News   Jun 25, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 742     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

BurlOak, Milton connects to Markham, not Kitchener I believe. Otherwise, Good plan. But true about rush hour. What about Bathurst yard?

its more than the bathurst yard, you can only store a couple of trains there. the one by the don river and the one out by islington avenue are also midday storage locations IIRC.

its more than the bathurst yard, you can only store a couple of trains there. the one by the don river and the one out by islington avenue are also midday storage locations IIRC.

Right, but that still would not be enough. This is a tough call IMO. Maybe the trains(non Lakeshore) have to start at union

what do you mean? the point I made with midday service is that you cannot use a singular platform for each service because of train movements, passenger loading and unloading, etc.

So between Jane and Scarlett there are no lights. Between scarlet and royal York, there are no lights. Between Royal york and islington there ia only one light. Betwwen islington and kipling there ia one light at a strip mall on the north side which could easily be restricted to allow for only right turns. Between Kipling and martingrove, only one light for the richview plaza and the north siee apartment complex. The LRT being traffic separated here makes next to no difference s every intersection with lights can easily be restricted to allow for only right hand turns or that intersection will host a station. The ROW is large so just make it at grade through there. This section of eglinton acts very much as a semi expressway with only a few lights where there would be stops anyhow.

^what I am hoping they do is do it in the way Edmonton has done theirs, with level crossing barriers dropping as the train approaches.

The full grade separation is still the superior option. You cannot have the flexibility to use auto train control in a ROW, operational speeds will probably be slower, platforms are smaller, trains will have to interact with traffic etc... There's simply no benefit to running a ROW along this corridor. Trench the line, like what we've done with Yonge north of Bloor, south of Eglinton and we'll have far superior transit operations.

Last edited:
So between Jane and Scarlett there are no lights. Between scarlet and royal York, there are no lights. Between Royal york and islington there ia only one light. Betwwen islington and kipling there ia one light at a strip mall on the north side which could easily be restricted to allow for only right turns. Between Kipling and martingrove, only one light for the richview plaza and the north siee apartment complex. The LRT being traffic separated here makes next to no difference s every intersection with lights can easily be restricted to allow for only right hand turns or that intersection will host a station. The ROW is large so just make it at grade through there. This section of eglinton acts very much as a semi expressway with only a few lights where there would be stops anyhow.

You live in central etobicoke eh? I was going to head out to Kipling and Eglinton if the LRT got built soon. Maybe it will if we apply some pressure.

The full grade separation is still the superior option. You cannot have the flexibility to use auto train control in a ROW, operational speeds will probably be slower, platforms are smaller, trains will have to interact with traffic etc... There's simply no benefit to running a ROW along this corridor.

But the incremental benefit to having a separated ROW is negligible, while the cost of having one is not, investing the money instead to use a shorter route from Eglinton to the airport would be far more worthwhile.

I'm not sure what townhouses you're talking about. Its my understanding that all undeveloped lands are owned by Toronto. The only developed parts are between Scarlett and Royal York.

Regardless of if parts were sold to a developer, all of the undeveloped corridor could be used. The city would just have to buy or expropriate those lands.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...nton-Condos-(Cityzen-Fernbrook-3s-Tact)/page3

so part of the corridor is sold and under construction... I too agree that this part of Eglinton is like a mini highway with few lights... The cheapest option is the best option because its the most likely option...

I mention the ROW simply for ease of construction I suppose. I can't ever see the demand on this portion of eglinton ever getting so high as to need ATC. The three car train will be more than enough. The lrt also promotes more street level growth here as well. There is a difference between traveling through somewhere and traveling along somewhere. Full grade separation where it's full capacity will never be warranted is like buying a Ferrari to go to the grocery store on Fridays. You won't ever forseeably need it its full potential and an SUV would have serves the purpose just as well and probably better.

Last edited:
If I am correct the LRT would go through Frances Nunziata (councillor_nunziata@toronto.ca) a supporter of Rob Fords ward. She was not for at grade transit and fought against the St Clair Street car going into her ward (which is one of the reasons why it stops immediately after keele instead of going to Jane.) I dont know if she is actually against at grade transit or if like a lot of city councillors she just likes to snuggle up to the mayor. Either way she helped Weston get a grade separated LRT... Now I am not suggesting that we should build something other then ROW to make this councillor happy because one we dont know what her real feeling of at grade transit are and two because Rob Ford wont be around forever.

For the love of all things holy don't. I live near Scarlett and Eg and there is nothing but ravines (gorgeous BTW) and large lots for miles. This area lacks sense of community vis a vis a common street level retail strip. Im hoping the street related retail at Perspeftive Condos juat down the street can help alleviate this. I used to live in old city of York and it was just better all around imho.

Last edited:
Weston grade separation was more a matter of operations to the yard and practicality regarding property/row acquisition. But I have a feeling Ford's koolaid has pretty much taken hold of her for some the future

I mention the ROW simply for ease of construction I suppose.

The ROW isn't exactly easier to construct. That would involve tearing up the street, widening it, laying the tracks down the middle etc... The trenching solution would have little impact on traffic during construction and in operations. Construction costs of the two should be similar, but maintenance of the trenched option should be lower.

The lrt also promotes more street level growth here as well. There is a difference between traveling through somewhere and traveling along somewhere.

I do agree with you on this. Trenching the LRT would make development on the north side of Eglinton very difficult in some parts.

Whatever is done here will have to be carefully thought out. There is an opportunity to create a vibrant retail strip similar to what we see on Danforth.

Last edited:

Back