News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 640     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 966     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I do agree with you on this. Trenching the LRT would make development on the north side of Eglinton very difficult in some parts.

Whatever is done here will have to be carefully thought out. There is an opportunity to create a vibrant retail strip similar to what we see on Danforth.

Not to be negative but I lived downtown and now on Eglinton near allen and Bathurst. Part of the reason the retail is not so hot up here is that the houses are so big and far apart the density isnt really there. As a result there isnt much foot traffic. Im assuming the same problem is going to be found in western eglinton areas. In the suburbs if people cant walk from their door to the stores door in 10 minutes they choose to drive.. Its just a fact, a sad fact, of life.

I'm confused about what LRT you're referring to. There is no LRT on Weston (as far as I know)

weston road and eglinton.... the kodak yards... its underconstruction if thats what you mean.... but it will be there... originally there was going to be a traffic light stop at black creek.

This section of eglinton between scatlett and royal york is blessed in that there are alot of high rise and townhomes which abut the ROW. Those people I believe would absolutely love to have a vibrant retail strip on their front porch. many people do choose to cross the bridge over the street showing there is a desire to come down to eglinton and across it between the long blocks aside from just the intersections.

These high rise clusters along with others in other parts of the inner suburbs are one of our saving graces for urbanization and intensification within the city. They provide the populace to leverage in creating these zones.

This section of eglinton between scatlett and royal york is blessed in that there are alot of high rise and townhomes which abut the ROW. Those people I believe would absolutely love to have a vibrant retail strip on their front porch. many people do choose to cross the bridge over the street showing there is a desire to come down to eglinton and across it between the long blocks aside from just the intersections.

These high rise clusters along with others in other parts of the inner suburbs are one of our saving graces for urbanization and intensification within the city. They provide the populace to leverage in creating these zones.

between scarlett and royal york I totally agree this will work.... its west of here that I am thinking of

Lots on the former Richview Expressway right-of-way have been sold or are for sale. Currently, they are digging the dirt just east of Martin Grove. There is currently a development for Widdicombe & Eglinton Condos. See link.

urbantoronto-8697-29565.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...nton-Condos-(Cityzen-Fernbrook-3s-Tact)/page3

so part of the corridor is sold and under construction... I too agree that this part of Eglinton is like a mini highway with few lights... The cheapest option is the best option because its the most likely option...

Look at Scarborough. It is not the cheapest solution that won - it was the one that the people wanted. The question to always ask is whether the marginal additional cost will create enough additional benefits (i.e. better operation, public acceptance, etc.).

Look at Scarborough. It is not the cheapest solution that won - it was the one that the people wanted. The question to always ask is whether the marginal additional cost will create enough additional benefits (i.e. better operation, public acceptance, etc.).

You could, however, suggest that if you went to the residents of areas with planned transit lines (LRT, BRT, whatever) and asked "do you want that, or would you rather have a subway?" you will get all of them asking for a subway. So is what the people want always the best solution? Or does there have to be leadership from the experts and politicians to show that there are alternatives which, often, are the best solutions.

To describe the increase in cost from the $1.4B LRT in Scarborough to the ~$3B subway as "marginal" is to stretch the meaning of that word beyond its most common usage.

We wouldn't trust the uninformed masses to dictate how our sewer system should work. Why should we with transit? I'm not saying that there shouldn't be public input, but the entire process really needs to be depoliticized. Something is seriously wrong when people who don't take or understand anything about transit operations start telling experts what technology should and shouldn't be used in transit operations.

Last edited:

Scarborough was a political war.. Scarborough also had something that had to be replaced. The Eglinton line could just stay a stub indefinitely at weston. The complete line to the airport is a luxury not a NEED. As much as I want this line complete I realize that the DRL is a NEED and as a result thats where the funds should be going. I just hate all these TC stubs... They need to be completed sooner then later.

I'd love to know who thought that selling that land was a good idea, when rapid transit is planned for that corridor. It's as if the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing in this city.

The corridor was planned for a new freeway connecting the 401/427 with the Highway 400 Extension and the Crosstown Expressway. Without the crosstown, the Richview Expressway was of limited use, dumping even more traffic in the congested Scarlett/Black Creek/Weston/St. Clair mess.

That said, it would have been perfect for a trenched Eglinton-Crosstown extension (of course air rights and leftover land could be sold too), and yes, I'm sad to see the land sold.

The ROW isn't exactly easier to construct. That would involve tearing up the street, widening it, laying the tracks down the middle etc... The trenching solution would have little impact on traffic during construction and in operations. Construction costs of the two should be similar, but maintenance of the trenched option should be lower.

I do agree with you on this. Trenching the LRT would make development on the north side of Eglinton very difficult in some parts.

Whatever is done here will have to be carefully thought out. There is an opportunity to create a vibrant retail strip similar to what we see on Danforth.

West Eglinton west (that's what I call it) has a chance to become a big deal IMO. Just as much as Sheppard (gasp!) or St Clair.

Back