News   Jul 15, 2024
 116     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Nice catch @W. K. Lis . It's nice to see RoFo and DoFo's legacy project going through, and i'm looking forward to the garbage that will be strung along this stretch of Eglinton.

In all seriousness, it's unfortunate that the ROW was sold off because something very interesting could have taken place with the LRT along this stretch.

Nice catch @W. K. Lis . It's nice to see RoFo and DoFo's legacy project going through, and i'm looking forward to the garbage that will be strung along this stretch of Eglinton.

In all seriousness, it's unfortunate that the ROW was sold off because something very interesting could have taken place with the LRT along this stretch.
Honestly they could still put the tracks on one side of the road and erect a small fence. Probably it has to be the south side now since having LRVs running within a couple metres of those townhouses would certainly cause a lot of complaints. However, they did not reserve enough space for grade separation.

• Date:Wednesday, June 15, 2016
  • Who: Ward Councilor/Metrolinx
  • What: Open House for Forest Hill Station Plans
  • Where: Forest Hill Collegiate Institute, 730 Eglinton Ave. W, Toronto, ON
  • When: 18:30 p.m to 20:30 p.m.
  • Notes:

Honestly they could still put the tracks on one side of the road and erect a small fence. Probably it has to be the south side now since having LRVs running within a couple metres of those townhouses would certainly cause a lot of complaints. However, they did not reserve enough space for grade separation.
Physically it would be possible, but it would run into several problems especially at intersections and with station placement to the point where it could potentially drive up costs further compared to building it on Eglinton itself. The ROW that was sold off would have allowed for a multitude of options compared to what we've been left with today.

Raise your hand if you think the TTC will operate this line like a streetcar route? :eek:

Depends upon what roadblocks, legalize, and "you can't do that"'s from transportation services (traffic lights and roads), fire services, paramedic services, police services, and other departments, and NIMBY's ("I want more stops", "I want less stops", etc.) have to say.

Raise your hand if you think the TTC will operate this line like a streetcar route? :eek:

You are asking the most important question of all. I think there is a huge risk of this, but it doesn't have to be. It will take an awful lot of watchfulness and advocacy as the design comes together and as the line is comissioned to ensure that tradeoffs don't creep in and so the line is managed as *rapid* transit and not as a streetcar.

- Paul

Depends upon what roadblocks, legalize, and "you can't do that"'s from transportation services (traffic lights and roads), fire services, paramedic services, police services, and other departments, and NIMBY's ("I want more stops", "I want less stops", etc.) have to say.
The signals on the midblock streets aren't synchronized. It wouldn't matter much if the stops are removed or not if they don't offer full prioritization for those midblock intersection. Enough with the farside stops. They have yet shown any working prioritization that doesn't double stop at any intersection in the GTA. Spadina, St Clair and VIVA all suffered from this car first approach.

Physically it would be possible, but it would run into several problems especially at intersections and with station placement to the point where it could potentially drive up costs further compared to building it on Eglinton itself. The ROW that was sold off would have allowed for a multitude of options compared to what we've been left with today.
Right now many intersection on Eglinton west doesn't have right turn lanes. I rather they keep it that way and they'll have enough for a platform on each side. If they are at grade, it would offer no speed advantage being in the middle or not but it would be safer for riders as they wouldn't bolt through the roadway trying to catch a train in the middle.

The signals on the midblock streets aren't synchronized. It wouldn't matter much if the stops are removed or not if they don't offer full prioritization for those midblock intersection. Enough with the farside stops. They have yet shown any working prioritization that doesn't double stop at any intersection in the GTA. Spadina, St Clair and VIVA all suffered from this car first approach.

The TTC has no control on traffic signals. Traffic signals are under the control of Transportation Services. They see light rail vehicles, streetcars, and buses as a vehicle (singular). They give priority to left turning single-occupant vehicles, usually three or four, because those three or four vehicles are more than one streetcar or bus or light rail vehicle. The mayor, executive committee, or city council should tell Transportation Services that transit vehicles must be given priority over ordinary motor vehicles. However, they are afraid, very afraid, of angering the suburban auto-centrist voter.

You are asking the most important question of all. I think there is a huge risk of this, but it doesn't have to be. It will take an awful lot of watchfulness and advocacy as the design comes together and as the line is comissioned to ensure that tradeoffs don't creep in and so the line is managed as *rapid* transit and not as a streetcar.

- Paul
it will on;y be managed as a streetcar if many stops are put in

it will on;y be managed as a streetcar if many stops are put in
Not so. We can also consider it streetcar operation if they choose to stop and proceed after every switch, or if they choose to proceed and crawl at 5-10km/h at each intersection.

Not so. We can also consider it streetcar operation if they choose to stop and proceed after every switch, or if they choose to proceed and crawl at 5-10km/h at each intersection.
I've not seen streetcars stopping at every switch in Toronto. Where are you seeing this? Nor do I see them slowing down at most intersections - I've seen many streetcars ripping through intersections above the speed limit late at night.

Yes, they slow down at a switch; they don't stop.

The streetcar network downtown uses single point switches.
StreetSwitch_800x350.jpg

The Transit City tracks are supposed to be double point switches, like in the subway.
Street%20Track.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Again, its the accountants and bean-counters doing their work.

Back