News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 413     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Small Update:

• TTC staff has identified 45 private properties that the commission would have to acquire in full for construction to proceed;
  • Furthermore, 53 private properties have been identified that the commission would need to acquire in part;
  • Lastly, there are 55 sites under municipal, provincial or federal jurisdiction that the TTC would need to acquire either a portion of or fully.

Interesting that they've upped their estimates as the average speed of the line on the surface routes.

eglington-avg.png

The pedestrian bridge over Eglinton West, just west of Scarlett Road, could be replaced by an intersection west of the current bridge near Plant World.

Emmett Avenue (between the Humber River and Jane Street) will not have left turns, only right turns.

There will be more lights to allow for U-turns.

The speeds are contingent on the Transit City line being built to ideal specs for what it is, namely a hybrid subway and on-street line. But it's not like the City has been progressive with streetcar priority signals or even traffic light synchronization in the past. Transportation services and various communities will probably insist on giving left turn signal priority to cars in part to facilitate U-turns at intersections. The resultant delays at intersections may then ripple across the system.

It's not like this is some revolutionary new system.

Last edited:
Metrolinx is also talking about changes to the surface sections to facilitate faster travel speed. No word on exactly what, but they may end up forcing Transportation Services' hand here.

The west surface section could be faster than Bloor Danforth subway?? Awesome!!!
:D

It'll be fast because outside of rush hour hardly anyone will request a stop at any of the midblock stops. This is really the terrain of at-grade or above-grade metro in an exclusive ROW whereby riders of the north-south feeder lines (46, 45, 37, 73, 76) will have a greater incentive to swtich modes rather than dump onto the B-D line. As the York U BRT is already proving the TTC still hasn't gotten its act together regarding transit signal priority. I don't expect that to change within the next decade when they've had over a century of experience with which to refine and improve upon their practices.

FYI, the route speed numbers for existing routes are wrong. Spadina and Eglinton West are actually slower than what's listed, while the Blood/Danforth line is faster, over 31km/hr. Misinformation for petty purposes.

By keeping ridership projections low for Eglinton, they've naturally come up with low ridership projections for each station...small crowds at each station really speed up a line by preventing delays, but this is just a projection.

FYI, the route speed numbers for existing routes are wrong. Spadina and Eglinton West are actually slower than what's listed, while the Blood/Danforth line is faster, over 31km/hr. Misinformation for petty purposes.

I didn't even think to question it, but you're right. If the 510 really went 14km/h, it would take 12 minutes to get from Front to Spadina Station. I wish!

An average speed of 30km/h means that the BD would take 52 min to travel from Kennedy to Kipling, yet the TTC's figures say the same trip takes 48 min (an average speed of 33km/h).

The averages are probably being helped out by the faster sections of each route. The 510's average is brought up by the tunnelled section and the bit between Lakeshore and Front. The west surface section is now seeing its averages increased by the long, desolate trip into the airport.

So what you are saying is... you think it should be a metro... despite the fact that a metro will be slower, because a metro has to make all stops, even those that are empty?

:confused:

The stops obviously would be strategically placed to minimize walking times. Don't you find it odd that the spacings in Etobicoke are (or at least were before Emmett was omitted) closer than the average spacing of the tunneled section? If central Eglinton is more densely populated than Richview yet pedestrians there are expected to walk farther to connect to the service, then what is an extra 100-200m for the handful of people living in-between those major arterials?

An average speed of 30km/h means that the BD would take 52 min to travel from Kennedy to Kipling, yet the TTC's figures say the same trip takes 48 min (an average speed of 33km/h).
If you look at the TTC's figures for Jane to Main Street; which is more comparable to what is being done on Eglinton, then it takes 31 minutes to travel the 15.4 km. That's an average speed of 29.8 km/hr. The use of 30 km/hr for subway seems a pretty fair estimate to me ... I don't see that people have to get petty about this.

Wouldn't we expect LRT to be a bit faster than subway? Doesn't LRT have faster acceleration than subway, though not as fast as the SRT? Does anyone have access to vehicle acceleration/deacceleration data by vehicle type; it would be pretty simple to build a journey-time calculator ... for the stretch without traffic lights at least.

Doesn't LRT have faster acceleration than subway, though not as fast as the SRT? Does anyone have access to vehicle acceleration/deacceleration data by vehicle type; it would be pretty simple to build a journey-time calculator ... for the stretch without traffic lights at least.

I'd suspect that acceleration is limited by the riders' comfort, and not by the vehicle type. They all can accelerate faster than the riders are willing to tolerate.

I'd suspect that acceleration is limited by the riders' comfort, and not by the vehicle type. They all can accelerate faster than the riders are willing to tolerate.
I don't think that is the case. Though uneven acceleration can be a problem, which might be part of the reason that SRT has an advantage, with it's ATC system.

Back