News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Has it ever been stated whether or not the surface east portion of the Crosstown is being built with signal priority? I would assume yes, but this is Toronto so you never know.

Another observation about the traffic study in that EA is that it was predicated on an absence of traffic priority for LRT. The study assumed that LRT would stop for red lights in the east-west direction, and proceed in the same cycle as auto traffic. If Crosstown West ever comes to be, this needs revisiting. Lack of traffic priority for the LRT is a potential contributor to a "street car" level performance, expecially since the traffic study recommends a 120 second light cycle. There's no advantage in far-side loading platforms unless you have traffic priority to support it.

- Paul

The average speed in the west was projected in the same EA to be 28 to 31 km/h. I'm not sure if it was with or without TCP, but I'd hope they're using the same operation assumptions as in the traffic study.:

The vehicle’s average speed including stops is projected to be 28-31 km/hr in the west surface section, 22-25 km/hr in the east surface section and 32 km/hr underground.

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...udies-and-major-functional-design-options.pdf

Yes - the bike lanes are great - the question is whether they will stay that way. The new plan will move them next to the road. The planner at the public meeting commented to that effect. What we have may be gone soon.

- Paul

Except that the weather (IE. the temperatures) helped clear the path of ice and snow. Normally, the city does not clear the bike path along Eglington of ice or snow.

Metrolinx/Ontario never wanted nor planned to pay for a spur on Eglinton. ST gain traction cause Harper chipped in or Metrolinx would tell Tory a big fat NO to ST. If Toronto is really going to build these projects like Jane LRT, waterfront LRT, they really need to start finding new revenue for these project. Don't expect Wynne or Trudeau to pay for them fully. Otherwise nothing will ever get built beyond a few projects. Something like Sheppard or Steeles BRT is affordable. Waterfront LRT is already stretching it.

It was never supposed to be ST, and now it's reverting to the original LRT plan that the province committed to paying for though.

The average speed in the west was projected in the same EA to be 28 to 31 km/h. I'm not sure if it was with or without TCP, but I'd hope they're using the same operation assumptions as in the traffic study.:

The vehicle’s average speed including stops is projected to be 28-31 km/hr in the west surface section, 22-25 km/hr in the east surface section and 32 km/hr underground.

http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...udies-and-major-functional-design-options.pdf
It's done under a simulation, actually conditions could be different. Considering how long it takes the city to repair TCP signals for current bus/streetcar signals, a broken antenna could screw over the entire Eglinton line.

I can't even imagine installing a new LRT without transit signal priority. I think that's part of the minimum package that distinguishes LRT from streetcars. Imagine how much longer it would take to get somewhere without it.
Most streetcar lines in the city have transit priority. All streetcars have the antenna to trigger it but not all intersections allow such thing. The question is how much priority will the LRT get compared to lets say St Clair.

The real trouble with transit priority is how it implemented in Toronto. It may delay the green, so a transit vehicle (bus, streetcar, light rail) may cross the intersection. It may quicken the lights to change, but give left turn vehicles (usually single-occupant automobiles) priority ahead of transit vehicles.

The problem is that traffic signals are under the control of the city's transportation department (read "roads"), so the TTC has to genuflect before them to request permission. Queen's Quay's traffic signals are implemented badly.

In addition, the transit signals can be confused with normal traffic signals. The rest of the world uses transit signals that are different looking from regular traffic, but not in Ontario.

Last edited:
Avenue Road!!!!

crossedavenue.JPG

Attachments

• crossedavenue.JPG
    crossedavenue.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 641
Those left turn restrictions on to Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, etc. along Eglinton West must give the residents a lot pause.

I don't think that has been done anywhere else in Toronto, let alone Ontario?

Those left turn restrictions on to Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, etc. along Eglinton West must give the residents a lot pause.

Aren't there similar restrictions on lefts/U-turns on St Clair West?

Aren't there similar restrictions on lefts/U-turns on St Clair West?

To a handful of side streets yes, but not to major arterials. Eglinton West will also have separate signals mid-block for U-Turns only which I haven't seen anywhere else before.

I think we are confusing left restrictions/U-turns on the E-W transit corridor street with left restrictions to intersecting N-S streets.

are you saying there are left turn restrictions on these roads during periods of the day?

I think we are confusing left restrictions/U-turns on the E-W transit corridor street with left restrictions to intersecting N-S streets.

For clarity -

The EA (pre land sale) proposed that left turns fe.g. rom Eglinton to Islington be made by driving straight through the intersection, then doubling back at a new U-turn stoplight, then making a right turn onto the north-south street eg Islington.

The EA proposed that left turns from Eglinton at Martin Grove be made by turning right onto a new roadway that came to a new T intersection with Martin Grove, and turning left from that intersection (controlled with new traffic signals) onto Martin Grove.

This puts 2 new traffic lights on Martin Grove, and 2 new traffic lights at some other intersections on Eglinton.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back