News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If the bicycle path (marked as "22" in the photo) is moved closer to the south (unless someone complains about the noise bicycles cause), they'll be able to have the right-of-way go down from the middle of Eglinton Avenue West from just west of Lloyd Manor Road, under and below the Martin Grove & Eglinton intersection, and below grade at the southwest corner. With a stop below grade at the southwest corner, it could return to be level with the roadway but continue on the south side of Eglinton Avenue West, crossing Etobicoke Creek to reach The East Mall. There would be zero delays or interference with the traffic in this area.

Martin Grove Eglinton intersection.jpg

Attachments

• Martin Grove Eglinton intersection.jpg
    Martin Grove Eglinton intersection.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
If those are the worst intersections in Toronto, then we are laughing. I swear there are worse ones in 905! I'm intimately familiar with 3 of them in rush hour - none are worse than a 5-minute delay, and more like 2-3 minutes.

I've spent far longer at various spots on Highway 7.

If the bicycle path (marked as "22" in the photo) is moved closer to the south (unless someone complains about the noise bicycles cause), they'll be able to have the right-of-way go down from the middle of Eglinton Avenue West from just west of Lloyd Manor Road, under and below the Martin Grove & Eglinton intersection, and below grade at the southwest corner. With a stop below grade at the southwest corner, it could return to be level with the roadway but continue on the south side of Eglinton Avenue West, crossing Etobicoke Creek to reach The East Mall. There would be zero delays or interference with the traffic in this area.

View attachment 77774
At least the Finch LRT shows that they're willing to do things like have stations in a cutting:

1fqiVz5.png

Other than that, I don't see any new info in the presentation

To give credit where due - I was impressed by the degree to which the verbal presentation acknowledged and attempted to respond directly to concerns that were raised at the previous meetings. Not all the answers are in, but it was a very constructive approach - no skating.

- Paul

If those are the worst intersections in Toronto, then we are laughing. I swear there are worse ones in 905! I'm intimately familiar with 3 of them in rush hour - none are worse than a 5-minute delay, and more like 2-3 minutes.

I've spent far longer at various spots on Highway 7.

It's a bit of a disservice to focus on one single intersection. If the study were rephrased as "the longest time taken to cover 1 km" I could suggest a few stretches of road that qualify. And statistically, intersections 11-20 are probably only a few seconds worse than 1-10. If you graphed all the intersections that exceed a criteria of X, you'd have enough circles to paint a Zum bus.

- Paul

That graphic leads me to ask the following completely unimportant question:

Why do they have what appears like a goose as the image for a duck?

I'm pretty sure geese honk instead of quack. Also, a honk is typically louder than a quack. They're doing themselves a disservice by not showing a picture of a mallard.

Also, I now feel compelled to go for a walk in High Park and carefully consider whether the quacks are exactly three times the volume of the rustling leaves.

They're doing themselves a disservice by not showing a picture of a mallard.

Also, I now feel compelled to go for a walk in High Park and carefully consider whether the quacks are exactly three times the volume of the rustling leaves.

I'm pretty sure people dislike geese more than ducks as well, so that also contributes to the disservice.

And 60 dB ≠ 20 db*3. Decibels are on a log scale.

I'm pretty sure people dislike geese more than ducks as well, so that also contributes to the disservice.

And 60 dB ≠ 20 db*3. Decibels are on a log scale.
That is true of the sound pressure levels; however, humans also perceive sound roughly on a logarithmic scale (Weber-Fechner). That means the perceived loudness is actually around 3 times louder.

Anyway, what a strange comparison. 60 dB is more like conversation feet or an air conditioner 30 meters away. That's a quiet train :)

What's making me laugh is that this forum has now turned into a discussion of the noise levels of a duck, a goose, or wind.

African or European? Laden or unladen? ;-)

Yeah, this slide got some furrowed brows at the PIC. ML did a lot better on the Davenport diamond project to explain this..... the reference point of a truck at 15m is relevant, since the issue was residents (who are at some greater distance) worried that it would make traffic noise on Eglinton greater.

- Paul
Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 2.14.43 PM.png

- Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 2.14.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 2.14.43 PM.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 644

Back