News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The area on the south side of Eglinton is undoubtedly very prosperous and very car-centric. The area to the north is much more "average", although real estate is certainly pricey throughout so people up there have means. On both sides, it's the kind of low density suburb that is hard to service by transit. You are never going to find people in that kind of community giving up their autos, because the layout of the whole thing obstructs both transit and active commuting. That's just how it is in the burbs.

At the end of the day, most of the traffic on Eglinton is passing through, and not destined locally. If we mess up traffic flows, it's people from other parts of the city who will suffer - not the locals. When you get past the Nimbyism, you still have a very major street that needs the best possible solutions to keep cars and LRT from getting in each others' way.

- Paul

Eglinton has many of the busiest bus routes in the city that overlap on the same road, both east and west, so clearly many are inclined to take transit. Some areas along the route are higher some lower income.

People who live midtown with cars often take transit for work downtown and cars for other trips.

Are there any preliminary plans showing how a surface LRT would fit on Eglinton? Would some sections be reduced to one lane in each direction? If so, that would be a traffic nightmare. Eglinton needs to remain a strong arterial road as an alternative to the clogged 401.

I'd also be curious to see the usage forecast for an LRT as Eglinton is pretty sparse through Etobicoke. If someone is going downtown it would probably be faster to continue south on the buses towards the Bloor Subway rather than hop on Crosstown to the Spadina line.

In terms of getting to the airport, just relocate the Lawrence west express bus to Eglinton west @ Mt Dennis.

Last edited:
Are there any preliminary plans showing how a surface LRT would fit on Eglinton? Would some sections be reduced to one lane in each direction? If so, that would be a traffic nightmare. Eglinton needs to remain a strong arterial road as an alternative to the clogged 401.

I'd also be curious to see the usage forecast for an LRT as Eglinton is pretty sparse through Etobicoke. If someone is going downtown it would probably be faster to continue south on the buses towards the Bloor Subway rather than hop on Crosstown to the Spadina line.

In terms of getting to the airport, just relocate the Lawrence west express bus to Eglinton west @ Mt Dennis.

Remember that you'll pretty much have fare integration by the time this opens, you could transfer onto UP/GO Georgetown or GO Barrie to go downtown instead of going all the way to Cedarvale.

See and actually read the reports at this link.

No where will Eglinton be reduced to one lane in each direction. Unless parked cars in the non-rush hours count, but then the light rail vehicles would be underground along those points.

From yesterday's budget - there is a graphic on page 70 (see link below) which lists the status of transit projects in the GTHA underway (EA and construction status - eg. GO East and West RER, etc.) and those projects needing "new partner funding" before proceeding.

No surprise, the "Eglinton West Extension" is "greyed" out on the chart and lumped in with Smart Track stations as "Projects proceeding only if new partner funding is provided. Timing to be determined".

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2016/papers_all.pdf

From yesterday's budget - there is a graphic on page 70 (see link below) which lists the status of transit projects in the GTHA underway (EA and construction status - eg. GO East and West RER, etc.) and those projects needing "new partner funding" before proceeding.

No surprise, the "Eglinton West Extension" is "greyed" out on the chart and lumped in with Smart Track stations as "Projects proceeding only if new partner funding is provided. Timing to be determined".

That's a good thing. Keep in mind that the Fed's are looking for shovel ready projects to announce in their budget coming up next month. The fact that the Province is including it in the budget is a good sign for it moving forward.

I took it as a more ominous sign... it says it will only proceed if new partner funding is found; that's a pretty big "if", considering the competing funding priorities at the city and provincial level.

Remember that you'll pretty much have fare integration by the time this opens, you could transfer onto UP/GO Georgetown or GO Barrie to go downtown instead of going all the way to Cedarvale.
this is off topic but its because I saw cedarvale. I have a feeling people will call that stop eglinton west like on spadian line just like I will do so.If I am in discussion with people I know for sure I will

it see

it seems strange its lumped in with SmartTrack as it is a continuation of the Crosstown. Guess with the Crosstown going to Pearson it would be competition for the UPX. I thought the federal gov't was a partner with SmartTrack as was the provincial gov't

Says who?

As a local resident, please get your car, tractor and trailers away from my street.

This is repeating the broken transit promises by the provincial Liberals under Wynne. All projects listed under The Big Move were to be paid 100% by the province, mostly through implementing the Investment Strategy. Wynne refused to implement said strategy, despite repeated statements that it was time to have an adult conversation about paying for transit projects. Now, Crosstown West is a victim of it all, and instead of an adult conversation and re-prioritizing resources in the budget, there's an expectation for the feds and/or the city to chip in.

Back