News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 919     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Metrolinx is now saying they're sticking to the original EA with stop at Leslie retained.

Seems that brief period of common sense that stated with the redesign of Mount Dennis did not continue to the east end of the tunnel.

Metrolinx needs to stop trying to make all of the loud mouth complainers happy.

Metrolinx needs to stop trying to make all of the loud mouth complainers happy.
Given that City Council has to sign off on any changes, I expect Metrolinx is terrified on putting any changes in front of council currently, given how out of control it has come with it's lack of leadership.

Councillors Stintz, Parker and Robinson are saying as datamouse said, that they're sticking with the original EA to retain Leslie stop. This is a cowardly backward step by Metrolinx which was finally making some sense and tunnelling to Don Mills, only to wimp out in the face of a few dozen condo dwellers on Leslie who never ride public transit anyway. (The bus stops are virtually empty). And as far as people going to the park, nobody takes transit to the park. They walk, bike or drive on weekends in order to haul their bbq's and picnic supplies.

Let's hope at least Metrolinx puts the surface LRT on the south lanes of Eglinton so it can still be separated from traffic until Don Mills and it will not mess up the Leslie/Eglinton intersection. This whole thing has become a joke.

What about the slope stability issues on Eglinton east of Brentcliffe? They'll be lucky if they get this thing open by 2030 if ever!

Given that City Council has to sign off on any changes, I expect Metrolinx is terrified on putting any changes in front of council currently, given how out of control it has come with it's lack of leadership.

of all things, a longer tunnel should be the one thing they can agree on.

Councillors Stintz, Parker and Robinson are saying as datamouse said, that they're sticking with the original EA to retain Leslie stop. This is a cowardly backward step by Metrolinx which was finally making some sense and tunnelling to Don Mills, only to wimp out in the face of a few dozen condo dwellers on Leslie who never ride public transit anyway. (The bus stops are virtually empty). And as far as people going to the park, nobody takes transit to the park. They walk, bike or drive on weekends in order to haul their bbq's and picnic supplies.

Let's hope at least Metrolinx puts the surface LRT on the south lanes of Eglinton so it can still be separated from traffic until Don Mills and it will not mess up the Leslie/Eglinton intersection. This whole thing has become a joke.

What about the slope stability issues on Eglinton east of Brentcliffe? They'll be lucky if they get this thing open by 2030 if ever!

Pretty much this. I was actually thinking while putting together my thesis on stop spacing that the wide gap between Don Mills and Laird did help to offset some of the more excessive stops in the east (Ferrand, Lebovic, and arguably Pharmacy and Ionview). Guess now it won't even have that.

Somehow I doubt Metrolinx is going to be so accommodating when people start complaining about the SELRT in the coming years.

If Leslie will be a stop or station, does that mean Laird will be the last station for ATC, not Don Mills?

If they make Leslie completely segregated from motor traffic somehow, they could continue the ATC until Don Mills. What form will the Leslie stop/station be now? Elevated, south of the Leslie/Eglinton intersection, railway arms, or allegedly transit priority?

What a disappointment!

Between an added, useless stop at Leslie and the need for LRVs to physically cross one of the busiest, most-congested intersections in the city - Don Mills and Eglinton - we are looking at easily a 5 minute addition in travel times and a major f%^k up in scheduling.

I am not a big fan of tunneling suburban rapid transit but the tunnel was money worth spending.

I also lost a lot of faith in two people who I used to have a great deal of respect for in transit circles: Glen Murray for reopening the Scarborough RT replacement debate for the umpteenth time and Steve Munro for crusading against a tunneled alignment to Don Mills and using "access to the park" as a red herring to get people on his side.

Transit planning in Toronto is such a farce. We don't even have Rob Ford to blame this time.

Metrolinx needs to grow a backbone. City Council is clueless. Metrolinx should be doing what they know is right, instead of appeasing people who know nothing about transit.

What a disappointment!

Between an added, useless stop at Leslie and the need for LRVs to physically cross one of the busiest, most-congested intersections in the city - Don Mills and Eglinton - we are looking at easily a 5 minute addition in travel times and a major f%^k up in scheduling.

5 minutes seems like quite a stretch for the addition of a single station.

What a disappointment!

I am not a big fan of tunneling suburban rapid transit but the tunnel was money worth spending.

I also lost a lot of faith in two people who I used to have a great deal of respect for in transit circles: Glen Murray for reopening the Scarborough RT replacement debate for the umpteenth time and Steve Munro for crusading against a tunneled alignment to Don Mills and using "access to the park" as a red herring to get people on his side.

Transit planning in Toronto is such a farce. We don't even have Rob Ford to blame this time.

Agree 100%. We talk about fact-based decision making, but here we are even though we know that the traffic generated at Leslie and Eglinton is minuscule and that with the large amount of employment and potential development at Don Mills and Eglinton means that is a logical location for increased service to terminate (see we have heard that there will be higher frequencies in the tunneled section).

This is a complete embarrassment. Metrolinx admits that they will be paying the same money for a slower, lower capacity solution.

Perhaps the lesson is that we need to make more noise that we want better solutions that serve the whole city.

What a disappointment!

Don Mills was going to be underground before the change to extend the tunnel, I don't see that changing. However the line will now have to cross the Leslie and Eglinton intersection which will likely have significant impacts to vehicle traffic as the are a large number of left turn movements there. As well it could limit the number of LRV that can reach Don Mills as having to cross the leslie intersection will limit the frequency.

I was never under the impression that Steve Munro was against extending the tunnel to Don Mills, he seemed to be in favor. And I blame Glen and Stintz for reopening the SRT, as well as making metrolinx think that it's not worth bringing the tunnel extensioin change to council for approval.

Perhaps the lesson is that we need to make more noise that we want better solutions that serve the whole city.

About that

So many here on UT passionately debate transit issues, dedicating a significant amount of time to it. Perhaps instead of simply debating it here on UT, more members should take a more active role and take their concerns directly to Metrolinx. Nothing will change by simply discussing it here on UT. But we do have the potential to change things if we alert those in a position of power about our concerns.

Back