News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Was at the Richview Collegiate presentation today. Noticed a few comments that subways, subways, subways is better that light rail. Put on my own comment that light rail is less expensive with more stops for the neighbourhoods it goes through.

Did write a comment sheet that the Eglinton & Martin Grove intersection is one of the most traffic congested intersections in Toronto. It would be better for the LRT to go below grade at that intersection to a southwest stop, and continuing west on the south side of Eglinton to The East Mall.

^ Any details about the number of stops planned for Crosstown West i.e. just at major interesections or a 17-stop route.

Here is my Roselawn/Castlefield Bus route proposal:

That'd have even less usage than the 14 Glencairn which routes just to the north.

Photography Dr bridge demolition.

Cbqv1YhUYAECvzX.jpg_large.jpg

Cbq3BC8W4AUvFBp.jpg_large.jpg

CbsRMgqWEAAYAfb.jpg_large.jpg

Photos by Metrolinx

Attachments

• Cbq3BC8W4AUvFBp.jpg_large.jpg
    Cbq3BC8W4AUvFBp.jpg_large.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 1,019
  • Cbqv1YhUYAECvzX.jpg_large.jpg
    Cbqv1YhUYAECvzX.jpg_large.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,008
  • CbsRMgqWEAAYAfb.jpg_large.jpg
    CbsRMgqWEAAYAfb.jpg_large.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 1,045
Well actually, I envisioned it as more something like this:

This way instead of the huge meandering loop of Church, Weston and Oak; it would operate in a bi-directional manner via Pine Street. Short turns of either trips originating at Keelesdale or at Lawrence West could resume the original Church, Weston Oak loop though.

I lived in Weston when they changed the 59. It used to run on Lawrence between the Allen and Culford during rush hour, making it a good route for commuters along Weston Road and in the Maple Leaf neighbourhoods. It was also a bit altered, and detoured along Kind instead of Church/Maple Leaf because they were constructing the Weston tunnel at the time.

Around the time the detour ended, changes were made to the 52 and with it, the 59 was converted to run along its current route. Added extra time to what was originally a pretty good route. While it is a good change in that it provided regular service to those living on Culford (south of Lawrence) and Guliver, it impacted upstream riders. That and no-one really uses it east of Keele and south of Lawrence.

I like the loop idea, merging it with Trethewey, but would just make it start and end at Keelesdale. No need to send it back to Lawrence. Riders can transfer to the 52 if they need to go north or to Glencairn.

I like the loop idea, merging it with Trethewey, but would just make it start and end at Keelesdale. No need to send it back to Lawrence. Riders can transfer to the 52 if they need to go north or to Glencairn.

So essentially something more like this:

This turns the 59 into one giant loop, though clockwise (58 Trethewey) and counterclockwise (59 Maple Leaf-Culford) routings originating from Keelesdale Stn could exist.

This route is probably a better idea that the previous tangled up route. Let's get the fact straight, the Trethewey bus will still run in parallel as this route will never match the service level needed on Trethewey itself. A 15 min rush hour bus is still needed on Ingram, Sheffield and Benton. There is a demand from workers in that industrial area getting to/from the subway. Other times it could really be 30min or not run at all. Strangely a few do take the bus there at 10pm to start their night shifts. The Glencarin bus can't be extended with that railway in the way.

So essentially something more like this:

This turns the 59 into one giant loop, though clockwise (58 Trethewey) and counterclockwise (59 Maple Leaf-Culford) routings originating from Keelesdale Stn could exist.
I like this a lot

This route is probably a better idea that the previous tangled up route. Let's get the fact straight, the Trethewey bus will still run in parallel as this route will never match the service level needed on Trethewey itself. A 15 min rush hour bus is still needed on Ingram, Sheffield and Benton. There is a demand from workers in that industrial area getting to/from the subway. Other times it could really be 30min or not run at all. Strangely a few do take the bus there at 10pm to start their night shifts. The Glencarin bus can't be extended with that railway in the way.
its 12min during rush hour

its 12min during rush hour
That's the current service level. TTC doesn't have to match it for a new service if they split it from the current 59 since less people actually take it there. I'm just proposing that 15 min is good enough. It would probably take close to 45 minute round trip so 3 buses is needed. A 4th bus is needed for 12 min service which is something that I think is unnecessary for that route. For off peak, just one bus is needed. 30 minuted should be plenty of time to get back and forth.

Previous, the 52C only served that place with a 20min service.

Yes, but the 14 Glencairn can be extended south on Caledonia, west on Castlefield, north on Keele, do the Ingram/Sheffield/Benton route, east on Lawrence then south on Caledonia to Glencairn to resume its regular routing to Davisville. Problem solved.

How will fares work with Crosstown? Since the vehicles operate above and below ground will there be Presto Onboard or Faregates or what
The station designs show fare gates. Unlike the TTC streetcars and like VIVA, you'll probably have to buy a ticket before entering the platform and vehicles. The entire line will be proof of payment. Even if you entered through a fare gate a station, you'll still have to keep POP as you can be inspected anywhere on the TTC. This is the new plan that TTC will implement.

For majority of the users, Presto will be their POP. I guess they'll have a vending machine to sell single use tickets that can be tapped on a presto reader to enter through the fare gates that would be their POP for the ride.

The station designs show fare gates. Unlike the TTC streetcars and like VIVA, you'll probably have to buy a ticket before entering the platform and vehicles. The entire line will be proof of payment. Even if you entered through a fare gate a station, you'll still have to keep POP as you can be inspected anywhere on the TTC. This is the new plan that TTC will implement.

For majority of the users, Presto will be their POP. I guess they'll have a vending machine to sell single use tickets that can be tapped on a presto reader to enter through the fare gates that would be their POP for the ride.

I wouldn't be surprised to see presto readers on the trains at the door like the streetcars either

I wouldn't be surprised to see presto readers on the trains at the door like the streetcars either
But that would require them to board the train to inspect them oppose to being on the platform like VIVA and GO Trains. There is no excuse why someone doesn't have a valid fare while waiting on the platform. They'll use the excuse they can't get to the vending machines. It slows down inspection. Unlike the streetcars where there are many stops and no platforms, LRTs are different. There is plenty of space to have the presto machines at the entrance of the platform. There is also a way that you can cancel you fare if you tapped and didn't ride the GO Train at the machine so it's no big deal.

But that would require them to board the train to inspect them oppose to being on the platform like VIVA and GO Trains. There is no excuse why someone doesn't have a valid fare while waiting on the platform. They'll use the excuse they can't get to the vending machines. It slows down inspection. Unlike the streetcars where there are many stops and no platforms, LRTs are different. There is plenty of space to have the presto machines at the entrance of the platform. There is also a way that you can cancel you fare if you tapped and didn't ride the GO Train at the machine so it's no big deal.

I just tweeted Preto and crosstown to see what they have planed right now. I twitted them before asking about WiFi and they said that all satins and stop will have it

Back