News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 453     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Actually, "Eglinton West" is indeed the official place name for the neighbourhood along Eglinton roughly between Oakwood and Bathurst, or Oakwood and Allen. This makes the decision to rename Eglinton West Station all the more puzzling. The original station name follows Metrolinx's guidelines.

There were Grand Trunk/CN and CP train stations (plural) located at Dufferin & Queen. They was named PARKDALE. They closed down by 1977. See link.

NorthParkdaleStations1900.jpg

If, or rather when, they decide to put in a GO/RER/SmartTrack/DRL station at Dufferin & Queen, should they go with a location name, or return to the original name of Parkdale for it?

Personally, I prefer to see the Parkdale name resurrected.

That isn't the same thing as Cedarville though. Parkdale is the name of the neighbourhood and the name that everyone associates that area with.

Forest Hill and Leaside are good station names for the same reason. The only issue with those is that they chose the wrong station to give them those names. It would be like naming a stop at Roncesvalles and Queen as Parkdale.

Honestly, folks, do a little research before you declare that these place names are unheard of.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2010/02/pictorial-history-torontos-cedarvale-neighbourhood

Just because someone born after 1970 has never heard of them means little.

I am a bit disappointed, however, that we have Hakimi and not, for instance, Mirvish. Or Eatonville.

- Paul

Nobody denies that these place names have historical merit. The issue is that there are more relevant and accurate names that could've been picked.

Nobody denies that these place names have historical merit. The issue is that there are more relevant and accurate names that could've been picked.
Not to mention functional.

This is an interchange station. It should have the same name as the station it is interchanging with.

Anyone else see the ridiculousness of having two stations in literally the same geographic place with a directed interchange between them having different names?

Imagine if we called one of the platforms at Bloor-Yonge as Yorkville station, in addition to Bloor-Yonge.

That isn't the same thing as Cedarville though. Parkdale is the name of the neighbourhood and the name that everyone associates that area with.

Forest Hill and Leaside are good station names for the same reason. The only issue with those is that they chose the wrong station to give them those names. It would be like naming a stop at Roncesvalles and Queen as Parkdale.

I would name any station at Roncesvalles & Queen, SUNNYSIDE. See link.

Sunnyside_Station_1915.jpg

Anyone else see the ridiculousness of having two stations in literally the same geographic place with a directed interchange between them having different names?
Clearly the TTC and a few city councillors dont. It's part of some of the delusional thinking that goes on around this city.

Not to mention functional.

This is an interchange station. It should have the same name as the station it is interchanging with.

Imagine if we called one of the platforms at Bloor-Yonge as Yorkville station, in addition to Bloor-Yonge.

You know, the funny thing is that when Crosstown East is built, we might need to rename the station at Yonge and Eglinton to not conflict with Eglinton GO, which lies on the same line.

The absolute worst situation would be to have stations called "Eglinton" and "Eglinton GO"

There were Grand Trunk/CN and CP train stations (plural) located at Dufferin & Queen. They was named PARKDALE. They closed down by 1977. See link.

NorthParkdaleStations1900.jpg

If, or rather when, they decide to put in a GO/RER/SmartTrack/DRL station at Dufferin & Queen, should they go with a location name, or return to the original name of Parkdale for it?

Personally, I prefer to see the Parkdale name resurrected.
I would say Dufferin but underneath have the name Parkdale - oops i forgot there Is already Dufferin on Bloor and we know Metrolinx hates duplicate names. But then again if its DRL, this is a TTC project so I assume it will be TTC naming conventions

Not for Bathurst its not - using Forest Hill. When people think of Forest Hill its not Bathurst and Egltnton that comes to mind. Basically money wasted on consultants when the original names were fine. Even before i knew where the stations would be and prior to the decision made by Metrolinx it took me 1 min to figure out where the stops should be (at at least up to Bayview as I am not that familiar with the east end). And sure enough when metrolinx decided, it matched. All one had to do was look at a map to figure out where the stops should be which basically means a major cross street and not mid block and I am sure countless people figured it out also

According to this map, the station is in Forest Hill.

Forest_Hill_map.png

You walk a couple of minutes to the east and you are at Forest Hill Colleigiate Institute. People are making a mountain out of a molehill. Nobody is getting lost due to these station names. When most people are trying to get somewhere, they use an app to get the directions or ask somebody to show them where it is. I mean that's what I do. People have learned to leave with the St. Patrick, St. Andrew, Museum, Downsview stations of this world.

Back