the gate smoothly.

The disappointment is when the schedule starts slipping. Call me pessimistic and pedantic, but with so much left to do there I'd feel happier if we knew more about the schedule - before it shifts.

- Paul

Call me pessimistic and pedantic, but with so much left to do there I'd feel happier if we knew more about the schedule - before it shifts.

The critical path for the project is Eglinton Station which is exactly on schedule at this time. Of course, it hasn't really started work yet either as the TBMs need to be removed first.

I don't think we'll end up like Amsterdam where 95% of the line is complete but the only station that really counts (Eglinton station for us, Centraal station for them) is 8 years behind schedule.

Last edited:
When will the eastern above ground portion begin construction, and eventually be full functional?

Back