News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 439     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

FYI.

From this link, the plans for a heavy rail Eglinton West subway included these stations:

Eglinton_West_Line.png

At minimum, the light rail stops, west of "York Centre" now Mt. Dennis, should have stops at the proposed stations.

Roughly equal to the intersections of old proposed "Richview Expressway.

Richview_Expwy..png
so basically the majority of the heavy rail was to be basically where above surface LRT stops are to be now in the west end

I thought the LA Metro LRT lines were pretty well done. They seemed more heavy on the grade separation than Toronto has planned.

Nice if the federal government (that the U.S. government for LA) helps pay for almost half the capital costs vs 1/3 for Toronto. See link.

Marking an historic vote of confidence in Metro Rail subway construction in Los Angeles, the L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) today joined federal, state and local elected officials to announce the receipt of a $1.25 billion Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA) from the Federal Transit Administration to help pay for the first nearly four-mile, $2.821 billion segment of the long-awaited Metro Purple Line Extension Project toward West Los Angeles.

My point is people will get use to these Metrolinx names and it would sound less strange.
i do not believe it. People will say get off at Cederville forgetting on the subway its eglinton west as an example. The names do need to be change so it reflects the cross street. If people are complaining that no one knows where Osgood or St patrick is then why do it with these new stops on the Crosstown. I do need to add for people working downtown they do as they go by the subway stops everyday

I think Cedarville is stupid because it should just be called Eglinton West station. It is the interchange station for Christ sake.

The others (minus Hakimi Lebovic, which will always be stupid) I think we will get used to over time.

Nice if the federal government (that the U.S. government for LA) helps pay for almost half the capital costs vs 1/3 for Toronto.
I don't think the federal government has ever paid for any of the capital costs in Toronto, until the recent Harper government did so on the Spadina extension.

Reactions: rbt
The others (minus Hakimi Lebovic, which will always be stupid) I think we will get used to over time.
Oh, that one is growing on my. My issue is Aga Khan Park & Museum, which is just too long. Just call it Aga Khan - it's not like there are any other Aga Khan's around to create confusion ...

i do not believe it. People will say get off at Cederville forgetting on the subway its eglinton west as an example. The names do need to be change so it reflects the cross street. If people are complaining that no one knows where Osgood or St patrick is then why do it with these new stops on the Crosstown. I do need to add for people working downtown they do as they go by the subway stops everyday
First, it's Cedarvale not Cederville.
Second, TTC is also renaming Downsview to Sheppard West. Are people going to get confused. Yes. Will people get use to it, probably or continue calling what they want to call it. That place the Blue Jays play is still called the SkyDome after all.

I'm not supporting the names that Metrolinx put out. They are better off calling it Keele, Dufferin and Bathurst. I'm saying people will get used to it once the LRT is in operation for a few years. Newer generation and immigrants will refer it to those name. The media will use the names. It's not a huge issue at the end of the day. People will shorten stupidly long names.

You look at Hong Long. None of their stations reflect the street that the station is located but instead the neighbourhood like Fairbanks, Forest Hill and Leaside. Naming after a location isn't a terrible idea. Naming after an unknown neighbourhood like Fairbanks sure is.

Naming after a location isn't a terrible idea. Naming after an unknown neighbourhood like Fairbanks sure is.

'Unknown' is different than 'Forgotten'. There is nothing wrong with reinstating old names that were part of the city's past history, with the goal of ensuring they don't get forgotten a second time. Otherwise, we need to eliminate all official references to Corktown, Leslieville, and some others.....they disappeared from the map in the 1920's or earlier.

But this is one of those topics that will cycle ad nauseum. In the end, people will acclimatise to whatever station name is used. Lost tourists will just ask for directions. The debate may be pointless.

- Paul

The Bay Station is located in the former Village of Yorkville, a former suburb.

300px-BaySubway_NameOnWall_Toronto.jpg

Yeah that's fine, because Bay is the name and Yorkville underneath is just a handy information.

All the names really irk me, but Eglinton station above all stands out for its stupidity. Whereas the others at least are trying to name the station after a neighborhood, which I don't think works in the Toronto context, but at least it has a reason.

The station names in LA made sense and you knew exactly where you were (e.g. Wilshire/Normandie, Wilshire/Vermont, Wilshire/Western, Hollywood/Western. Why not name the stations after the cross-streets so you know exactly where you are in the context of the city?

Yeah that's fine, because Bay is the name and Yorkville underneath is just a handy information.

All the names really irk me, but Eglinton station above all stands out for its stupidity. Whereas the others at least are trying to name the station after a neighborhood, which I don't think works in the Toronto context, but at least it has a reason.

The station names in LA made sense and you knew exactly where you were (e.g. Wilshire/Normandie, Wilshire/Vermont, Wilshire/Western, Hollywood/Western. Why not name the stations after the cross-streets so you know exactly where you are in the context of the city?

Seeing as there's already a Yonge-Eglinton Centre on-site, I don't see why they couldn't just name the station Yonge-Eglinton. The area is already colloquially known as "Young and Eligible", so I don't think the general public would have an issue with that as a naming convention.

I think Cedarville is stupid because it should just be called Eglinton West station. It is the interchange station for Christ sake.

What's stupider is that the perfectly suitable "Allen" existed as a possible name choice and they chose not to go with the obvious.

Seeing as there's already a Yonge-Eglinton Centre on-site, I don't see why they couldn't just name the station Yonge-Eglinton. The area is already colloquially known as "Young and Eligible", so I don't think the general public would have an issue with that as a naming convention.

That neighbourhood is indeed called Yonge-Eglinton. I believe Metrolinx broke their own naming rules by calling it Eglinton.

I'm in the "cedarville" area all the time and have never seen that named used to describe the area. Conversely, "Eglinton West"' is used to describe the area between Bathurst and Allen, including "cedarville" quite frequently.

Back