News   Jul 17, 2024
 166     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

People don't want subways. They simply want rapid transit that is not in mixed traffic and doesn't need to stop for traffic lights.
Whether it is technically subway or light rail, I doubt many care except transit geeks. Stopping for traffic is equivalent to slow and unpredictable schedule.

^May I introduce you to Ford Nation? I think they care ;).

I would say Ford Nation & Ford himself mainly care that the trains aren't inconveniencing their cars in any way, that's their main concern.

Therefore, they don't care whether it's an LRV or a heavy rail car underground, as long as it's underground. Ford was perfectly happy with the 2010 fully underground LRT.

I would say Ford Nation & Ford himself mainly care that the trains aren't inconveniencing their cars in any way, that's their main concern.

Therefore, they don't care whether it's an LRV or a heavy rail car underground, as long as it's underground. Ford was perfectly happy with the 2010 fully underground LRT.
I was responding to Ksun. My bad. Didn't see the new post from Markster sneak in

And Fords support elevated transit too. "Monorail" means elevated for Ford and they wanted monorail.

I am probably more of a "layman" than most of the regular posters on here and, yes, I consider Eglinton to be, mostly a subway. As for those above, i bet you the average guy's nomenclature would depend on how much of it goes underground. To use Calgary, very little of it goes underground and where it does it is to get around/past something so most probably don't think of it as a subway but as an LRT with some bits underground. Kinda like the Spadina line here or if, say, the Hurontario line went underground from Steeles to Brampton GO (as some would want) it would still be an LRT with a bit underground.

That may "offend' some definitions (it is not meant to) and if it does I think people offended by that may have to get prepped for the years after 2020 when a lot of people talk of getting on the little subway on Eglinton (just my guess at how it will be tagged).

There are certainly some grey areas. One of the most on-the-fence examples I can think of is the Green Line in Boston. Central tunnel with surface branches. Thankfully in Boston it isn't much of an issue because the MBTA doesn't really assign technology type names to their routes, it's merely the Green Line or the Red Line or the Silver Line (all 3 of which are different technologies).

Perhaps once the new TTC naming scheme really starts to take hold it'll just be "Line 3" (replacing the SRT's current Line 3 designation).

Also Boston & Philly. Boston's underground LRT/streetcar is actually considered to be the first "subway" in North America. However above we were talking about a fully underground LRT.

Philly's "green line" streetcars are called subway-surface routes; the original Newark "subway" (built in the 1920s) was long officially called and still known as, the "City Subway." (Even though most was/is on the surface.) It is similar to Rochester's abandoned subway and Cincinatti's aborted subway (which they are both known as) as they were built for streetcars largely in an abandoned canal bed.

San Francisco's MUNI runs partially in the Market Street Subway, but only the underground portion is called a subway.
In Chicago, there's the State Street and Dearborn Avenue Subways, but the system is collectively known as the "L" - the opposite is true in New York, where there are many El lines, but the system is collectively known as the "Subway". The largely underground Canada Line, technically incompatable with the rest of the SkyTrain system, is often thought of as part of "SkyTrain."

Not sure how people will refer to the long underground section of Eglinton. But it's fair to call the Mount Dennis-Leaside tunnel a subway.

Pittsburgh and Seattle (Downtown Transit Tunnel) have major underground sections; Calgary's underground sections are more like underpasses than tunnels (with an exception on the new West Line).

Does anybody know what's happening at the eastern launch shaft (Brentcliffe)? Have they narrowed the road yet?

Thanks

The roadway hasn't been narrowed yet. Work continues on the south side of Eglinton creating a retaining wall so the hill won't become unstable during the actual digging in the middle of the road.

Back