News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The original question was why is the shovel-ready Crosstown east extension (entirely above ground) expected to take 8 years.

simple.....because its probably cheaper to build over a longer period of time than to pay for intensive 24/7 construction, which would mean mad overtime pay. China took advantage of plentiful cheap labour. Unfortunately
we don't have that luxury, especially when we have some who can get paid much more than white collared workers. I'm pretty sure if compensated enough, they can go probably twice at fast at least.

simple.....because its probably cheaper to build over a longer period of time than to pay for intensive 24/7 construction, which would mean mad overtime pay. China took advantage of plentiful cheap labour. Unfortunately
we don't have that luxury, especially when we have some who can get paid much more than white collared workers. I'm pretty sure if compensated enough, they can go probably twice at fast at least.
Its not necessarily about more money - its about when the money is being spent. If you look at Eglinton East, what's the point of starting construction now? If you look at portions where the tunnel is complete, there is no reason (other than not having the contracts in place) that the stations could not have already been started. Has nothing to do with 24/7 work or cheap labour.

Still haven't seen updated plans for the Don Mills Station. Don't know if provision will be made for a Don Mills station box for a future Don Mills/DRL line.

Still haven't seen updated plans for the Kennedy Station. This may take longer because of the SmartTrack/Line 2 extension/RER/GO decisions and plans that have to be made. Once they get a decision made, expect 24/7 work to be done on the Kennedy Station, to get it ready by 2021 (no blueprints yet, and its 2016).

its underground between those points, rises east of Leslie and then retreats back underground at Don Mills

?? You mean it rises to the median WEST of Leslie (about 350m west) and retreat back underground West of Don Mills (and east of the railway bridge)

Its not necessarily about more money - its about when the money is being spent. If you look at Eglinton East, what's the point of starting construction now? If you look at portions where the tunnel is complete, there is no reason (other than not having the contracts in place) that the stations could not have already been started. Has nothing to do with 24/7 work or cheap labour.
although I would have thought the prov would want the Crosstown ( the planned Keele to Kennedy) opened by next election even if partially opened (Keele to Eglinton West) if they had stated station construction. Is the tunnelling not being done 24hrs

?? You mean it rises to the median WEST of Leslie (about 350m west) and retreat back underground West of Don Mills (and east of the railway bridge)
I thought I had read, residents clamored for a Leslie stop and Metrolinx relented but decided the station would be above grade and then would go back down as it approached Don Mills. If not for the Leslie stop, the LRT would have gone below grade from Keele to Don Mills

although I would have thought the prov would want the Crosstown ( the planned Keele to Kennedy) opened by next election even if partially opened (Keele to Eglinton West) if they had stated station construction. Is the tunnelling not being done 24hrs

That's simply not possible. The preliminary work on station construction is only starting on a few stations now, such as at Keele, and the demolition of the Photography Drive overpass - necessary to begin work on the Mount Dennis station and MSF.

Waterloo's ION LRT is scheduled to open by the end of 2017, Ottawa a year after that. Those projects, and the Spadina Subway extension, will be the only new major transit projects done by the next election. Shovels should be in the ground for a few more projects - Finch West LRT, Hurontario LRT, maybe the first phase of GO electrification and the Scarborough Subway extension. Union Station revitalization will be complete.

I thought I had read, residents clamored for a Leslie stop and Metrolinx relented but decided the station would be above grade and then would go back down as it approached Don Mills. If not for the Leslie stop, the LRT would have gone below grade from Keele to Don Mills
Sorry, I hadn't followed your full conversation.
I don't blame the residents it local Councillor. It was Metrolinx' fault for not looking at the south side alignment.

Still haven't seen updated plans for the Don Mills Station. Don't know if provision will be made for a Don Mills station box for a future Don Mills/DRL line.

My understanding was that Don Mills was originally put underground so that it did not conflict with a future surface LRT. Don't know what provisions, if any, are being made in the design for a subway.

The contract for station construction was just awarded, was it not? Does that mean station design is finalized?

Sorry, I hadn't followed your full conversation.
I don't blame the residents it local Councillor. It was Metrolinx' fault for not looking at the south side alignment.
so what was their problem for not doing that? That's why I see these community meetings for transit pointless. Trying to make residents feel as if they are contributing somehow but then do what they want to do for their own reasons. Just look at a simple thing like the naming of the Crosstown stations. They named them what they wanted to not taking into account the naming conventions of the TTC (using cross street). Simple job, but they had to hire consultants and made it seem like the process to assign names was so complicated only consultants could; get it right (not).

Back