News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

and I repeat, nobody has any idea what ticket prices will be. so stop saying it will cost $30.

The Ontario Auditor General certainly thinks it will need to be in the $30 range, each way, to break even, unless we're fine with subsiding a luxury line for wealthy business people.

also, the point is to get to the airport. if you are going to hop on a $200-$2000 flight, are really that cheap to only be willing to pay $2.65 to get there?

The cost of the flight is irrelevant.

A lot of the potential users are people who work at the airport or the surrounding area, they are not going to pay outrageous prices to use this line, they will continue to clog up the Gardiner and 401.
There's no reason that they can't sell a single ticket at $30 and a monthly pass at $150.

There's also no reason that airport workers can't be entitled to buy a pass at special pricing - which is what they do at Heathrow ... with the monthly pass on Heathrow connect from the closest station being £19.85 a month and a weekly is £5.15 a week compared to a one-way trip of £5.60. The pass pays for itself if you use it 2 days a month. If you buy an annual pass it's only From Paddington it's only £17.25 a month - about the cost of 3 trips.

A bit more expensive if you go all the way from Paddington. The weekly pass is £12.70, the monthly £48.85 and the annual £42.40 - but compare to a 1-way ticket of £9.50 or £20.00 for a non-stop express train.

It will be interesting to see if there's eventually any express trains from Union to Pearson, and what kind of pricing they'd be compared to the ones that stop at Bloor and Weston.

what I'm trying to say is that the people using this line aren't lacking $$$
??? Many airport works aren't getting much better than minimum wage. With about 100,000 or so passengers a day, compared to about 100,000 airport workers and another 80,000 in the surrounding facilities, then surely the majority of transit trips to the airport are going to be the workers, not the passengers.

Last edited:
There's no reason that they can't sell a single ticket at $30 and a monthly pass at $150.

The airport rail link does not have the capacity to accommodate the hundreds of thousands of people working at the airport and the surrounding area that could potentially use it. Nor does it have the capacity to accommodate people going from Weston, Black Creek/Eglinton, and Dundas West to downtown at reasonable fares.

If bus #192 and the subway costs $2.65, a bus + the Eglinton light rail costs $2.65 and the airport rail link costs $20-$30, guess what people will use?

you just made me very sad.... ok i will be happy with the Eglinton line to the \AIRPORT

You could always ask for semi-frequent all-day GO service to Brampton (or beyond) and Pearson can lengthen their people mover to meet it at a relocated Malton Station.

It's not unreasonable to have both frequent GO service for employees/locals and a premium express train for tourists/business workers/those with tons of luggage on that line.

In fact, it's not unreasonable to have frequent GO service, a premium express train, AND Eglinton LRT all providing service to the airport.

Last edited:
I'm going to email the MTO to extend the Eglinton Line to Renforth. This is ridculous, pay 10 dollars when in NY it's bus fare.

MTO is not involved in subway or transit route planning. It is handled by the planning experts in Metrolinx. The Minister got involved in the transit planning on his own with no expert advice from MTO - as is evidenced by the ridiculous subway plan that he derived.

because councillors have very little knowledge of the inner workings of a provincial transit agency. what I pointed out isn't that hard to understand, the UPX tracks are on the western side of Georgetown, but the station at Union is on the eastern side, meaning that the trains must pass over up to 6 different tracks to reach it. if this were to occur every 2.5 minutes, it would make other GO operations almost impossible. the UPX operates under GO conditions, mixed rail, along with freight and VIA operations. to suggest it is a simple operation to make it a metro style service is silly. it would cost billions to do so, at which point you could build the western DRL as a subway as well as the Eglinton airport for minimally more cost. as with many cities, Toronto's airport access will remain either the premium UPX or the airport express bus. (which would take almost as long as an LRT connection anyways)

I always think of Union station as being east-west, so do you mean the UPX station is on the north side.

The obvious question is whether a reconfigures UPX line can use a different Union Platform to avoid passing over the other tracks.

The Lakeshore line should take the south platform, the Milton line the next platform, then UPX, then Kitchener, then Barrie. Hopefully there are few enough VIA trains that they can not cause that great of an interference to these other GO lines.

depends on what airport. for Newark its $12.50.
True. My mistake. As evidenced by the last few pages of this thread, Eglinton West is needed for the entire city
MTO is not involved in subway or transit route planning. It is handled by the planning experts in Metrolinx. The Minister got involved in the transit planning on his own with no expert advice from MTO - as is evidenced by the ridiculous subway plan that he derived.

Thanks. What do you think I should say.

how much money would it cost to complete the Eglinton line to the airport?

In the OneCity plan, it was listed as $1.9B for an 11km route - which is elevated only over the 401.

If we use Vancouver costing (from the Canada Line), then to build the Eglinton line fully elevated from Mount Dennis to Pearson would be 11km x $150M/km* = $1.7B.

So we are paying extra to get a worse product!

* - Canada line was $110M/km in 2006 dollars for a 60% underground and 40% elevated line. The $150M/km is obviously conservative for a fully elevated line in 2013 dollars.

I always think of Union station as being east-west, so do you mean the UPX station is on the north side.

The obvious question is whether a reconfigures UPX line can use a different Union Platform to avoid passing over the other tracks.

The Lakeshore line should take the south platform, the Milton line the next platform, then UPX, then Kitchener, then Barrie. Hopefully there are few enough VIA trains that they can not cause that great of an interference to these other GO lines.

not really as you can't dedicate a lobby space below the stairs for it, and you can't move the platform spaces currently used for GO to where the UPX currently is. (you would lose regular GO capacity)

Currently my understanding is that VIA uses 2 of the 14 platforms, leaving 12 platforms for GO to use for 7 lines. Thats why GO wants the lakeshore tunneled platform, it would give them 14 platforms for 7 lines, the ideal setup. adding the UPX to it would be even more constraining (never mind the fact that it would need its own custom platform as the UPX uses high platform trains unlike GO, as well as a specialized lobby space below to allow for the separate fare system)

Its the same reason the proposed Peterborough GO line is forced to use Summerhill as it would further limit GO capabilities at Union.

also, anyone know if the UPX will use PRESTO? I presume so.

Back