News   Jul 23, 2024
 238     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 322     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 934     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Why are they building the launch shafts that far east already? I assumed that the tunnelling would be 1. Mt. Dennis to Allen, 2. Allen to Yonge, 3. Yonge to Laird, 4. Don Mills

Brentcliffe is a big intersection on Eglinton. It makes perfect sense to have the tunnel exit east of Brentcliffe where it won't disturb traffic as much.

Why are they building the launch shafts that far east already? I assumed that the tunnelling would be 1. Mt. Dennis to Allen, 2. Allen to Yonge, 3. Yonge to Laird, 4. Don Mills

They will launch from the east launch site and dig towards Yonge while the other two are moving towards Yonge at the same time.

I agree. Have there been any major development proposals along the route? It could take decades for the development to arrive.

All it is is a framework that governs future development along Eglinton. It doesn't necessarily mean it will happen fast or happen at all. It's possible that some development will happen over the long term.

Certain areas will become more urban over time, like Bayview & Eglinton. Some of the plazas/stores with parking lots may become a midrise condo for example.

Does anyone know if the sidewalk will be done in a similar fashion for the underground portions of the line (e.g. around the yonge and eglinton area and the like) .. I really hope they do.

Does anyone know if the sidewalk will be done in a similar fashion for the underground portions of the line (e.g. around the yonge and eglinton area and the like) .. I really hope they do.

The video was for the Eglinton Connects project which is a plan for the entire length of Eglinton where the LRT is, including the underground central section.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=44ae86664ea71410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Yes, they are planning to vastly improve the sidewalks & street in general through the underground section. The side-walks at Yonge-Eg are in terrible condition right now.

The video was for the Eglinton Connects project which is a plan for the entire length of Eglinton where the LRT is, including the underground central section.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=44ae86664ea71410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Yes, they are planning to vastly improve the sidewalks & street in general through the underground section. The side-walks at Yonge-Eg are in terrible condition right now.

What I've heard is Metrolinx will be replacing the sidewalks with the new design in any location where that they are digging them up (e.g. major intersections), but it is up to the City to build the new sidewalks along the rest of the corridor. Therefore there could be a real mish-mash of sidewalk designs along the corridor until the city finds the money to replace 10's of km of sidewalk. From a scheduling point-of-view it would be best for the city to do their share after the LRT track is laid (to avoid construction conflicts) but before the LRT opening day, which means some time in 2018 or 2019. Hopefully they'll have the money set aside by then.

Interesting comment from Steve Munro:

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=9890#comments
The Eglinton LRT west of Kennedy suffers from the fact Metrolinx was too cheap, initially, to pay for road widening (the space is available) where the “we will lose traffic lanes” argument actually held water (leaving aside the fact that those lanes are reserved for buses in the peak period today). Metrolinx has changed its mind, privately, but in the current political environment, they are keeping their heads down.

It's more likely that it's better to transition from tunnel to surface in that area. East of Brentcliffe, eglinton dips into the Don Valley.

This was probably for political reasons. It would be much easier to change the plans to a real subway with nothing east of Don Mills if it weren't for there being a single non grade separated intersection at Leslie. Typical Miller administration. Metrolinx wanted to change the plans to tunnel as far east as Don Mills then mysteriously went back to the old plan, supposedly because local residents wanted to keep the Leslie stop. I suspect the real reason was that there was talk of changing Eglinton to a subway as late as spring 2013 (see the Spacing article on the SRT LRT), then Murray decided not to do this. Obviously the reason why the SRT replacement was supposed to be LRT not ICTS is to make the Sheppard LRT difficult to cancel, it does not make sense otherwise because using ICTS would surely reduce the shutdown time. Now that the SRT LRT replacement is cancelled, the Sheppard LRT is easy to cancel and probably won't be built if John Tory is elected.

Widening Eglinton East to 3 lanes each way is an improvement (similar to what was done on Highway 7). A lot of the problem with this is that people who shop at big box stores do not use light rail for the most part, and narrowing the road to 2 lanes each way risks causing a situation similar to St. Clair/Keele, i.e. creating traffic congestion similar to the Gardiner between Bathurst and Park Lawn. But I strongly suspect that this section of Eglinton will be mostly used by people going through to Kennedy, the intermediate stops will have low usage. This area will never be redeveloped, RioCan can't even fill the vacant Zellers near Warden/Eglinton. Nothing is being done about the problem that the Eglinton LRT has far less capacity than subway despite being extremely expensive, and I am pretty sure that the portion of Eglinton west of Don Mills will be very busy.

This was probably for political reasons. It would be much easier to change the plans to a real subway with nothing east of Don Mills if it weren't for there being a single non grade separated intersection at Leslie. Typical Miller administration.

Please tell me that the comment about the Miller admin was a joke. Miller was gone long before Leslie was made at grade.

Back