News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 411     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I don't think community meetings should ever change policy directions, largely because the meetings only represent the people who had the means to attend those meetings. You see this reflected in the demographics of who attends these meetings: generally 65+ and white.
I go but I am 36 and white.... I think the bigger issue of the age and race is that it is probably the least likely group to be taking transit in Toronto and so they may have ulterior motives in their suggestions.

Should we only listen to those who don't take the time to attend? Though maybe we do that already since a petition from condo residents scared Jaye Robinson so much that we ended up getting a stupid stop at Leslie.

I've been to a bunch of meetings (never in Etobicoke I confess), and the demographics you describe don't reflect reality.
yet when residents in Weston complain about the gas plant being located in their ward, Metrolinx does nothing although they did say if there is a lot of opposition and no one wants it there, it can be moved. They are just paying lip service I think. Guess if this happened in the east say Leslie a decision would have already been made to remove it by Metrolinx

Should we only listen to those who don't take the time to attend? Though maybe we do that already since a petition from condo residents scared Jaye Robinson so much that we ended up getting a stupid stop at Leslie.

I've been to a bunch of meetings (never in Etobicoke I confess), and the demographics you describe don't reflect reality.

No, I don't think we should be making major policy decisions based on community meetings. Exactly because the people who need this infrastructure the most are the same people who have the least ability to take three hours out of their day to come to these public meetings. This includes people who are at work, people with multiple jobs, watching kids, lower income people, etc...,

If people want to complain about small details at community meetings, that's fine. But broad policy should never be set solely because of feedback at the meetings. That should be done via elected representatives.

No, I don't think we should be making major policy decisions based on community meetings. Exactly because the people who need this infrastructure the most are the same people who have the least ability to take three hours out of their day to come to these public meetings. This includes people who are at work, people with multiple jobs, watching kids, lower income people, etc...,

If people want to complain about small details at community meetings, that's fine. But broad policy should never be set solely because of feedback at the meetings. That should be done via elected representatives.

You aren't giving sufficient credit to the dynamics of public meetings. There is theatre in many directions eg the (sometimes contrived) aplause. However - One noisy public meeting may have more impact on elected reps' thinking than a hundred insightful, well-composed emails. I'm actually impressed with how the elected representatives that I see in public meetings process that much conflicting input. (did I just say something nice about politicians? sheesh.) If they can't find a way through it all, they don't get reelected.

There is a difference between 'input' and 'analysis'. I agree that public meetings are a poor forum to talk on a technical level. When I chatted with the ML people who were staffing the display boards, I had no illusion that I could make some point that would make them say 'That's a good idea - I'm going to make that change.' then and there. But - when six people in a row complained (to applause) that some part of the study was 'crap', I knew that the elected reps were going to be asking followup questions, and that meant that staff were going to be rethinking their sums. Even if the speakers had no substance to their comments at the time, the elected rep wants something better to take back next time. It's an interesting way to challenge and dissect a plan, but it produces some interesting forward progress.

- Paul

the left turn recommendations in the EA are sufficiently extreme that they deserve full discussion. People don't have to be traffic analysts to look at the maps and go "whaaaa?". When you look at how left turns at major intersections are changed, it's not a local residents' issue - it affects through traffic.

I did a bit of back of envelope scribbling today. It's 6.6 km from Weston Road to the East Mall. At the projected speed of 28 kph, the travel time is 850 seconds between those points. There are 11 signalled intersections today, and the U turn lanes add more. The data in the traffic study suggested that it takes 31 seconds for an LRT to recover from a full stop at a red light. If you assume there will be more red lights, and use 31 seconds to estimate the delay at some percentage of these, it doesn't take many more lights before you eat up much of the 850 seconds. If you assume more than 6-7 stops, this adds dwell time. The left turns that are being converted to U-turns already have heavy volume. The amount of time that cars making U turns will spend crossing LRT tracks is significant, meaning that even with traffic priority there will be conflict with LRT.

It doesn't take much for the result to be a longer travel time. That makes the LRT a poorer performer.

Never mind what the residents think - if you want this LRT to succeed, you need to be very concerned about how feasible this traffic plan is. It could kill overall speed.

- Paul

I can't believe that even Toronto would fail to set up transit priority at a dedicated U-turn signal!

Looking at your map above, the indirect left turns look pretty well planned out to me. Left turn phases at suburban arterials drive me crazy in general - it's so inefficient! Much of the time, I bet the proposed arrangements will be faster for all drivers than the current arrangements.

As a downtown resident, I wish we had the option to eliminate left turns so easily. Left turns slow traffic, especially mixed traffic streetcars. And they kill quite a few pedestrians. Good for the planners on this one, in my view.

I can't believe that even Toronto would fail to set up transit priority at a dedicated U-turn signal!

My fear is that it will be set up, Toronto style. We don't do transit priority well yet. Do we expect different here?

Transit priority is good for extending green lights, and for curtailing opposing greens, when transit vehicles are approaching. The risk here is different. You have a significant volume of left turn traffic, which means there will still have to be significant minimum timing for the cross-traffic over the tracks. Otherwise, the U-turning vehicles will back up waiting for a permissive signal (and we may not have width for long waiting lanes for the U-turn light, thanks to the 45-meter thing). If an LRT approaches during the minimum period for the U-turn green, the minimum duration will take precedence over the transit priority function. And the LRT will come to a stop. The more U-turn crossings there are, the more of this will occur.

U-turn lanes for right turns require the vehicle to come out of the U, merge into the left traffic lane, and then make a lane change to the right lane in order to turn. Can you say "fender-bender"? That's a lot of perturbation in traffic flow. You can signal the far side of the U-turn lane, which slows the through traffic.

Bottom line - left turn traffic is going to be problemmatic either way.

Three duckunders - Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove - are not going to break the City's piggy bank. Everyone wins.

- Paul

U-turn lanes for right turns require the vehicle to come out of the U, merge into the left traffic lane, and then make a lane change to the right lane in order to turn. Can you say "fender-bender"? That's a lot of perturbation in traffic flow. You can signal the far side of the U-turn lane, which slows the through traffic.

Bottom line - left turn traffic is going to be problemmatic either way.

Three duckunders - Islington, Kipling, and Martin Grove - are not going to break the City's piggy bank. Everyone wins.

- Paul

I think the U-Turns will all occur while opposing traffic is stopped, hence the traffic signals. So the weaving from left to right shouldn't be a huge issue.

But I agree that Islington, Kipling, Martin Grove, (and possibly Royal York) should look at partial underground options.

Looking at your map above, the indirect left turns look pretty well planned out to me. Left turn phases at suburban arterials drive me crazy in general - it's so inefficient! Much of the time, I bet the proposed arrangements will be faster for all drivers than the current arrangements.

Tripling or quintupling the number of traffic signals per intersection generally does not lead to increased efficiency.

Technically, they still could make a side alignment happen.

Instead of build the LRT guideway in the middle of Eglinton, build on top or bottom and just shift the roadway.

Technically, they still could make a side alignment happen.

Instead of build the LRT guideway in the middle of Eglinton, build on top or bottom and just shift the roadway.

Well Metrolinx is examining varying degrees of grade separation, and City staff have also confirmed that they are looking at side of road alignments, so we'll know soon enough. I suspect side of road might be possible in some locations, and in other locations it'll have to switch to the centre (which isn't unprecedented at all). I expect that it won't work, but we'll see. You never know until it's investigated

I think the U-Turns will all occur while opposing traffic is stopped, hence the traffic signals. So the weaving from left to right shouldn't be a huge issue.

But I agree that Islington, Kipling, Martin Grove, (and possibly Royal York) should look at partial underground options.
Just so I have this straight, the LRT will be underground at Keele but as it approaches Black Creek will come above surface. Now, does it go back below surface after Black Creek to Weston Rd or does it continue above surface from Black Creek to Weston Rd?

Just so I have this straight, the LRT will be underground at Keele but as it approaches Black Creek will come above surface. Now, does it go back below surface after Black Creek to Weston Rd or does it continue above surface from Black Creek to Weston Rd?

Probably below-grade to Weston due to having to cross the rail.

Back