News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The stops obviously would be strategically placed to minimize walking times. Don't you find it odd that the spacings in Etobicoke are (or at least were before Emmett was omitted) closer than the average spacing of the tunneled section? If central Eglinton is more densely populated than Richview yet pedestrians there are expected to walk farther to connect to the service, then what is an extra 100-200m for the handful of people living in-between those major arterials?

I'm pretty sure you know why there are fewer stations in the tunnelled portion. It's because underground stations are expensive to construct, would mean expropriating a lot of businesses, and would slow down travel times.

I guess there's a sort of trade off. It would be even less attractive if riders had to walk a KM, then stand and wait at a surface LRT shelter. Let them have a closer station. If that the stop is not requested, then they won't be slowing anybody down. These minor stations are not hurting you, so why do you hate them so?

For the stations that were not included in the presentation, for example Warden, are we to assume that left hand turns will be permitted at all 4 corners, similar to the current way?

Does it say anywhere that these LRVs will operate only as request stops? Is it just being assumed as that is what the current streetcars operate as?

Why run on a crosstown or subway line when the GO, especially when available at higher frequencies, are available? There is only ONE stop between Kennedy and Kipling and that is Union. Once the frequency at the 10-20 minute point, the transfer wouldn't be noticeable.

While I suspect you are right, there is no reason why a strict "press button to stop" rule cannot be put in place.
Yeah, I can just see the poor person in the back car, who discovers late one night that the button isn't working ...

I just don't see it working this way ... I'd think it would be an all-doors open at all stops thing.

What do other systems using the same LRV equipment do?

I remember that the Croydon Tramlink (which is a lot more comparable to what we are building than Calgary or Edmonton) has request stops. Each time I rode it, during the daytime, each and every stop was requested anyway.

I don't like what they've decided on for Wynford. They're adding another traffic light where there is currently a grade separation, slowing down the LRT more than the status-quo.

An island platform, with stairs and an elevator, would emphasize the line as higher-order, even if it's just for this one stop.

I have sent the following comment to my councilor and to eglintontransit@toronto.ca since I did go to the open house on Monday.

In the west section of the Eglinton LRT, “the pedestrian bridge west of Scarlett Road will be removed and replaced with a new traffic signal for surface level pedestrian crossings”. The Mulham Place stop and intersection will serve Plant World.

A little bit east, between the Humber River and Jane Street, the Emmett Avenue stop will be removed and the intersection will only allow right turns only (no signals).

Why is an intersection, with traffic signals, being allowed for a commercial operation (Plant World), but not for a long term health care facility (West Park Health Care Centre), a high school (York Humber), a park (Eglinton Flats) and condominium & apartment buildings?​

The stop at Mulham Place and does not appear on the PDF display panels, but they did show the stop on a complete layout of the line on a table at the open house.

CDL, there currently is a traffic light at Wynford in the eastbound lane. I think the overall idea with that stop is to get rid of a barrier (the grade separation), while also reducing the expenses of operating an elevator.

Yeah, I can just see the poor person in the back car, who discovers late one night that the button isn't working ...

I just don't see it working this way ... I'd think it would be an all-doors open at all stops thing.

What do other systems using the same LRV equipment do?

Not all doors open at all stops, but all doors can be opened by command at all stops. No point opening all to the cold outside. I believe Calgary's cycle is something like 12 or 18 seconds, after that if the door is closed, you cannot open it.

If they wanted to I am sure they could wire a system to open all the doors while in the tunnel, or at major interchange stops.

CDL, there currently is a traffic light at Wynford in the eastbound lane. I think the overall idea with that stop is to get rid of a barrier (the grade separation), while also reducing the expenses of operating an elevator.

There are plenty of other elevators on the line, what's one more?

Even if they close the underpass to traffic I still hope they keep it open to pedestrians add a stairwell (and maybe an elevator) in order to minimize walking distances. "Eliminating a barrier" but adding distance to people's walks isn't much of a trade-off.

The online display panels do not show the complete picture. To see all the stops and intersections affected you have to go to the open houses. Only then should you send comments to eglintontransit@toronto.ca or councilors.

Have noticed that with more median U-turns along Eglinton Avenue will result in more traffic signals. If they had stuck with the re-routed U-turns, there would have been less traffic signals along Eglinton.

In order to ensure fast and reliable transit service, left turn restrictions are being recommended for 9 stops along Eglinton Avenue. The analysis shows that maintaining the current intersection arrangement would result in:
  • Long pedestrian delays
  • Delays for left turning vehicles
  • Delays for cars going through intersections
  • Added delay for the LRT
Many cities around the world are using innovative ways of accommodating left turns without eating up green signal time at a busy intersection.
At Open Houses 2 and 2A, it was proposed to prohibit left turns in all directions at 10 intersections. Left turning traffic would have been re-routed. Following feedback from the community, we revisited the effects of
re-routing in all directions and determined :
  • At Martin Grove Road and Victoria Park Avenue, all left turning traffic will be re-routed to new or existing roads.
  • At seven intersections, a fresh approach called the median U-turn is being recommended:
  • At Kipling Avenue, Islington Avenue, Royal York Road, Scarlett Road and Birchmount Road, median U-turns located on Eglinton Avenue will replace left turns onto north/south streets.
  • At Jane Street and Pharmacy Avenue, median U-turns will replace left turns in all directions.
  • At Warden Avenue, this approach is not being recommended because the analysis showed no benefits from re-routing or U-turns.

Now to turn left, one has to first travel through the intersection, make a U-turn at a signal downstream of the intersection, and then turn right at the intersecting street.

Eglinton LRT: left turns

Just read the display panels. Two concerns (fortunately, they are mutually exclusive).

First, are they sure that the proposed way of dealing with left turns won't actually slow the LRT down. In most cases, they add two U-turn traffic lights per major intersection, to eliminate left turns at the intersection. Both of those new traffic lights potentially interfere with LRT.

Last edited:

Back