News   Jul 17, 2024
 152     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 556     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 949     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Yonge and Eglinton is increasingly becoming more and more urban with every construction project. I don't understand why people are arguing against separated cycle tracks because of their anecdotal "evidence" that they see 2 bikers on Yonge and Queen during rush hour, or that they think families can and should only live a car oriented lifestyle because they think that's the only way people can live their lives.

The point here is that there is a real potential for biking in this city and especially around this massive node. The whole notion of "if you build it they will come" cannot be more true. I really believe that adding visible, attractive, separated, safe bike lanes can really convince a lot of people to go bike for everyday errands like groceries, etc. I know this because it worked in many, many other cities, in the US, Canada, and around the world. After all, it's good for your wallet to bike, it's good for the environment, it's good for your health, and it's faster than walking, so why is biking even considered bad?

If you don't share my opinion, then keep in mind we can all yell about the potential of more bikers after taking a look at the effects of the pilot cycle tracks being added to Richmond, Adelaide, and Simcoe right now as we speak. Then we will really know if separated bike lanes really do have potential.

Great points.

Ugh... How long do we to deal with this whining from suburbanites who live nowhere near the affected neighborhoods.

The city is getting more urban and less car centric. The era of the cars ruling out city is coming to an end. Get over it. Gosh.

It reminds me of when Doug Ford couldn't believe that there are more pedestrians than cars at Yonge & Eg. This is Yonge & Eg, an increasingly urban node filled with pedestrians all day, not Scarborough or Etobicoke here.

Speaking of bikes, just wondering if any of the LRT stations will feature any significant amount of bike parking (by significant I mean something more than a token bike rack)? Something like what GO has now at most of their stations.

Apparently, bicycle parking is to be included in the design of the entrances. Still subject to change, so better keep on sending comments to Metrolinx and the TTC about it.

Apparently, bicycle parking is to be included in the design of the entrances. Still subject to change, so better keep on sending comments to Metrolinx and the TTC about it.

How about at all/most subway stations as well? Many have extra-large bus bays that are used by employees to illegally park (btw, if it is legal or not, TTC is required to assess the employees a taxable benefit). Others have a small parkette out front. Why don't we install bike racks in either location?

A good example is that small strip of grass along the bus bays at Main Station

It would of course need a removal policy or else it would be sitting full of broken bikes. Tag each bike every 12 hours. If they are still there after 48...they get removed.

Same thing for the Crosstown

It's a great idea to have bike parking near transit stations.

Many people can transform their 10-20 min walk to the subway station into a 3-10 min bike ride. Feeder buses are good but bikes can extend the reach of the stations into areas & streets which are more difficult for buses to serve.

One thing about the Eglinton crosstown is that some entrances are in what are currently plaza parking lots. Hopefully they become small public squares, maybe smaller versions of something like Mt Royal station in Montreal:

Fullscreen%20capture%2028122012%2035211%20PM(1).jpg

It could be done at stations like Bayview or Laird.

How about at all/most subway stations as well? Many have extra-large bus bays that are used by employees to illegally park (btw, if it is legal or not, TTC is required to assess the employees a taxable benefit). Others have a small parkette out front. Why don't we install bike racks in either location?

How much does it cost to park a car, $20 a day. I guess bike parking would be about $1 or $2 a day.

Ugh I would love to be able to park a bike at the station. So much more convenient than bussing. I'd buy myself a bike just to shuttle myself the few blocks between the station and my house. These need to be installed at every station in the city.

If this were implemented I'd actually expect to see a tangible increase in the number of people biking. Especially if the parking were free.

That's the current plan for bayview station. You can see there's room for bike racks in front of the station.
That's just replacing a McDonalds.

B-but the McDonalds!

If you want to see bike parking, you should see High Park station. Lots of special bike parking there, it seems well used too.

Last edited:
I prefer indoor, secure bike parking stations. I worry that the ECLRT bike facilities will be nothing more than the typical on-street bike parking.

This is at Victoria Park Station:

That's cool. I'm OK with normal parking like at St Clair West though. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think that the bike you'd ride to the subway station to go to work usually isn't a very expensive bike.

From this link:

[h=3]Station Features[/h] All stations, stops and vehicles will be accessible for wheelchairs and strollers. The main station entrances will all have elevators and escalators and the vehicles will all have low floors for easy boarding. Each station will also have safety features such as Designated Waiting Areas and close circuit TV monitoring. All stations will have outdoor bike parking, with at least 50% covered. Select stations (Mount Dennis, Eglinton West, Don Mills, Kennedy) will have secure indoor parking.

Back